• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Laser Weapons for the navy

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
JANES DEFENSE

US Navy to develop fibre lasers

By Andrew Koch JDW Contributing Strategic Editor
Washington, DC

Within a decade the US Navy wants to develop a high-powered laser small enough to fit on a tactical combat aircraft and powerful enough to destroy fleeing ground targets, a senior service scientist said.

According to Michael Deitchman, head of the Air Warfare and Weapons Department at the Office of Naval Research, within 10 years the navy wants to develop a 100 kW fibre laser in a pod, which is able to be hung under tactical aircraft such as F-18E/F Super Hornets.

The laser, carried in a composite 1,817 litre external fuel-tank pod on the aircraft's centreline pylon, would weigh about 1,814 kg (4,000 lb) and be able to strike 20 targets in 60 seconds before needing to be recharged.

The navy and other armed services have been developing solid-state lasers (SSLs) as a future aircraft weapon, but Deitchman noted that fibre lasers offer better thermal management qualities and are less complex than solid-state devices. The army and air force continue work on scaling up the power of SSLs.

No internal gun on the F-35C... if I were a right wing conspiracy nut I might put two and two together.

BigRed389

None
raptor10 said:
JANES DEFENSE

No internal gun on the F-35C... if I were a right wing conspiracy nut I might put two and two together.

Actually Raytheon and TRW are both working on 100kW SSLs to go in a F-35A/C where the F-35B would have its lift fan. So that way it wouldn't even have to be podded, it could draw power directly from the turbine shaft and drop down as a turret.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
raptor10 said:
The laser, carried in a composite 1,817 litre external fuel-tank pod on the aircraft's centreline pylon, would weigh about 1,814 kg (4,000 lb) and be able to strike 20 targets in 60 seconds before needing to be recharged.

Now that's capacitance!!!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnugg said:
Now that's capacitance!!!
When I was in AO 'A' school, we were shown a bunch of training films that showed the effects of different weapons on various structures as well as animals. It was a little sad, but mostly funny (think exploding varmints) to see some of these tied up monkeys and goats get blasted w/ Mk 82s or FAEs - monkey hate bomb! Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing some footage of what this laser weapon does to different targets like armor, structures and personnel.

Brett

Wankertank

Free Hat!
Brett327 said:
Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing some footage of what this laser weapon does to different targets like armor, structures and personnel.

Ohhh...you want some pictures of laser testing, eh. I found these on a classified Airforce web-site, looks like its movie night on the blue side of the fence.
rg8.jpg
rg3.jpg

B

Blutonski816

Brett327 said:
I'd be interested in seeing some footage of what this laser weapon does to different targets like armor, structures and personnel.

What a sick man you are...lol....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Blutonski816 said:
What a sick man you are...lol....
Last time I checked, we were in the business of killing bad guys. ;) I'm sure they could round up some vagrants or the elderly for that purpose. :D

Brett

Lawman

None
Brett327 said:
Last time I checked, we were in the business of killing bad guys. ;) I'm sure they could round up some vagrants or the elderly for that purpose. :D

Brett

Solent Green is made of people. :D

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
Wankertank said:
Ohhh...you want some pictures of laser testing, eh. I found these on a classified Airforce web-site, looks like its movie night on the blue side of the fence.

183.jpg

But before we continue, sir, may I say that I admire your taste in footwear.

B

Blutonski816

Brett327 said:

Brett

OH, Look!! A Drifter... Let's kill him...
rowan_atkinson9.jpg

Lawman

None
Does every thread on Directed Energy Weapons have to devolve into a contest on who can post the most obscure humorious picture!

BigRed389

None
Brett327 said:
Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing some footage of what this laser weapon does to different targets like armor, structures and personnel.

Brett

At a ground test facility at Livermoore a 25kW laser drilled through an inch of solid steel in two seconds. I think the range was 3km.

I'm sure you'll get great effects on people, but it probably wouldn't do as much to a structure unless you've got the time to sit around all day cutting through support beams.