• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

KPNS Name Change

KBayDog

Attention all Panhandle-ites:

"Pensacola Gulf Coast Regional Airport" is now "Pensacola International Airport."

(The fact that it offers no international departures or arrivals is irrelevant - it's now an International Airport. Why? Because "they" said it is, that's why.)

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I can't wait to request an approach at "international" and chuckle over the radio.

KBayDog

I can't wait to request an approach at "international" and chuckle over the radio.

Yeah, operated through there quite a bit today, and TRACON apparently didn't get the memo that the name changed...or, they're just going to continue calling it what it actually is: A podunk regional airport.

In any event, I guess you can get international flights out of PNS (as long as you don't mind a little layover at Hartsfield).

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I always thought there had to be a Customs office on site to rate "International." Well I guess not- go figure!

By the way, just now I decided that the driveway out front of my house is an "international" driveway. I think I'll get some beers and have a ribbon cutting ceremony.

@KBay, about a year or two ago there were a lot of hurt feelings in the business world up and down the redneck riviera over who's airport would have "Gulf Coast" in its name. So now that Pensacola has leapfrogged the competition in Panama City, I guess the race is on to who gets the first "Spaceport..." aaaand it looks like one of the witty online commenters under the article already beat me to that idea.

@NavAir, saying "PNS" on the radio has always been a good reason to chuckle. (Good luck keeping a straight face next time you do this.)

phrogpilot73

The definition of an International Airport simply means that customs is there, and it can act as an aerial port of entry/departure...

KBayDog

@NavAir, saying "PNS" on the radio has always been a good reason to chuckle. (Good luck keeping a straight face next time you do this.)

I've also found it hi-luuuur-e-us when they try to go direct PENSI on the GPS and have a little 'Freudian Slip'...and then can't figure out why George doesn't know where, uh, "PENSI" is....

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NPA is more of an internation airport than PNS. This is another grab for the monies by bringing in "international" carriers. Good luck Pensacola.

-ea6bflyr ;)

KBayDog

The definition of an International Airport simply means that customs is there, and it can act as an aerial port of entry/departure...

Thank you, Maj Obvious.

I'm a regular visitor here...but Pensacola has certainly had its share of visitors! The French missionaries and explorers were coming here as early as the late 1600s to trade with the Native Americans.

(Actually, it's pronounced "Pee-nee-see-co-luh," which is Algonquin for "The logical place for an international airport.")

phrogpilot73

Here's my guess - Norwegian Cruise Line is thinking/working towards sailing out of Mobile (other cruise lines may be as well, but I'm certain that NCL is). PNS went through the wickets to be able to draw international cruisers to their airport, who are willing to drive to Mobile - because now they can depart from PNS as well as arrive there...

KBayDog

Here's my guess - Norwegian Cruise Line is thinking/working towards sailing out of Mobile (other cruise lines may be as well, but I'm certain that NCL is). PNS went through the wickets to be able to draw international cruisers to their airport, who are willing to drive to Mobile - because now they can depart from PNS as well as arrive there...

Carnival recently dropped Mobile like a bad habit, and told Pensacola to pound sand.

Oh, here's another good one, since P'Cola TRACON...and NDZ's controllers...are apparently underworked:

Whiting Aviation Park

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Thank you, Maj Obvious.

I'm a regular visitor here...but Pensacola has certainly had its share of visitors! The French missionaries and explorers were coming here as early as the late 1600s to trade with the Native Americans.

(Actually, it's pronounced "Pee-nee-see-co-luh," which is Algonquin for "The logical place for an international airport.")

"Does this guy know how to party or what?!

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
Well they are going across the country right now to look for new acts to sign to their label. Next stop is St Louis. Then they'll come back through Chicago on their way to Detroit... < rediculous hand gestures>