• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life on a carrier

Coregabo

thinking about OCS. What's life like for a pilot on a carrier? Do you bunk with other pilots, or get your own room? (I'm assuming not). How long are typical deployments? How often do you get to see your family?

VAmookie

can it be? is it true? Have i become a salty enough AW dog that im going to to follow in the M.O. of Brett and suggest that you conduct a search?

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I think the only person as salty as Brett is the guy from the Bible that turned around to see the destruction of Sodom and Gommorah! hah...

edit: I have graduated to TWO in my rep power!

VAmookie

hahha

edit: i wish 'they' (the powers that be, the upper-echelons, the grand poohbah) didnt take away all may stars. How do i get those darn things back. What is the freaken post criteria for me to graduate to another fricken star? ENd threadjack

Whalebite

CORPSviation said:
can it be? is it true? Have i become a salty enough AW dog that im going to to follow in the M.O. of Brett and suggest that you conduct a search?
NOOOOOO!!! Say it aint so!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just keep in mind, nothing guarantees you'll be on a carrier...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've been deployed with two Nuke SWOs, and it hasn't been on a carrier.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
I've been deployed with two Nuke SWOs, and it hasn't been on a carrier.
That doesn't mean they won't be going to a carrier though, 'cause they will whether they want to or not. That's how their pipeline works.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Girls, girls...easy now...wasn't this thread about pilot's life on a carrier.

In my case it was easy....they provided transport for the mission commander...me.

Life on the boat is oddly asomewhat easy routine to fall into. The daily routine and such are familiar and as aviators we are creatures of habit.

I don't like the boat, but feel at home on the boat...does that make sense?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnugg said:
Life on the boat is oddly a somewhat easy routine to fall into. The daily routine and such are familiar and as aviators we are creatures of habit.

I don't like the boat, but feel at home on the boat...does that make sense?
True that. I did a pretty good job during my carrier deployment of keeping the same watch rotation. For me, routine is everthing. Jack up my routine and you get a pissed off SWO on your hands (i.e. GQ drills, man overboard, etc). But pilots....well, I only saw them eating all the time.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
That doesn't mean they won't be going to a carrier though, 'cause they will whether they want to or not. That's how their pipeline works.

Steve, Steve, Steve. I know this isn't worth arguing about, but... I never said they wouldn't be on a carrier. What I'm saying is that for the person who asked the question, you may not end up on a carrier. And the corollary to that is, even if you're a Nuke SWO, you might not always be on said carrier. Keen and insightful? Puh-lease!

Smiles in effect.