• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JSF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gomer157

Does anyone know when the JSF is going to enter service? I know it's a number of years off but I was just curious. When the Marines get it, how much longer will they be flying the Hornet? Will it be a really gradual transition or will it only take a couple years?

Attilla

It should start popping up sometime around 2008 I believe. I am not sure but I think they will use it to phase out the Harrier before the Hornet.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Man I can't wait to see that beautiful airplane start hitting the airshow circut! (Or hopefully by then I'll actually be in the military and starting flight training) The F-35 is gonna be awesome.

Philippians 4:13
Proverbs 16:9
Romans 10:9

lvgravy

I was at Edwards AFB last year and was able to see it up close when it was still the X-35. It's a really mean looking jet, didn't get to see it fly but I was able to see the F22 fly..awsome

"Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid"
-unknown

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I just watched a documentary on the JSF on the History channel. I wanted to bump this thread, and see if anyone else has some solid information on when student pilots will be able to select this aircraft out of primary? rough guesstimate? Thanks.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
You'll never select the JSF out of primary. First you have to select jets then after you do the TS T-45 program then you might get a chance. The last I read was the Marines get it in 2008 ish then the Chair Force will start their buy in 2010 and the Navy in 2012. That is all still up in the air. The Air Force is trying to buy FB-22's so that would increase their F-22 buy and might let the Navy start buying the JSF a little earlier. Still a while down the road for anyone in the program now.

Dave

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I have a question for some of those guys already flying. How hard is it to transfer from one type of jet to another?

Ben

Hey Pat, are they going to go with the Pratt or the GE engine, I thought they were still testing both and haven't decided.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Well, guys flying S-3's, Prowlers and Tomcats will be transitioning to some variant of the F-18.

And the JSF will use both engines. They will both use the exact engine mounts and wiring harnesses. They will be completely interchangable with each other.

Dave

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
They're going to use the Pratt and the GE? How's that going to work? One varent will you one type and another another? so it's going to be 2 contracts insted of one?

Ben

twidget

Deskaholic
Just thought I'd share this little tidbit from Navytimes.com from the article titled: "Too fat to fight"

It’s only two years into development, and already the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter is overweight and facing a development delay of at least a year. The problems will cost the Defense Department billions of dollars and dozens of jets.

Originally scheduled to begin in 2006, low-rate initial production for the conventional and STOVL variants will have to wait until 2007. The carrier version will begin initial production in 2008, as originally planned.

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
All variants will use either engine. The airframes in all the variations of the JSF will be able to take either engine. You could pull out a pratt and stick a GE in it. Go to the JSF home page and you can read about it.

Dave

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It's very difficult to switch from one type of aircraft to another. Your best chance to do that kind of thing is to go to test pilot school, or another billet of that type, where you'll get to fly multiple aircraft.

The only easy way to convert from one airframe to another is to be in an aircraft being phased out. When the Harrier starts to go away, those guys will become JSF pilots. There is a limit, though. If you have over 13 (I think--have to read the order) years of service, you won't transition unless you're slated for command--waste of money. You'll have to go to permanent staff hiatus.

TechGuru

I heard a few rumors about the JSF being cancled or pushed back pretty far. Is any of this true? And if it is, why are they doing this besides maybe the fact it might be a little over weight

I really, really doubt JSF will be canceled. Pushed back, maybe. Canceled, not likely. There's WAY too much riding on that bird. THREE services want and need it. It's also already out flying in test situations.
But if it DID get canceled, you gotta realize that leaves the Navy with nothing but Hornets and Super Hornets as tactical fighters all the way to about 2020 or so. Probably not a good idea.

ODO

Hey Phrog Driver, where'd you get that info about, "over 13 years of service, you won't transition unless slated for command." I am prior enlisted with 11 yrs in and am currently in advanced flight training due to select Harrier, Hornet, or Prowler in about 5 months. I think it would be practical for me to select Hornets, which is my first choice. So, if you can point me in the direction where to find this info, I can probably convince my senior officials on how practical it would be for me to be selected for the F/A-18 Hornet.

THX ODO

Status
Not open for further replies.