• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LIBERTY CALL !! NAS/MCAS - where to go off duty ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
LIBERTY CALL !! NAS/MCAS - where to go/what to do off duty ???

Someone asked me about off-duty activities in and around K-Bay -- that's MCBH Kaneohe on Oahu for the uninitiated. Perhaps we could examine some options for liberty and off-duty activities --- legitimate(!) and not likely to put you in the brig --- around Naval & Marine Corps air stations in this discussion?

You "nuggets" are going to want to get some of this information, wherever you are stationed. Maybe even some of the more "salty" amongst us would like to get some "gouge".

Any interest in a thread like this for the edification of the great unwashed ??

p.s. Merry Christmas, guys

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kbay:

O-Club: Probably the most aesthetically nice O-Club in the world. Seriously, brand new, nice flat screen TV, good shuffleboard table. Food? Eh, on a 1 to 10, 6 AT BEST. Socially speaking? SUCKS. Look at it this way, Friday night in Hawaii, what chick is going to subject herself to a 'random' full car search in order to get onto a Marine Base (no offense guys) on one of the furthest points on the island? ZERO. That said, if you are stuck on the base, but you can drink (i.e. you have a 'window' on a Friday but you have a Sat flight), it isn't TOO terrible.

Kailua:
'Tropics' isn't too bad. Again, great shuffleboard table, decent live music. More women than the O-Club, but you're also competing with every enlisted Marine and Sailor who stumbled out the gate and made it there. Also infested with roaches. Not kidding. I always hold my beer up to check and see if one has crawled in and died.
I also went with a TACCO buddy once on a pub crawl there, he puked all over the floor, no one cared, take that for what it's worth. There is a decent karaoke place a few doors down, can't remember the name. Occasionally populated by U of H co-eds.

Honolulu:

Hooters (in Aloha Tower) sucks, like it does everywhere. Don't bother. Save your money and go to a strip joint.

Gordan Biersch (also Aloha Tower) has AWESOME live entertainment on Fridays around happy hour, great place for pre-game booze and food. Better than average female to male ratio.

Bikini Cantina (if it is still called that, also in Aloha Tower) SUCKS. Way expensive, no women, other than the 'pretty hot' waitresses. Good luck with that.

Hank's: in Chinatown. Fun to just get wasted at, with no agenda. CRAZY local drug addicts/hookers/pimps/etc roll in and out. Excellent people watching perch. I swear I saw both "Tyrone" and "Silky Johnston" from Chappelle Show there.

Murphy's: Hawaii's only true Irish Pub. Good food, good draft and Irish whiskey selection, way cool staff. if you live in Honolulu, become a regular and they will treat you right. Another great pre-game spot, gets quiet after 9pm on weekends. More good shuffleboard.

Club New Pattaya: North Chinatown. The name says it all. OK, not really, its VERY shady, but once you've been to the REAL Pattaya, you have to go to Hawaii's attempt just to take a picture under the sign and see the Mahu (transvestites) for yourself. Then move along, quickly.

Indigo: Nice upscale polynesian bar and restaurant. Food is pricey, but worth it. Good weeknight spot, ask around to see when the current 'hot' night is. Female clientele is abundant and high-quality. Good live music, house DJs. Weekends usually great until 12 or so, when the kiddies come for the 18 and over dance club. Good time to take your 'new friend' you met there to Waikiki.

Sansei Great sushi/japanese food. Turns into an upscale hip-hop club certain weeknights. Great DJ's. Hot women. Defintely feels like you are in a Jay-Z video. zab's pick? Sake Bombs til ya can't feel your feet.

Ocean Club a few doors down from Sansei. Big weeknight dance club draw, tough scene if you aren't local. Once you move there, you'll understand. Still, fun for a drink or 4.

Pipeline Bad rep as a 'locals only' bar. I went quite a bit (Tues was the best night circa spring 2004) and always had a blast. Lotta women, young and not so young. Good upstairs lounge.

Waikiki...where to begin...

