• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

January 010 Boards!!!

Triumph57

When I went to MEPS I was the only officer candidate among 100+ people enlisting. I was told to wear a suit and I did. Half of the other people there were in PT gear or their pajamas. I stuck out like a sour thumb and everyone asked me about it. My name tag was also a different style than everyone else's. I didn't get any special treatment though. I waited in line with everyone else to see the doctor, have my eye exam, etc.

blarged

ready
Night before MEPS I went to the hotel and got all signed in. Found out that since I was going as an OC I got my own hotel room instead of sharing like all the other guys. They gave us meal tickets but told me I wasn't required to meet up with them at all and I could drive myself over to MEPS instead of taking the bus. In the morning, however, I was walking out of the elevator with my backpack when a guy got all upset at me cause I wasn't on time for the bus, but I could probably still catch it if I ran. I just told him the previous day someone else told me I didn't have to take the bus. He's like, Oooh your my officer candidate, gotcha.

At MEPS, there was no special treatment, though. Sounds like that just varies by location. I was only there with about 40 kids so it wasn't that big of a deal. Done by noon if I remember correctly.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had a similar experience getting my blood drawn. I could almost swear she didn't change her gloves from the last guy. She poked me, started moving my arm back and forth very hard and then threw a band-aid on me two inches away from where it needed to go and pushed me out the door.

I'll never forget when the doctor said bend over and spread your cheeks.

LOL. She's trying to protect herself from you and the rest of the rabble, not the other way around.

Now if the Doc didn't put on a fresh pair of gloves, then you'd have cause to worry!

nugget61

pilot
Ha, I'll be going back to meps on tuesday as well. Thankfully I only have to get my prints taken (again) and don't have to do the whole shebang. Apparently your fingerprints expire after a month... who knew.

visual_scan

I'll never forget when the doctor said bend over and spread your cheeks.

I had a female doctor, and another female doctor was in the room who was observing for the day... she looked almost like a little lawn gnome, with bright red-rimmed glasses... she stared at me with a gaze that was slightly off direct eye contact. Then the male nurse came into the room to supervise, and we practically had a little party in there. The doc literally said, "bend over and spread your butt cheeks."

Gus Gorilla

Visual, that does sound like a party. I had an old old old German doctor that narrarated the whole experience. "Und nov ve vill chek zee feet. slightly flat but no prublem. Und now, if zer iz no problem ve vill chek zee testicals." etc. etc. Through the whole thing all I could think is how funny it would be if he said "moose and squirrel" in that accent (Rocky and Bowinkle)
As for prefferential treatment for being OC...no way. I got good treatment for being prior E. No underwear olympics and nobody yelled at me for being an inch off of their marks. The HM3 that was doing eyes was kind or arrogant until he saw I was prior E-5 then he was all Joe-Cool budy buddy. Total crap since "prior" is the operative word here. At this point I'm still just a civilian, same as everyone else. But I can't complain. Being treated like a human at MEPS was a complete 180 from my first time around.

flyman3456

Goshawk
I just got off the phone with a buddy who just classed up for API. He had to wait 7 months after graduating OCS to class up. Furthermore, they were just informed that due to budget cuts, they are dropping the bottom 20% of the class. He said that they need to get rid 80 out of 400. He said they would do this in one of two ways. Either cut the bottom 20%, or raise the pass/fail bar for API tests to 90% or higher. In addition, he said that due to three training accidents, the majority of the T-34 fleet has been grounded since October which adds even more delays. I have another friend that took the ROTC route. He just graduated and commissioned. They are facing similar cuts even before classing up!

This information may not affect us since our graduation dates are farther down the road. For all those selected, consider yourselves lucky!

Food for thought.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Also, your buddy who just classed up for API doesn't really know anything either. He may have the "gouge" on cuts at API...but he doesn't know the T-34 situation. Also, not to paint a grim picture..but the people who are the least "safe" from any kind of purge are the guys who the Navy has spent the least amount of money on. This could reach as far back as people who were just selected. Raising the test score minimum or cutting out the bottom "x" percent of a class is an age old tactic in chopping the numbers...this has been going on for at least 50 years if not longer.

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
Also raising minimums and what not probably won't happen right away (speculation). They are handing out pink sheets left and right so its much more likely that a good number will pink sheet their way out of the navy before those changes take place (also speculation). The only facts out there is that its going to be a long wait for API for the foreseeable future (currently classing up at 26-30 weeks for pilots) and that no one is getting orders to Corpus for the time being for whatever reason.

Anyhow, you folks going to OCS have much different concerns for the near future without worrying about Pcola :)

govols

SNA/SNFO BDCP pro rec, going to meps on monday, question for those who have done it

what did you wear? i saw some guy wore a suit, and others work out clothes, any advice from a practical perspective

also PRT on monday after MEPS, obviously hydration, plenty of sleep and good food a few days before (and day of) other than that any advice. with a PRT there are curl ups (sit ups) push ups and a 1.5 mile run, I believe the run is the last part, what is the first part?

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
SNA/SNFO BDCP pro rec, going to meps on monday, question for those who have done it

what did you wear? i saw some guy wore a suit, and others work out clothes, any advice from a practical perspective

also PRT on monday after MEPS, obviously hydration, plenty of sleep and good food a few days before (and day of) other than that any advice. with a PRT there are curl ups (sit ups) push ups and a 1.5 mile run, I believe the run is the last part, what is the first part?

Congrats to All!

I can't speak to this particular situation but in my 5 years of Navy experience it seemed as though we always did curl ups, push ups, and run. That was 4 years ago so it may have changed or it could be up to the person in charge of doing the PRT. I hope this helps a little.

markkyle66

Considering that you will be at MEPS for a while, wear something comfortable that you can take on/off without hassle. Usually your OR will hint at what is appropriate, but I don't think it matters from what I saw there. I wore my standard gators gym clothes and some running shoes.

PRT is typically Pushups or Situps and then the Run... atleast everytime I did it. Drink water the night of!

RSWilson

I'm a little late to the party but I thought I'd let you guys know.

Non-select for SNA and NFO.

7/8/8 61
2.4 with a BS in Mechanical Engineering
3 LORs from prior Navy, 2 of which were officers

Reapp as soon as I can.

Did go to MEPS though last Friday. Was the only OC there with about 60 Guard guys and gals. Aced depth perception, could have done better on the vision test as the lady didn't explain how anything in the scope would look and was pushing me through as quickly as possible. Could have also done better on hearing as I didn't exactly understand how that was going to work either but passed it and also got 20/20 on vision. As per special treatment, everyone there seemed fond of pointing out that I was the only OC in the room repeatedly so I left with about 60 Es already hating me.