• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Kneeboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
[threadjack]
I bet if you take a poll, AW (and the military at large for that matter) probably has an unproportionally high anti-Apple sentiment. In part because the tree-hugging hippies made it theirs, along with hybrids, and irrational views on human behavior (see: liberalism). :)
Smilies in effect.
I recently got a Microsoft Zune. Way better than Video Ipod. Couldn't be happier with the decision to get it.
[/threadjack]

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Steve Jobs is the devil.

The afore-mentioned mp3 player is a finicky, buggy piece of crap, but what other real choices do you have?

If you use a Macintosh:

-It is because you are too arrogant to interface with the rest of the rugged, bare-metal, self-modified, individulistic, former-DOS world.

-It means you are too lazy to figure out how to upgrade a system, so you just buy a whole new machine.

-You choose spend more on the looks of your computer (a DATA processing machine!!!) than the actual functionality.

-You are likely the kind of academic I loathe.

-Starbucks is too mainstream for you, so you only buy Peet's. You reek of elitism and entitlement.

-Your machine may look like an over-sized cough drop on the outside, but it's core, the processing heart, has "Intel" burned into it. YOU are decieved. YOU are in denial! HOW DOES IT FEEL TO LOSE YOUR SOUL?!!!

-And the greatest irony, is that Microsoft is moving toward UNIX. The hackers, trojans, and spyware WILL come to YOU soon enough, and the only legitimate selling point for the endangered species you protect will dissappear forever.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
This is a habit you should break, IMO. Generally, the two pockets do nothing but get in the way. Anything which is stowed in there can go elsewhere more effectively. The less stuff you have on your kneeboard, the better off you are. There's absolutely no reason you need to take a whiz wheel up with you; those are for on the ground. Pilot math will suffice in the air; you're not doing wind triangles.

Pockets and glareshields(if IP lets you) are for stowing charts and approach plates. I keep my kneeboard to put checklists/kneeboard cards/jet logs on, write down freqs and clearances and stow pencils. The other leg has an IFR strap to hold the current approach plate. Random crap you almost never need (A/FD for the civvies, IFR Sup for us, etc.) stays in the navbag in case the planets align.

Just my opinion FWIW, and even that will likely change in a multicrew grey jet, but that's what got me through flight school.

Oh, and I use the Wings Soft-G, again, FWIW.

Absolutly. I don't usually have my e6b but sometimes your instructor will have you do ground speech checks (syllabus). I just like the three pockets so I don't leave charts in the plane and it keeps crap from flying around if we get into some good turbulenc (which happens frequently). But I really like your suggestion of keeping IFR stuff on the other knee. I never even thought about doing that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
[threadjack]
I bet if you take a poll, AW (and the military at large for that matter) probably has an unproportionally high anti-Apple sentiment. In part because the tree-hugging hippies made it theirs, along with hybrids, and irrational views on human behavior (see: liberalism). :)
Smilies in effect.
I recently got a Microsoft Zune. Way better than Video Ipod. Couldn't be happier with the decision to get it.
[/threadjack]

Good luck w/ all that DRM....

And as for the threadjack, it's no big deal, as there's already 500 other kneeboard threads.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18079&highlight=kneeboard
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14474&highlight=kneeboard
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132322&highlight=kneeboard

To name a few.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Absolutly. I don't usually have my e6b but sometimes your instructor will have you do ground speech checks (syllabus). I just like the three pockets so I don't leave charts in the plane and it keeps crap from flying around if we get into some good turbulenc (which happens frequently). But I really like your suggestion of keeping IFR stuff on the other knee. I never even thought about doing that.
Whatever works for you; everybody's got their own system and YMMV. But I noticed early on that the ASA 3-pocket kneeboard I flew with in IFS/Civilian world was unwieldly and bulky once I got in the T-34/T-45. Has a lot to do with stick and throttle placement. And minimizing the stuff you carry is always a good thing as long as you have what you need. In the Navy pipeline, though, you don't want to be that guy trying to go up VFR on FAM-1 or C4001 with 2 kneeboards, a whizwheel and a pile of extraneous gewgaws.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
On Star Trek Spock was holding a whiz-wheel to figure out the decaying orbit for the Enterprise. Hilarious.

Carno

Insane

Blegh, you actually bought a Microsoft Zune?! That thing is no better than an iPod. They are both **** products made by two companies that are obsessed with controlling everything in the computer world. I have no love for Microsoft or Apple. The only reason I dislike Apple more is merely because Microsoft's products suck less than Apple's.

There are some badass mp3 players that are much cheaper and better than iPods or Zunes (what a sh*tty name too).

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I was hoping iRiver would step up the memory on the Clix. They hadn't when I decided to get the Zune. Also another huge factor was that Microsoft is a big enough brand that people will develop hardwire kits for cars (like they have for ipods) which was important to me. Feel free to PM me with what I should have got.

On the actual topic:
I use a Wings Soft-G. I couldn't imagine needing anything more, and they sell it at the local pilot supply store.

Carno

Insane
Well, that is one big bonus I suppose. That isn't so important to me, but then I only ever listen to my mp3 player when I have to take a long trip or fly commercially.

Anyways, I have a pretty plain kneeboard. It's just a flat piece of metal with a clip on the top and an elastic leg strap. The only time I wish I had something different is when I have to fly a plane that doesn't have any pockets, which isn't all that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.