"The W" at Diamondhead. Hawaii's only true attempt at and exclusive 'NYC' style club. Restaurant Sunday-Thurs. Fridays/Sat after 8 or so becomes a club with a lounge area, techno/trance room, and hip-hop room. "The place to see and be seen". Be ready for A LOT of attitude, and a lot of girls in "little backpacks" and tight pants. An amusing experience, I don't recommend more than 2-3 times a year. Either bring some women with you or actually BE a woman, helps you get in. My advice is to get a dinner reservation around 6/6:30 with your friends, eat dinner (EXCELLENT food), then set up shop at your table, get table service for drinks (overpriced bottles of high end vodka or whatever, with mixers), very pricey, but with 4-6 people affordable.

Arnold's: The exact opposite of the W. Serious dive bar. Good for post night-flight booze-ex'es on weeknights. Always random crowd of locals, tourists, commerical flight crews, etc etc etc. I once saw the lead singer of Quiet Riot there....

Nashville Waikiki: Hawaii's only country western bar. Now I HATE country BS, but I love me some Nashville. Usually a fair amount of women, fun crowd, low hostility factor. Laugh your a$$ off at douchebags in tight jeans and queer cowboy outfits IN HAWAII. Fun staff. Very military friendly, I went in after a dining out in mess dress twice and got hammered on the house. Fairly tolerant of vomiting all over the bathroom...

Da Dawg House: College bar in International Marketplace. Good times. I recommend the "Golden Eagle Special"; a 16 oz can of Shlitz and a double shot of Jaeger. PACKED with college girls and touristas on the weekends. Also a good hide-out on weekdays to escape the crowds. Decent DJ.

Spinner's: Hard to find karaoke bar near Nashville. Smells like a grease trap at a Denny's. Suprisingly high amount of women. Cheap beer, and who doesn't love karaoke? Excellent 4am sh!t face drunk on the bar spot.

Wave Waikiki Usually Sun-Thurs very similar to Squids n Kids night at Seville. Lotta 18 and up types, too much THUMP THUMP THUMP techno crap. Friday and Sat, usually a good live band, 21 and up crowd, chicks chicks chicks. Cheap drinks (after a reasonable cover). You will ALWAYS run into random people you know. Two thumbs up.

The Red Lion Monday "Dollah Ballah Mondays Brah" One dollar 'pitchers', actually 20 oz mini pitchers of some random brew that turns out to be a laxative the next day. Seriously, Mondays are a big big college night, with a good DJ. Other nights, it can be a blast or can suck huge. Worth sticking your head in to see.

The Irish Rose Only 'bubble hockey' table circa 1985 with the US Olympic Team vs USSR in Hawaii. Always live music, some nights better than others. Great trap for those on the prowl for unsuspecting sunburned turistas. One bar I would always be willing to check out. The hotel above is also a standard spot for flight attendants to stay at. Do the math...

Moose McGillicuddy's I'm sure I spelled that worng and I don't care. Moose's SUCKS. The ONLY thing it is good for is to watch unsuspecting 18 yr olds hit on male transvestites. That gets old after 5 minutes. Too many people, the staff has to be a bunch of d!cks to control them all. Stay away. Not worth the line. Excellent 'death-dog' hot dog cart out front for late night snacks.

Kelly Oneil's Claims to be Hawaii's only authentic Irish pub. Wrong, that's Murphy's. BUT, it is a fun time. Physically looks like any bad O-Club in the world (generic banquet chairs and tables, Mega-touch screens, Golden Tee, "Smirnoff Ice" propaganda everywhere). Hard to get a drink without a waitress, but if you snag a table, you're golden. High amount of women.

