• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Killer Shots

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah, it does depend on the shape of the object. Most of the basic theoretical stuff deals with a shockwave forming at the apex of a wedge, so varying the angle of the wedge will change the angle of the shockwave. There's a decent flash based shockwave simulator that NASA put together as part of their idiot's guide to all things aerospace, but I can't find the exact page. This page has a decent explanation of oblique shockwave properties.

Edit: the simulator is about halfway down the page I linked to.

/nerd talk

Right, so I was just wondering if the fact that only the local flow was supersonic (or transitional) makes this theory incorrect like the guy was claiming? I thought it was more a function of shape, rather than freestream velocity. And my god....I cant believe I just typed that. Seriously..../nerd stuff......:)

tiger84

LT
pilot
Right, so I was just wondering if the fact that only the local flow was supersonic (or transitional) makes this theory incorrect like the guy was claiming? I thought it was more a function of shape, rather than freestream velocity. And my god....I cant believe I just typed that. Seriously..../nerd stuff......:)

All it takes is for some of the flow to be supersonic, hence the localized shockwaves in the pic, so as far as I know the theory should still apply. M<1 gives you no shock, M=1 gives you a normal shock, and M>1 gives you an oblique shock, notwithstanding the discussion of bow shocks and the like. I haven't thought about this crap in a year or more though, so I'm definitely not an expert.