• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LCDR Mike Hsu climbs Mt Everest

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A naval aviator serving on exchange duty with USAF Test Pilot School was driven to conquer the world's tallest peak after serving with SEALs and getting into their fitness culture and tackling challenges.

070523-F-9999X-001.jpg

Picture before Summit

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
I don't know what's bigger... Mount Everest or the mountain of ORM paperwork he probably had to fill out.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
My first question was how does a guy get 45 days off to go do this? I requested regular leave for 5 days to go do some moutaineering in the Canandian Rockies and my command laughed at me...

Has anyone else seen a block of time being given like this or should we chalk it up to the Air Force?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My first question was how does a guy get 45 days off to go do this? I requested regular leave for 5 days to go do some moutaineering in the Canandian Rockies and my command laughed at me...

Has anyone else seen a block of time being given like this or should we chalk it up to the Air Force?
Not to mention the other mountains he's climbed around the world. Seriously, my first thought after reading that was, "This guy must have had some serious leave time saved up.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

There was a SEAL who cross country skiied across Greenland a few years ago and it was used to generate good press for the Navy and SPECWAR. There was also a Tomcat pilot who was an instructor at the Naval Academy who played professional tennis as part of a deal to keep him in the Navy and recruit players for USNA. The Navy has supported events like this when it results in good press.....I doubt your planned sojourn in the Rockies would have been that noteworthy.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I requested regular leave for 5 days to go do some moutaineering in the Canandian Rockies and my command laughed at me...

Big difference in your case is still being in training command so the factory must produce and you're on the conveyor belt. Your command has quotas to meet so unless you're pooled (and sometimes even then), you're on a short tether. Best plan your trip to the Rockies after you hit the fleet and in post deployment pause.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Big difference in your case is still being in training command so the factory must produce and you're on the conveyor belt. Your command has quotas to meet so unless you're pooled (and sometimes even then), you're on a short tether. Best plan your trip to the Rockies after you hit the fleet and in post deployment pause.

This was in one of my fleet commands....with the boat at sea.

snake020

Contributor
A naval aviator serving on exchange duty with USAF Test Pilot School was driven to conquer the world's tallest peak after serving with SEALs and getting into their fitness culture and tackling challenges.
Does this guy actually have any time logged as a naval aviator?

Speaking from the AF side, I was given permissive to go participate in the Bataan Memorial Death March. AF tends to grant permissive time for DoD related sports activities or world class activities or sanctioned events.

This was in one of my fleet commands....with the boat at sea.

And I wouldn't get permissive time while here in Durkastan either.

shoebox

pilot
Hey! That's me.

Howdy Guys,

Saw this post, so I figure I'd add a couple cents.

We were deployed twice during my last tour, so I had 70 days of leave saved up. I burned 60 of them on this trip. I was very surprised the schoolhouse let me go, but I've been real lucky to have Skippers who were enthusiastic about climbing.

I was happy to pass my flight physical last week. Only 15 pounds lighter overall.

Donger (shoebox993@aol.com)

P.S. Heyjoe, did I run into you at the Fallon club?