Mai Tai Bar There are two, one on top of the Ala Moana Mall. Not bad, decent time on a weeknight, but I never had any 'luck' there, maybe I'm biased.
The OTHER one is on Waikiki Beach, inside the Royal Sheraton Hotel (aka 'the Pink Lady'). GREAT view. Good spot to take relatives for sunsets and Mai-Tais. They also make a mean "drink in a pineapple" which can be easily smashed on NFO's heads. Semi-quiet and unknown, it's a nice little spot to meet a date for drinks or take "your new friend" from a crowded loud bar to, in order to 'get acquainted'.
On a side note, CLEANEST PUBLIC BATHROOMS IN WAIKIKI. If you are on day 9 of a bender (my record for Hawaii is 14 days straight going out every night), and you got "the bubble guts" and need to drop a deuce, the Royal Sheraton is the place to do it. Marble everywhere, high pressure air-conditioning, good cell reception to call your 2P while you do your thang. Plus, the Mai Tai Bar is 15 feet away! Heaven truly is a place on Earth.

and the Holiest of Holies...
DUKES
Some people say it's too commercial, too touristy, too cheesy, too crowded, too pricey.

Fvck that! Get over your bitterness.

Look, any night of the week you go, there's women. All the tourists go. They love it. It's right on the beach and the view is incredible. The bathrooms are filthy, I can't figure it out(Mai Tai bar is 1 half block away). Regardless, it's the money. Sundays, there is NOWHERE else to be. get there at 2 or 3, stake out a spot on the lower patio, ogle what you see, get drunk. At 6 or so, pounce on a server when they start setting up tables (helps to have a gang of 7-10 to box out the old fat guy tourists who want to sit down). Snag a big table with a ton of chairs and let nature take its course. I spent many many hungover mondays at the squadron thanks to some great Sundays at Duke's.

I know I missed a few (Magoo's, Bedrock's, Pigpen's...I mean Pigskins...), but this is a good starting point.

bch YOU B@STARD! I am sincerely jealous. Don't go and screw it up by bringing a chick out there with you.

I had an absolute BLAST in Hawaii. Anyone who gets orders there should consider themsleves lucky.

Now I gotta convince the squadron I'm in now to go to RIMPAC 2005 this summer...

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
WOW!!! Thanks man!! I just have to survive 8 more mos of FL (mayport) and then out of CONUS!

No worries about going attached out there, all part of the evil plan... WOOHAHAHAHAHAH

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
zab1001:
I am overwhelmed ... most of your calls look :hot_anima and/or correct (if not slightly perverted) at first glance. It is amazing how a couple of decades, a thicker waistline, and a receeding hairline improves one's focus on where to go and "be seen".

I think I will take a couple days off prior to confirming or denying your choices. And have a couple of drinks ..... bch ... you will just have to wait.

ALOHA

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ALOHA Braddah

A4s, what can I say, you started a topic near and dear to my heart. There are WAY too many guys/gals in Naval Aviation who are letting the fine art of tearing it up pass quietly into the night. You are only a single (or maybe not) young swinging d!ck once in your life. Always remember, there are those out there fighting the good fight on deployment and down-range (been there, done that), unable to drink for whatever reason. Have one more for them (then take a cab).

Coming soon: Okinawa

In a few months: Chile (once I get this joint wired)

time for a nightcap

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Zab, great post as always, and thanks a lot for completely depressing me, and making me homesick for Hawaii. Some other thoughts:

Chuck’s Steak House (Waikiki). Right above Duke’s, great view of Diamond Head. Not the same hectic scene as below, but a seriously good dinner, and the bar doesn’t water down the drinks

Kapono’s (Aloha Tower Market Place) . If you like Hawaiian music and live band, go to Kapono’s on Wednesday or Friday (he plays at “Duke’s on Sunday”). Great music, fun time with friends, the food is basic appertizer fare, but once again, they don’t skimp on the liquor. Open air, with large umbrellas that they can open over the tables in case it rains (pineapple showers).

