• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for Advice: USMC Aviation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsmith48

Hopefully this hasn't been posted before, and is in the right forum.

I'm a junior in college, and the USMC wants me to go to their PLC this summer. Problem is, I will have to take 21 and 19 credit hours my last two semesters if I want to graduate on time next spring (!).

Is there any specific advantage to going this route (i.e., a really good reason to compromise my education and GPA)? The Marines told me that I have a guaranteed spot at flight school if I take the PLC, but I'm not sure if the same is true for OCS after I graduate.

I'm mainly looking to get an edge on flying an F/A 18 or something similar, and I assume the Marines are the best route to take. TIA for any advice.

Reactions: E5B

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok if I read the question right you have a slot for PLC? but it will take a fair amoutn of academic effort to graduate in time and the other choice is to wait graduate and do OCC.

Ok if I have read this right this falls into the bird in the nad vice in the tree line of reasoning. If you ahve a slot to go to OCS as a PLC guy take it. If for some reason you cant get all the classes you need after you ahve succesfully competed OCS talk to your OSO and he can delay your commisioning for a semester. OCC is at times more competitve thans PLC so go with waht you have.
As for F-18s worry about OCS, College, TBS, API, Primary and then selection in that order nothing you do right now will have much bearing on selection at the end of primary.
Good luck

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Jsmith48 said:
I'm mainly looking to get an edge on flying an F/A 18 or something similar, and I assume the Marines are the best route to take. TIA for any advice.
I don't know about that statement, if that's your main reason I think you should re-evaluate, I'm Navy but trained and worked with Marines long enough to realize that there's a lot more to being a Marine than just increasing your odds of getting Hornets.
You're OK as long as you realize that.....any comments from the D'Dogs?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Jsmith48 said:

To be honest (most of you know I am), this line bothers me; or at least the way you put it. If you mean your goal is to become a Marine Officer and then your next goal is to fly F-18's, then I would say those are solid goals and you should shoot for them. If your desire is to do only what it takes to fly F-18's, the service is something you might want to think twice about. Regardless, not much you can do outside the military other than solid flight time that's going to help get you into Hornets. I will give you a hint as to what will help. Complete college and PLC. Then, complete TBS and hold on to that pilot slot. Once you get to primary, work hard, make the grades and if the Marines have strike slots available, you might get one. At that point, complete intermediate, advanced, CQ included, then you just might get that coveted Hornet slot, if available of course.

I agree with the above, there's usually more to being a Marine than just being a pilot. At least that's the way it is with the Marine pilots I know.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Jsmith, when I was in your shoes I was too busy worrying about finishing up a design project and trying to graduate, getting ready for commissioning and TBS with all the moving associated. Even though I had an air contract, I never thought too much about flight school until TBS was over. You just don't really have alot of time to spend (waste) thinking about it. Once you get done OCS and TBS, then start thinking about API, Primary on your drive down to Pensacola. It is important to concentrate your time and energy on doing well in OCS and TBS. Like the others have said, bust your butt in primary to get your "edge". Do well and you might get a chance to do what you want if the Marines have a slot for you.

ZGXtreme

Corporal of Grunts
bunk22 said:
Regardless, not much you can do outside the military other than solid flight time that's going to help get you into Hornets.

I could really care less what I fly should I come back in commissioned. But, does your flight time statement refer to time before you head to Pensacola or "solid flight time" as in a quality performance during the initial phases of the pipeline?

I ask since I decided to Major in Aviation Science: Professional Pilot at Oklahoma State where you start flying the first semester you are in. So I can imagine you could accumulate quite a bit of air time over a three to four year period.

Cpl. G

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is much debate on prior flight time bottom line it will almost never hurt you and can really help. The playing field evens quickly but prior flight time guys do have an advantage, for how long depends on hours and quality of instruction. Though I didnt know it at the time my civilian flight instructor sucked.
You may find yourself having to unlearn the civilian way of flying and learn the Navy way (this can be an easy thing i.e "Hey I really dont know everything Ill keep my mouth shut and learn") or hard ("i.e to your peers "I have all this flight time I knwo so much Im going to be #!, get jets etc etc")-Everyone loves seeing that guy attrite even the instructors.

The bottomline is your performance in training will determine, ALONG WITH THE NEEDS OF THE SERVICE waht you get (capitals totally intentional)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
ZGXtreme said:
I could really care less what I fly should I come back in commissioned. But, does your flight time statement refer to time before you head to Pensacola or "solid flight time" as in a quality performance during the initial phases of the pipeline?

I ask since I decided to Major in Aviation Science: Professional Pilot at Oklahoma State where you start flying the first semester you are in. So I can imagine you could accumulate quite a bit of air time over a three to four year period.

Cpl. G

I come from the line of thought that a lot of flight time, quality flight time (IFR rating, aerobatic rating, etc) will help you in primary. I hear stories of people with a lot of flight time not making it through the program because they couldn't learn the navy way. I call BS on the navy way. Flight school isn't rocket science and if they couldn't make it through with prior flight time, they weren't going to make it regardless. If you have what it takes (most do IMO) and you have a lot of flight time, I believe that you will do well in primary and hopefully get what you want. Things will eventually even out in advanced with things like BFM/ACM (whatever tac guys call it), guns, air-to-ground and of course CQ.

Just so you know, you don't need prior flight time to do well. Most guys/gals whom I've known who got what they wanted, especially jets, didn't have prior flight time. You either have it or you don't.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I never really figured out how the "Navy way" was different than the "civilian way".... except that they teach you not to sound like a moron on the radio and relay your life story (unless you fly props for some reason). The laws of aerodynamics don't change just b/c you're in a naval aircraft. The planes are cooler, and you'll know a lot more about the one you're flying, but really, flying is flying.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
except that they teach you not to sound like a moron on the radio and relay your life story
I love that - so true. For all you up and comers, how you sound on the radio is a HUGE part of your rep in the squadron and the airwing.

Brett

ZGXtreme

Corporal of Grunts
Brett327 said:
I love that - so true. For all you up and comers, how you sound on the radio is a HUGE part of your rep in the squadron and the airwing.

Brett

Yay! Maybe something being prior Enlisted Grunt can help with! HAHA Short and to the point just to be able to quit talking over the damn net.

Status
Not open for further replies.