• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Left handed pilots

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It may not matter these days ... as don't know how much "rolling in" you do .... but the "hardest" ambidextrous maneuvers for me were a RIGHT HAND roll-in and/or a RIGHT HAND break at the field.

Just something that I liked about those left hand, anti-clockwise evolutions with the stick in the right hand and the throttle in the left -- 'mo bettah. :)

sundevil_av8r

pilot
when i first switched from the left seat to the right, it was actually harder to get used to the visual picture than to learn to fly with the other hand. in fact that came instantly. depending on what aircraft you fly, switching seats may not be an issue but as far as the hand dominance, it's nothing at all to switch between them.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It may not matter these days ... as don't know how much "rolling in" you do .... but the "hardest" ambidextrous maneuvers for me were a RIGHT HAND roll-in and/or a RIGHT HAND break at the field.

Just something that I liked about those left hand, anti-clockwise evolutions with the stick in the right hand and the throttle in the left -- 'mo bettah. :)

I know it's apples and oranges, but I find the same thing w/ the mighty Mentor. It's easier to roll to the left thanks to Tq to begin with, but having the extra leverage w/ the right hand helps even more so w/ an already sloppy-rolling airplane. Although I do know one or two people who can't roll to the left because their knees are in the way. Something I imagine could be an issue in the A4 for those that are long-legged, as well. But maybe not.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Look at this picture ....

lg-747-cockpit.jpg

....the "hardest" thing for me when going from First Officer's right seat to Captain's left seat ?????

It wasn't the flying with the stick/PCL .... or "yoke/throttles" .... on a different side ----- it was the side brace for the left windshield --- the one (pictured) with the little black "X" on it --- which supposedly marked your "sitting height" --- i.e., where your eyes were "suppose" to be --- :).

The ONLY thing that seemed "weird" was the overhead garbage and it's proximity to the "left side" of your head vice the "right side" of your head when you moved up and changed seats ... :) ... hope this makes sense.

The extra $$$ in my paycheck made up for any perceived discomfort, however.....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
UInavy said:
...Apologies for the thread-jack. Thought it may be of some interest to some.

No apologies necessary ... as you have more experience in the Hornet than I do ... :)

.....I do know one or two people who can't roll to the left because their knees are in the way. Something I imagine could be an issue in the A4 for those that are long-legged, as well. But maybe not.

.... and "Gator" .... the stick in the A-4 was "hinged" on a pivot point (see picture) so it "moved" above most guys' legs/knees --- which was a good thing, as the Navy in its infinite wisdom seemed to put the biggest guys in the A-4 and the smallest guys in the F-4 or F-8.

Go figure .... :)

a4cockpitsi9.jpg

doubledeuce

Tartan
None
The stick in the A-4 was "hinged" on a pivot point (see picture) so it "moved" above most guys' legs/knees --- which was a good thing, as the Navy in its infinite wisdom seemed to put the biggest guys in the A-4 and the smallest guys in the F-4 or F-8.

Go figure .... :)

That actually seems quite brilliant. Is that feature found in many other aircraft?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
... and "Gator" .... the stick in the A-4 was "hinged" on a pivot point

Clever. Guess that makes sense w/ how small it is. Thanks for the info.

As for the "biggins" they put in there, there's a story a friend of the family ("Boomer," of F-14 fame, for those that may know him) once told me about getting NPQ'ed out of aviation and getting back in because he could just get his helmet in under the canopy. I can just picture it. But he got the "X," as it were, and is doing alright for himself.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've never sat in a modern fighter cockpit, but that HUD looks small compared to what I've seen (on TV, pictures dot dot dot . . .)

True?

LOL, the TA-4 was introduced many moons before the HUD. A-7 was first to introduce HUD to the fleet.

Pags

N/A
pilot
In the helo world, it doesn't matter what hand is dominant, since the left hand is always on (or at least pretty close to) the collective and the right hand is on the cyclic, regardless of which seat you sit. The sight picture from the left and right seat is a little bit different and takes some getting used to, especially since everyone spends the entire HTs sitting in the right seat. I always try to mix it up just so I don't get to used to sitting on one side of the helo or the other. But, we have a different cockpit layout than the other 60s, so not sure how the "tactical" communities do it. We have both left and right handed folks, and the only difference I've seen is that the "wrong handed" people have their kneeboard on the left leg.

Pitchlock

pilot
The hardest part of being a lefty (I write with my left hand) is writing clearances. Its nice to be able to write with one hand and key the mike with the other. On t34s the mike switch is on the throttle so, having a pen in your hand while keying the mike is a pain.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
But, we have a different cockpit layout than the other 60s, so not sure how the "tactical" communities do it. We have both left and right handed folks, and the only difference I've seen is that the "wrong handed" people have their kneeboard on the left leg.

Same, same. I do miss my foot switches.