I have fond memories of both my TLAM-N sub launch exercises! 1989 and again in 1990 staging out of then NAS Brunswick. The PAX -880 is also well remembered!
I remember how well funded and well resourced these events were. Nothing was spared. Each time we brought two H-46 helos from NAS Norfolk with a complete complement of pilots, aircrew and maint folks - with a support pallet of gear brought via C-9. Rental cars were generously doled out as was per diem. The BOQ an Brunswick was ours and many of our enlisted maintainers got off-base hotels.
Both ops occured in winter. I remember the -880 broadcasting status updated on UHF during the launches.
The TLAM had the capability of navigation based on passive imaging and Maine was chosen because the terrain and topography mimic its intended targets in Soviet Russia.
The scenario for us helo folks were as the recovery team. The TLAM would expend itself after hitting its target, deploy a chute and float to earth in the Maine mountains not far from Rangeley Mountain (home of East Coast SERE). Our job was to locate the missle visually, guided by the chase aircraft and hover over the target. We then hoisted down a General Dynamics civilian EOD type who would disarm/defuel the TLAM and render it safe for transport. We would lower a nylon harness and 100 foot pendant through the hell-hole and the tech would attach to the TLAM and after hoisting him back, we would lift the whole missile out of the woods and fly to a prepared clearing. Maine Army Guard personnel would refuel us from 55 gallon drums of JP-4 while we loaded the missile in the cabin and we would fly back to NAS Brunswick.
I remember once that the APU would not start on one event and we could not shut down to refuel. I made the decision as the HAC to gravity hot-refuel from hand cranked pump. Another time I remember the weather coming in and basically having to ITO out of the LZ in the Maine mountains and putting to use the ant-ice features of the H-46 that prior I had only read about.
Also fond memories of 2 am LL Bean shopping runs. I still have the Norwegian fisherman's sweater I purchased during one of these Dets. Oh and lobster. Much lobster.
One of my fellow pilots and co-pilot on the failed APU mission sortie was the late CDR Rob Murphy, USN who after retirement, went on to a successful career at NAVAIR as a GS and passed away too young while in his office at Pax. Rob was the NAVAIR PMO for MQ-8 Fire Scout at the time of his passing.