• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jessica Lynch speaks out

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Mike DeLong, who was Deputy CINC during OIF, had an interesting response to this issue in the Early Bird yesterday: http://ebird.afis.mil/ebfiles/e20070427508926.html

Essentially, he says that West Virginia politicians were the ones really pushing the "hero" aspect, which Army public affairs types (who, like all PA types, aren't exactly warfighters) picked up and ran with - assisted by the Legislative Liaison types as well. When DeLong got the request for the CMH, he rightly sat on it, which apparently made the Congress folks quite unhappy.

He also made the comment that the execution of the rescue operation was in and of itself a high water mark. I'd lump it in with the Son Tay operation - even though it wasn't exactly what we were expecting, the execution was still daring and flawless.

Looks like she got a makeover, too.

That's a bit of an understatement!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... West Virginia politicians were the ones really pushing the "hero" aspect, which Army public affairs types ...picked up and ran with - assisted by the Legislative Liaison types as well......

Politicians + "PA types" + legislative liaison = excrement, propaganda, and frequently dishonor those who actually did something and/or paid the ultimate price.

And to even mention the MH
in this case is disgraceful and unbelievable (I'm assuming that's what you meant when you said "CMH" -- as I must be a security risk and therefore don't have Early Bird access :)) . I'm sorry to keep banging the same 'ol drum ... well, not really .... but keep the women OUT of the men's combat units and OUT of combat areas. The military ain't an affirmative action jobs program.

The only surprise to me, personally, is that this is news today.

Can we have a show of hands of those who believed ANYTHING regarding the "heroics" of Pvt. Lynch when the story first came out ... ?????

Anyone ... ??? Anyone ... ???

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Can we have a show of hands of those who believed ANYTHING regarding the "heroics" of Pvt. Lynch when the story first came out ... ?????

Anyone ... ??? Anyone ... ???
[/B]

I saw some hands raise in this crowd ...
reporters.jpg

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whether she was a "hero" or not is irrelevant. What is relevant is that the military came and saved her ass and now she can't even STFU or simply say, "Thank you."

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor
She could however, sign a $1 million book deal (split between her and the author) to get her story out.

I'd say she's done her fair share of exploiting the situation, just as the gov't has.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Shoshana who?

What, someone else was a POW and rescued? Did this just happen? Why didn't I hear about it?

BackOrdered

Contributor
Shoshana who?

What, someone else was a POW and rescued? Did this just happen? Why didn't I hear about it?

No kidding! I fact, MEN were captured too in Iraq! In this army of equals surely you've seen all the coverage the men received?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No kidding! I fact, MEN were captured too in Iraq! In this army of equals surely you've seen all the coverage the men received?

Two of the three women involved in the incident were unique. Spc Johnson was the first American black servicewoman who became a POW and Spc Piestewa was the first Native American servicewoman to be killed in combat.

Women involved in frontline combat is still a bit of a novelty and these women exemplified the danger they face, along with their male colleagues.

Quit whining about it, I wouldn't want to trade places with any of them......

As for male POW's getting press, what about this guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Young

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Two of the three women involved in the incident were unique. Spc Johnson was the first American black servicewoman who became a POW and Spc Piestewa was the first Native American servicewoman to be killed in combat.

Women involved in frontline combat is still a bit of a novelty and these women exemplified the danger they face, along with their male colleagues.

Quit whining about it, I wouldn't want to trade places with any of them......

As for male POW's getting press, what about this guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Young
I think the operative word through all of this is "POW". Really, who cares if it's the first woman POW, or first Native American POW, or first black servicewoman POW, or first albino midget POW. Is it that much of a novelty that we now need to have different categories of POW's? Only true categories of POW's that really matter are those that survive and get to come home and those that do not.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
I think the operative word through all of this is "POW". Really, who cares if it's the first woman POW, or first Native American POW, or first black servicewoman POW, or first albino midget POW. Is it that much of a novelty that we now need to have different categories of POW's? Only true categories of POW's that really matter are those that survive and get to come home and those that do not.

As long as the feminazi's control the media you'll continue to see a big deal being made every time there's a female POW that they think they can get mileage from.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
As long as the feminazi's control the media you'll continue to see a big deal being made every time there's a female POW that they think they can get mileage from.

Didn't hurt that she isn't hard on the eyes.