• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Killer Shots

phrogpilot73

p.s. the pics of the Blues at 700kts 20' off the water in SF are some of the most incredible shots I've ever seen...
This has been discussed ad naseum, but I'm pretty sure that he wasn't at 700 kts, because he would have exceeded the speed of sound. I was surprised with the write up, because he said "transsonic" and actually did research. He said 700 mph, which is less than the speed of sound.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
I have to say, I have been an avid jet and air show addict since about the age of 10. Knowing that, those are some of the best pics I have ever seen. I will be browsing those again and again for the weeks to come. Keep up the good work!

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
This has been discussed ad naseum, but I'm pretty sure that he wasn't at 700 kts, because he would have exceeded the speed of sound. I was surprised with the write up, because he said "transsonic" and actually did research. He said 700 mph, which is less than the speed of sound.

sorry, i mistyped.. i meant 700mph.

anyway... just thought you'd enjoy the pics

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

True, although I'm not so sure about his quote "forget about oblique shock wave theory".....I'm really straining my brain to think back to Thermo, but I'm pretty sure the angle of the wave had to do w/ the shape of the object the air was being decelerated around. Maybe an aero E wants to shed some light....

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
FYI...............:D

700kts = 805mph

Speed of sound (dry air at sea level) = 770mph

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
FYI...............:D

700kts = 805mph

Speed of sound (dry air at sea level) = 770mph
orly.jpg

tiger84

LT
pilot
True, although I'm not so sure about his quote "forget about oblique shock wave theory".....I'm really straining my brain to think back to Thermo, but I'm pretty sure the angle of the wave had to do w/ the shape of the object the air was being decelerated around. Maybe an aero E wants to shed some light....

Yeah, it does depend on the shape of the object. Most of the basic theoretical stuff deals with a shockwave forming at the apex of a wedge, so varying the angle of the wedge will change the angle of the shockwave. There's a decent flash based shockwave simulator that NASA put together as part of their idiot's guide to all things aerospace, but I can't find the exact page. This page has a decent explanation of oblique shockwave properties.

Edit: the simulator is about halfway down the page I linked to.

/nerd talk

UMichfly

pilot
None
Easy there Sparky...there are lots of people out there just waiting to prove you wrong...most of them smartass medical techs at NAMI.

/end threadjack