Gordon Beirsch (Aloha Tower Market Place) . Ditto on all that Zab said, recommend the Mojitos!

img-honolulu-a.jpg

Teddy’s Bigger Burgers (Kailua). Got that lunch time craving for some cow? Stroll on over from Kailua Beach all sandy and sunburnt, and grab one of the best burger’s I have ever had, with an honest to god thick chocolate milk shake. Enjoy the scenary as the rest of the beach joins you.

teddysburger.jpg

Leonard’s Malasadas (red and white van all over Ohau). Some damn tasty sugary goodness, for that snack when you are out and about.

side3.gif

Brunch on the Beach (Waikiki). Every 3rd Sunday of the month, all the major restaurants set up on the main drag in front of Waikiki Beach, they shut down the road, roll out the green Astroturf carpet. Good food, and a variety of live bands playing. Lots of scenary, and you are right there at the beach, can’t get any better.

Eggs ‘n Things (Waikiki). So, you have visited 90% of the hot bar’s on Zab’s list, and you have the midnight munchies. You COULD go to Denny’s, but you want some tasty blueberry pancakes instead, head here for some good food, but man, the line to get in.

Boots and Kimo’s (Kailua). Breakfast dive in Kailua, for when you have the craving for Banana Macadamia Nut pancakes!

Buzz’s Steakhouse (Kailua/Pearl City). A great steak dinner, cash only establishment down almost in Lani Kai.

Paradise Cove Luau (Ko’olina). If you have to do a Luau, they have one of the best one’s going. I haven’t been to the new Hale Koa one though.

Kaneohe Bay Officer’s Club Sunday Brunch (K-bay). Now, not up to Kadena standards, but good view, and 7 out of 10 on the food.

Lodging:

Hale Koa
Barbers Point Cottages
Kaneohe Bay Cottages
Bellows Beach Cottages
Big Island: KMC Cottages]
Kuaui: Barking Sands Cottages
Armed Forces Vacation Club

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I CAN'T STAND IT !!! I AM A LIBERTY HOUND !!! Just older than most of you ....

NOTE: -always sit at the bar ..... no matter where you go. The service is MUCH better, you do not have to wait for a table, and you gain "hand" with the guy who controls the liquor spigots after a few nights of good tipping ... there is NO DOWNSIDE.

KANEOHE:

O-Club: I agree completely.
Also a good Burger King in Kaneohe town, yah..... ?

KAILUA:

CISCO'S: good Mex & Margaritas
LUCY's: same owner as Buzz's @ LaniKai - good food, pretty good drinks, good to take a woman to ....
BUZZ's: O.K., it's Kailua-LaniKai as Web-san said. Great salad bar, ditto drinks, entrees--get 'em "pu-pu" and sit at the bar, busy happy hour. Rose is the best bartender ....

HONOLULU: Aloha Tower:, some places better than others.

GORDON BIERSCH: - good brew-bar food-get there before the professional drunks (lawyers) roll in @ 1630-- Joe is the best bartender.
KAPONO'S: the music-only
BIG ISLAND STEAK HOUSE -probably lunch only
CHAI'S ISLAND BISTRO: - great food, take a lady, not a sl*t
MURPHY'S: good place
Consider the rest of the HNL suggestions with great circumspection UNLESS .... you intend to have a "meaningful long-term relationship" with someone you meat (sic) in a bar, OR ... you understand that you MAY wake up in the HPD drunk tank in the A.M. with some Bruddah's. Can you say, " BOOK 'EM, DAN-O"?

WAIKIKI:
a couple of addendums ....
IT's THE ROYAL HAWAIIAN !!! , not the "Royal Sheraton" .... plus, it's now owned by Starwood, not Sheraton. But that's O.K. Throttle back, A4s, I am just a little sensitive about that as it's where I saw my first semi-nude woman (hula dancer) @ 1956 ... and where I "romanced" Wendy Westmoreland (yes, THAT Westmoreland) at a Navy dance put on there in the late '60's. Things like that stick with you. The Mai Tai bar is as described ... ask for "Jack" the bartender (little Chinese guy) --for 1st class service. None mo' bettah ...
CHUCK'S: table 28 if you brought a woman ... or if you didn't you can spit on the fools below @ Duke's. OR, sit at the bar (here I go again) and let Bob or Michelle take care of you. Tell them the "airline guy from SEA and Ko'Olina said ALOHA" ...

