• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jose Jimenez... on approach

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
One of my favorite clips from "The Right Stuff"... Sounds like Jose had a little EGTL...No grade!

B

Blutonski816

Al Shepard's try at Jose Jimenez is why I like to tell my folks that the first free man in space was actually Mexican... and he went up on Cinco De Mayo of all days...:D

people06.jpg

You are on your way, Jose!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
/Threadjack

Anyone else every pissed off when on some gameshow (a la cash cab), some moron gets the "hard" question of "who was the first American in Space" or "who was the first man in space"? And the knucklehead says "John Glenn"??

Cash cab owes me at least like $3k by now...

/Threadjack

Anyone else every pissed off when on some gameshow (a la cash cab), some moron gets the "hard" question of "who was the first American in Space" or "who was the first man in space"? And the knucklehead says "John Glenn"??

Incredibly specific situation, so no, but I do get pissed off whenever I watch cash cab. Something about the pause between the peoples' answers and the guy's response. Half a second too long...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Alright...instead of threadjacking...like a three name having member who shall remain nameless...;)

I'll ask the stupid question...EGTL?

Hey...I fly EP-3's...:D:confused:

B

Blutonski816

/Threadjack

not specifically gameshows... but in general, yeah...
anytime Glenn gets named ahead of my boyhood hero, I do get an urge to administer five-fingers-to-face corrective treatment.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....I'll ask the stupid question...EGTL? Hey...I fly EP-3's...
Ease(d) Gun To Land .... started in the prop days, so you Electra Drivers better get w/ the program. :D

In other words -- he NEPIC-AR and CDTL'ed as a result ... :)

Not good technique and not a very good LSO "descriptive term" ... there's others that are mo' bettah.

The guy doin' it is huntin' for a NO GRADE on my deck ...
:)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... Sounds like Jose had a little EGTL...No grade!
Actually .... it looks like he was right on the money -- mebbe a little LULIC -- it's small deck, i.e., a 27C ... the distance from the ramp to the #3 wire (and #1 wire :eek:) is much less than most of you are used to on the big decks ...

The bird was a VX-5 (China Lake) A-4 and "Jose" has a VA-122 helmet on ... which was "SPAD SCHOOL" when RADM Shepard was flyin' @ PAX River -- not VX-5. VA-122 later became "CORSAIR COLLEGE" w/ the arrival of the A-7's on the West Coast.

Hollywood strikes again ... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
CHECK FIRE!! CHECK FIRE !!!

ACTUALLY ... (I'll second guess myself here ... ) it looks more like a Midway class, i.e., Coral Maru, Midway, or FDR .... check the old gun tubs on the fantail. Plus, its got a Gatling on the starboard side aft -- so no 27C deck here ....

PLUS ... it has a "flush" LSO platform ... so most likely a West Coast boat ...

Still ... looks like he was right on w/ the pass ... :)

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
"They want to make me an astronaut? Oh, I hope not..."

Great scene, when men were men.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I hope you're not implying that you can only get a "power in the wires" in the T-45.
Well gee, I'm sure as a fleet-experienced NFO-to-pilot transition he had no clue. Quit taking cheap shots at SNAs.