• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Life on a carrier

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Life on the Ship BLOWS! Go somewhere that will get you per diem.. Oh Midrats.. They are great but you have to pay for them and the rest of your food! And ship company loves the air wing because suddenly the mess bill gets bigger and they eat better... At least in their own corner of the wardroom! :chef_125:

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Boom Boom said:
Oh Midrats.. They are great but you have to pay for them and the rest of your food!

In the breakdown, I think Midrats is like 25 cents of the $8.25 a day you're charged. That's a fcuking steal for two egg and cheese sandwiches and fries.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Then you didn't make the Desert Fox Cruise!!! Because our mess bill was INSANE!!! Go to Denny's and get the same for cheaper and better.. And did I mention I had a family to support at home... BS.. Everybody else gets Per Diem!! WHY NOT CARRIER AVIATION!!! :icon_rage

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Oh By The Way

Does any service except Carrier Aviation pay for their meals.. They may be S1tty MRE's but NO! So .25 cents is too much... It is BS! :icon_rage One penny is too much..

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Boom Boom said:
Does any service except Carrier Aviation pay for their meals.. They may be S1tty MRE's but NO! So .25 cents is too much... It is BS! :icon_rage One penny is too much..

I totally agree with you. Anyone know if the sub and surface navy jacks their crew for thier BAS/Mess bill?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Wow, this is all news to me, I didn't know you guys had to pay for meals aboard carriers... is it just deducted from your pay or what?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
DanMav1156 said:
is it just deducted from your pay or what?

That would just make too much sense. We have to pay a mess bill every month...it varies depending on how many days you're underway (they don't charge you in port unless you eat on the boat and are honest enough to write it down on the log).

I know for the troops, they just take away BAS...which makes sense. The Mess bill usually ends up being more than officer BAH.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
"Going to sea is going to prison, with a chance at drowning besides"
-Samuel Johnson

But you'll never forget it. The bad (duty days, night traps, alerts) with the goods (FACIT flights, port calls, finally flying with the crew, days traps)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Boom Boom said:
Does any service except Carrier Aviation pay for their meals..
Yea, the rest of the surface navy (including the air dets) get stuck with a mess bill that is far more expensive than the food is worth. Just the nature of the beast.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
No, just part of their career path. I'm sure Steve can add the details, but basically they do their time on both CVNs as well as smaller decks to keep themselves competitive for command. And since they're not going to drive a CV, that pretty much leaves the small boys. One was a DH, and the other was on a first or second JO deployment (SWOs generally have two 18 month tours before their shore tour). And Nuke cruisers? I'm not quite that old. ;)
Yea, the nukes do their first tour on a small boy doing a topside job (non engineering). It used to be that nukes' first tour was 18 months (straight stick SWO's--me for example--do a first tour of 24 months) and then they head off to nuke power school and prototype. Once they finish that, they head off to their second divo tour on a CVN. This tour for them is 24 months I believe. When I was on the LINCOLN a few years back, we had several nukes that were commissioned through OCS who did one single longer tour of 3 years. So for these folks, they did have to learn to drive. Though the ones I saw go through the process qual'd, but didn't stand the watch.

Nuke cruiser only went away in the mid nineties. They were definitely an option when I was going through the pipeline. Had a few buddies that I went through with that did their time on those. Any nuke worth his salt though was going subs. :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Nuke cruiser only went away in the mid nineties. They were definitely an option when I was going through the pipeline. Had a few buddies that I went through with that did their time on those. Any nuke worth his salt though was going subs. :D

Dude, you commissioned after me, and it wasn't the "mid nineties." ;) I'm guessing you meant your first time around you could pick them.