Speaking of Ko'OLINA:
good pro-golf course, great salt-water swimming in the lagoons, the MARRIOT has an excellent bar/restaurant overlooking the pool -- bring $$$ and a lady, but it is worth the trip.

Web-san ... EGGs 'n THINGS is toast (no pun intended) as it burned @ a year ago and has still not recovered. ***correction*** forget this input on E&T's and check below post ....

HAWAII KAI:

ROY's Restaurant: outstanding food
THE SHACK: some of the best burgers; also two other locations on Oahu -- one in Kailua, one in Pearl City (enter at your own risk)

Oh, Yeah, WAIKIKI addendum: HALE-KOA Barefoot Bar good place to start a cheap drunk in the afternoon. Some of my squadron-mates slept over in a couple of Banyan trees in 1973 when it was still Ft. DeRussy and they could not make it back to Pearl ... where DO we get such men???

My fingers are bleeding ..... Bah, Humbug.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The heck you say... :D

A4sForever said:
Web-san ... EGGs 'n THINGS is toast (no pun intended) as it burned @ a year ago and has still not recovered.
Unless it burnt down a SECOND time that I haven't heard of in the last 7 months, they are up and running. They had the greasy diner feel prior to the fire, now they have the whole new age/Hawaiian tourist trap feel. Prices went up, nothing really to base that on, but my feeling on the before and after. Still some damn good food.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
webmaster said:
Unless it burnt down a SECOND time that I haven't heard of in the last 7 months
Nope, I guess you got me ... I stand corrected. My last time past there was @ 10 months ago. Still "toast" at that time. The one on Kalakaua, right? Near the Ala Wai Canal?

p.s. what's going on in Japan this Merry Christmas Day @ 1615?

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you like Thai food, try the "Evil Jungle Prince" at Keo's on Kapahulu - it brok' da mout! I can't speak for the eye candy potential (killed off those brain cells long ago), but it was a great starting place for many memorable dates...

Rugger

Reactions: E5B

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm in Hawaii as we speak. I'm staying at my parents house in Hawaii'Kai on Oahu. I would just like to rub that the faces of those who are in cold places right now. :)

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Fly Navy said:
I'm in Hawaii as we speak. I'm staying at my parents house in Hawaii'Kai on Oahu. I would just like to rub that the faces of those who are in cold places right now. :)

Nice thread jack... so here is your punishment... ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS.... BECUASE YOU ARE GOING BACK TO MISSISSIPPI IN NO TIME!!! MUHAHAHAHAH

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Food

Champa Thai: Two locations, one out the back gate of KBay in Kailua, one next to the Ala Wai Canal in Waikiki. Both excellent, relatively cheap.

Singha: More Thai across the street from the Hilton Hawaiin Village in Waikiki. Walking distance from the Hale Koa. A little pricey, well worth every penny. Find out what night they have the traditional Thai dancers, very cool way to spend an evening with Mom, Pop, and the family who have never travelled farther than Ohio.

Keo's: Ditto on Rugger's call. The Waikiki location also has a huge open bay windows for people watching.

Hy's Steakhouse (http://www.hyshawaii.com/) under the Waikiki Park Heights Hotel on Kuhio street. Easily the best steak I've ever had. Definitely pricey, but completely worth it. Great steak tartare, at the table caesar salad service, lobster bisque...Eagle32's favorite place to play credit card roulette. Upscale atmosphere, but an aloha shirt and slacks are completely acceptable (God I love Hawaii).

Buca di Beppo under Dave and Buster's is a great place for large gatherings. I know it's a chain and all, but it's still fun. We used to do J.O. farewells (unofficial, apart from the squadron 'real' ones) there. Give them a week or so notice, and they were always willing to set us up for 15-25 people. The food is good and cheap. Avoid the magnum jug of house chianti. Get full, get bombed, go upstairs and play video games hammered.

Status
Not open for further replies.