• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Latest Marine One takes flight

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The VH-71 has completed its initial flight. IOC is planned for 2009.

565463.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Right in between pigs flying and hell freezing over.

Why do you say that? I know they've had some electronics interoperability issues, but is there something bigger going on?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
The schedule is just hugely compressed - they are talking IOC in a little over two years and they have accomplished just about squat for test points so far. There are dynamic issues with the tail rotor (block I's, read about Cananda's problems with them) and they've barely even tried integrating anything. The issues of traveling with it, breaking it down, support requirements, etc are another problem.

My guess is they will make a show of flying Hilary around once in whatever they have that is painted right and you will still be seeing plenty of the H-3 in late 09. Look at Bantle's quote around the middle of the article: "and positions the team to deliver production aircraft capable of flying the President in October 2009".

(No, I am not going to vote for Hilary. But I just really enjoy teasing the HMX-1 guys about that...)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My guess is they will make a show of flying Hilary around once in whatever they have that is painted right and you will still be seeing plenty of the H-3 in late 09. (No, I am not going to vote for Hilary. But I just really enjoy teasing the HMX-1 guys about that...)
That's not even funny to joke about.

cisforsmasher

pilot
I dont know if this was previously discussed but there was a huge stink about this helicopter. Sikorsky was furious that the contract was given to our allies. A lot of other people were upset that a helicopter that will be carrying our president was not built entirely by Americans. If I remember correctly, some parts were made overseas but then assembled here, any thoughts/ follow on facts?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
It is a lot longer story than that. Sikorsky was furious because they wanted the contract - they have been desperate to get the U.S. military as an S-92 customer. The overseas factor has been used as a political debating point, but Congress has already ensured that the production vehicles will be built here (either Amarillo or Fort Worth, I'm not sure if Bell has decided yet). It is going to cost a lot more to do it that way, but the politics are what they are.

To really delve into this you have to get into the whole CSAR-X discussion. To do that, you really have to sort through the P.R. (both corporate and political from the districts/states with the most to gain) as well as USAF's historical relationship with Boeing.

If you are really interested check here and follow the links in the article:
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/gao-re-csarx-recompete-the-contract-03082/ . (Note the number of times politicians get involved, and how closely their opinions match that of the company their state/district represents). You can follow that with the link I posted awhile ago in this thread: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135738 which will throw in a little perspective.

Not really an answer, I know, but it is a pretty complicated question.

For Steve: http://www.slate.com/id/2169647/

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Strictly HMX-1 guys when it is operational (unless it wins the 're-award' in the CSAR competition). DCMA and HX-21 guys can also get some time in it.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So who gets selected to fly this thing. Is it a tour just like any other.

HMX-1 has an operational test role in addition to its unique "White Top" mission to transport the Commander-in-Chief and other high ranking executives so other than the DT/OT testing, you'd have to be assigned to HMX-1 once it's operational and be selected for the Executive Flight Detachment side of the hangar.