• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Left handed pilots

red92gt

NFO? no. SNA? not yet. FNG? yep.
Just to keep all options open and all questions answered, are there any complications with anything due to being left handed? For example, I know that the stick on a Hornet is on the right side, I'm guessing that you just learn right hand dominance/control? It's kind of hard to put all of this in one question, but I think that covers it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Just to keep all options open and all questions answered, are there any complications with anything due to being left handed? For example, I know that the stick on a Hornet is on the right side, I'm guessing that you just learn right hand dominance/control? It's kind of hard to put all of this in one question, but I think that covers it.

The solution is to fly the 747 ... do both front seats .... then you get to fly with each hand.

It's not a problem ... :)

lg-747-cockpit.jpg

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
well as a civilian pilot, I've always flown with my left hand on the yoke and right hand almost always on the throttle (well, maybe except for cruise) so hand dominance isn't really all that important. I could fly the stick with my left hand or right hand (I'm a righty). I don't know how the Navy accomodates lefties, but I'm sure you could learn either way.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
im left handed, and though I havnt flown military (yet), I have flown stick aircraft with my right hand. I never found any problems with it. In fact, I found some things easier, like making notes on my kneeboard. I dont need to switch hands from the stick to do so.

KBayDog

Just to keep all options open and all questions answered, are there any complications with anything due to being left handed? For example, I know that the stick on a Hornet is on the right side, I'm guessing that you just learn right hand dominance/control?

Just remember to keep the torquemeter in your scan. The collective is on the LEFT side. :D

winger

FNG
<-- Left-handed hornet guy. No advantages or disadvantages... if you don't suck, your brain will just get the job done. I do like having my throttles in my dominant hand around the boat, though.

By the way, the stick is between your legs.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Only disadvantage as an ECMO was the having to wear my kneeboard on my right leg and write sideways as EMCO 1 at night as that's where the kneeboard light was.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
The point is...it doesn't matter. Pilots in multi-piloted aircraft switch around all the time. If you have been flying in one seat for a long time, then you will get a bit rusty, but it comes back in no time.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Left handed pilots have an advantage in the Huey, because when you are hands off (not flying) your smoking hand is much closer to the ashtray.

Righties will have to reach around the cyclic to reach flavor country with their dominant hand.

sar024.jpg