• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Learning to Fly Helicopters

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Have you tried landing the helo, Boost off, w/out touching the collective yet? It can be done...

Can't say I have. I'm gonna guess its using the pedals (or more likely PCLs)? I do know about moving the left pedal first before lowering the collective to land.

P3_to_Apache

I like flying helos better once I learned to fly them...It was something about having to FLY them instead of trimming it out. As with anything both platforms have their advantages and disads..

Hovering in a 67/57 is a little harder than hovering in a 64D...all I do is pull pitch to hover height and engage the hold modes....from there "George" does the rest. Hovering really does become second nature....plus you can't beat flying all glass with 40 different pages to choose from on each MPD

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Remember, making pedal inputs by the 101 pounds of force on one foot, 100 pounds of force on the other is not the best method.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Can't say I have. I'm gonna guess its using the pedals (or more likely PCLs)? I do know about moving the left pedal first before lowering the collective to land.

Yup, using the pedals. I can't remember which one, but I think it's the left, since that steals energy. You have to have the hover steadied out or some slight forward drift, but it will settle right down to the deck, then you can lean on the collective to get it to go all the way down and be stable.

I've had to do one or two 1.0 hover checks which get really boring really quick. You find many different and creative ways to do box patterns to pass the time.