• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JSF to be "Lightning II"

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks like Air Force Chief of Staff will publicly proclaim the F-35 to be the "Lightning II" at the rollout ceremony on 7 July. That name was considered for the F-22, but dropped in favor of Raptor. Would have made more sense as the original Lightning, the P-38, had twin engines as does the F-22, but the big guy has his reasons I suppose. So much for "Fury" or "Phoenix" or...."Shocker" (an AW proposal). Of course, as with "Fighting Falcon" (better known as the Viper), we may see if the actual folks who fly the F-35 come up with something else.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If enough people refer to it as the shocker then it has to stick eventually!

Hey, you A-holes. Stop stealing the name for MY new jet.

ef18g.jpg

Brett

mo7stanley

This must be version 2.0 of what will the name of the JSF be? If they name the JSF lightning it will probably be difficult to keep people from calling it the shocker.

Why not just compromise and call it the shocker II?

Because it is gay to have a secondary name with II in it.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
]I think Lightening II is a great name. The P-38 was one of the most badass planes in history, and my personal fav from WWII. I hope the F-35 can live up to it's namesake

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
So is that just what the Navy is going to call it and the USN and USMC will call it something diff?

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
]I think Lightening II is a great name. The P-38 was one of the most badass planes in history, and my personal fav from WWII. I hope the F-35 can live up to it's namesake

You just like the P-38 because it has propellors :icon_tong

pdx

HSM Pilot
Of course, as with "Fighting Falcon" (better known as the Viper), we may see if the actual folks who fly the F-35 come up with something else.

I heard the AF tried to name one of their planes the Thunderbolt II. Has anyone ever encountered this name?

cough ... warthog ... cough.

Still, I agree with P-3s, the Lightening was a badass plane.