• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Jump School?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Apparently not --- since I don't believe the Navy has ever sent Aviators to jump school. There might be a "special" reason in some Hollywood-esque scenario ... but .... I can't think of what it might be ..... :)

If you want to go --- do it on your "own time" when you are in college --- i.e., summer cruise at the Boat School or NROTC. That's when I did it --- Junior Summer for 3 weeks and 5 jumps. We had quotas.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Don't know about military applications, but as you need a military reason to jump and you must be current --- I suspect NO. The military has guys who do it for a living if UNCLE needs "airborne". But you can probably "jump" as a civilian to your heart's content --- some other guys on the board who are into skydiving could probably answer that aspect better than I ...

At this point in my life --- jumping out of an airplane when I don't have to ranks right up there with "practicing bleeding" as fun things to do .... :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
Can you still jump while in the fleet? Assuming one has been to Jump School like you did, A4s.
I can't imagine that you would have many opportunities to jump, much less maintain the currency requirements that I presume that community must have.

Brett

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
So do you suppose if I requested orders to jump school on a break there's a chance the request would be honored? I'm an OC, so I don't go on summer cruises, but we do have breaks in the summer up to a month long.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
Can you still jump while in the fleet? Assuming one has been to Jump School like you did, A4s.

I currently do civilian jumps pretty much every weekend during the spring/summer/fall(plus this weekend, new rig comes in Wednesday! :D). From what I understand I will still be able to do it through flight school, from the people I've spoken w/ I would have to ORM it and report that I will be doing it prior to the weekend though.

Kevin

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
A4sForever said:
If you want to go --- do it on your "own time" when you are in college --- i.e., summer cruise at the Boat School or NROTC.
What if a guy is schedualed to be stashed in a pool for a loooong time? Would that count as one's "own time?"

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Navy/MC is not going to pay money for you to become a "Five Jump Chump" just so you have something to do in your downtime. It's a waste of time, money, and a spot for someone who could use it. If you're stashed for a long time, you'll get a stash job or have the time off.

Go skydive if you want to jump out of an airplane.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
There was a candidate at my OSO's office who recently graduated who took 4 1/2 years to graduate. That summer before his last semester (he had already completed jrs. and srs.) he went to jump school and got his wings. He said he called the Marine detachment at Fort Benning and gave them his info. He said it was a kind of a long process with a lot of phone calls but in the end he got to go. I am in the same boat as him. I am planning on graduating with 4 1/2 years total and since I will have already completed jrs. and srs. by the time of that last summer I am planning on trying to get into jump school as he did.

plc67

pilot
At one time the Marine Corps had an outfit called ANGLICO(Air Naval Gunfire Liason Company), and the naval aviators assigned to them were sent to the basic airborne course. The thinking being that in a joint assault with the Army Airborne a Marine tactical air control party would jump with them to co-ordinate with the navy and Marine Corps.

SgtUSMC

plc67 said:
At one time the Marine Corps had an outfit called ANGLICO(Air Naval Gunfire Liason Company), and the naval aviators assigned to them were sent to the basic airborne course. The thinking being that in a joint assault with the Army Airborne a Marine tactical air control party would jump with them to co-ordinate with the navy and Marine Corps.
"1st ANGLICO was (Officially) reactivated on Friday, September 19th 2003.
2nd ANGLICO was (Officially) reactivated on Friday, July 11th 2003."

"At present, five ANGLICO companies currently exist in the United States Marine Corps:
1st ANGLICO - I Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Pendleton, California
2nd ANGLICO - 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.
3rd ANGLICO - Marine Forces Reserve at Terminal Island, Long Beach, California
4th ANGLICO - Marine Forces Reserve at West Palm Beach, Florida,
5th ANGLICO - III Marine Expeditionary Force on Okinawa, Japan."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-Naval_Gunfire_Liaison_Company

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
You can skydive while you are active duty if you fill out the propper ORM worksheet.... but not while you're in OCS... at least, don't get caught doing it while you're at OCS.

Here at NASP, the MWR has discounts for first time jumps at the local dropzone.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
I've only got a few jumps down, but one of the guys at my local dropzone is Army Airborne. According to him, the jumps they have you do for airborne are total jokes. Static line, round chutes, not really any fun. If you have the time and money, I'd strongly suggest signing up for some AFF (accelerated freefall) classes. It's a great time, you won't regret it. Great way to conquer a fear of heights, too. Besides, you can do civilian skydiving on a weekend, without having to pack up for 3 weeks at Fort Benning. 2 weeks of ground training vs. 8 hours before they give you a real chute. And of course, there is no better way to prove you're crazy than being an aviator who jumps out of planes for recreation.