• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for an OCONUS move FAQ

Pianistwithwings

Grumpy Cat
None
Hello, I have been looking for an OCONUS FAQ using the google, and have been coming up short. Need some advice on Do's and Don'ts of the process. Thanks.

croakerfish

pilot
Hello, I have been looking for an OCONUS FAQ using the google, and have been coming up short. Need some advice on Do's and Don'ts of the process. Thanks.
Make sure you do your overseas screening early, it can take a long time particularly with dependents. Communicate with your sponsor at your gaining command as soon as you can, they can get you the most up-to-date information.
If you have pets, start researching the entry requirements for animals right away. Japan and Guam are particularly stringent.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
It really depends on the specific location. Each has its quirks. Universally painful areas (especially when it comes to timing) are:
1) Overseas medical/dental screening for dependents
2) Pets
3) TLA and housing

Military OneSource is a good place to start. Official navy site for the base can be helpful. Don’t wait or rely on a sponsor.

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
Get in comms with your sponsor ASAP. As soon as you have verbals they should get you one. They usually have the latest on the ground info.

I'll second what @HSMPBR said. Medical, Pets, Housing (TLA, on base vs off, OHA/COLA) are probably your top concerns. I went unaccompanied to Bahrain (0/10 don't recommend) for a year so my logistics were slightly simpler than taking a family.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Get in comms with your sponsor ASAP. As soon as you have verbals they should get you one. They usually have the latest on the ground info.

I'll second what @HSMPBR said. Medical, Pets, Housing (TLA, on base vs off, OHA/COLA) are probably your top concerns.
Can’t agree with this enough. Fingers crossed you get a good sponsor, as they can remove a lot of the pain points.

If you don’t mind me asking, where are you heading? The big PCS tasks will be the same, but each overseas staff has their own unique way of complicating the process.

Pianistwithwings

Grumpy Cat
None
Can’t agree with this enough. Fingers crossed you get a good sponsor, as they can remove a lot of the pain points.

If you don’t mind me asking, where are you heading? The big PCS tasks will be the same, but each overseas staff has their own unique way of complicating the process.
Verbals to Japan, and will need to get more sponsor information. Thank you for the advice.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Communicate with your sponsor at your gaining command as soon as you can, they can get you the most up-to-date information.

Get in comms with your sponsor ASAP

Is this a generational thing?

Oh, I get it...sponsor, as in the person that's supposed to be helping you but is deployed and isn't getting or replying to your emails.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
OK, back sorry that took so long, been a busy week (in a good way... mostly).

Anyway, perused the comments and not sure what you're hung up on, but here's my advice (FWIW I've only done 2 OCONUS PCS moves one of which was to Japan).

1. Read your orders in their entirety. Over and over and over. It may tell you to get a no fee passport (your dependents may need to get them... my most recent orders just said "Read the FCG" which said I needed them) among other pertinent information.

2. Make 20 copies of your orders (not an exaggeration). Keep them in a binder or folder to hand out as required your first 10 days or so. Of course no office will help you without them, all of them want to keep them for some reason, and no one has a copy machine.

3. Fill the rest of the binder with all other pertinent information - a most recent copy of your LES, copies of yours and your dependents' passports, copies of marriage and birth certificates, Dependent Entry Allowance (DEA), etc. Obviously this is a PII nightmare so keep it in a known location at all times.

4. As others have suggested get in touch with your sponsor, but realize if you are his/her relief or he/she has been there a while, little policies always change (i.e.: base housing availability/requirements, etc.)

5. Get yours and your dependents overseas screenings ASAP and absolutely ensure medical enters that information in to their system that you're complete. Follow up with your detailer via email saying you're complete.

6. Get the DEA paperwork (IIRC it's pretty minimal on your part) done ASAP.

7. Get the HHG shipment date picked early, which will require you to pick your detach date earlier than you realize too. Make sure your admin knows the detach date and get all the TEAMS/DPS/whatever it's called now sorted out. I did a UB ("express") and HHG (normal) move to Japan. They both arrived on the exact same day (both took about 2.5 months to arrive from Pensacola). My most recent OCONUS PCS I didn't even bother with the UB move since it's so restrictive with what you can bring and wasn't faster in my experience. Simplified things paperwork and moving logistics wise for me, but YMMV. Your choice is really a choice between "where do I not want my stuff?" I figured I would be as comfortable for as long as possible CONUS, and the Navy gave us a few days in the Navy Lodge followed by some mediocre furniture until our HHG arrived.

Other "gotchas" / lessons learned:

- Learn what you're actually entitled to per the JTR/FMR with respect to TLA and TLE. Realize the base will likely make them a bit more restrictive/have policies to get you to stop paying the extra money ASAP.

- If your credit/debit cards are going to expire anytime within 3 or so months after PCSing, I'd ask to get ones with new expiry dates at your US address now; same for drivers licenses.

- Figure out where you'll be getting your current mail forwarded, schedule that early.

- Charles Schwab offers an "investor checking" account with a Debit card that reimburses foreign ATM Fees (I think domestic too?) and that will allow you to get a better exchange rate out in town vice the "community bank" ones on base. (I can give you a referral if you want, I don't get anything, but you can get some $ for making your first deposit). This was also a really helpful debit card to have in the 7th Fleet Ports.

- Google Fi is a good phone service to have at least for your first month while you're settling in. The big takeaway is IT MUST BE ACTIVATED CONUS! You MUST activate it before leaving!!!! The service kind of blows in the US in my experience but works great OCONUS. If you're going to a sea-going command, it worked in all the 7th Fleet Ports I went to which made things easy and seamless for me. I ended up using it as my service and never signed up for a Japanese phone carrier. Get your current service paused by calling up and providing a copy of your orders.

- I found the "Patriot Express" (aka the "rotator" aka Space-R) to be as or more comfortable than commercial. It was more space since it was an older plane, the USAF was accommodating with writing letters quickly and seamlessly for any travel delays, All I'm saying is, don't poo-poo it and realize it may be a good option.

Last edited:

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'll add make sure your US Driver's License is up to date and won't expire any time soon. You will need it to drive, but some nations will need it to issue you a National or NATO driver's license.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don’t forget about your non temporary storage set up. Put more in there than you think. Your house in Japan, whether on base or off, will probably be tinier than what you’re used to in the US. I definitely brought more shit with me than I actually needed and could have left behind. Even if you end up needing it when you get there, there are always people selling shit before their PCS out.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Don’t forget about your non temporary storage set up. Put more in there than you think. Your house in Japan, whether on base or off, will probably be tinier than what you’re used to in the US. I definitely brought more shit with me than I actually needed and could have left behind. Even if you end up needing it when you get there, there are always people selling shit before their PCS out.
Yup. Agreed.

IIRC, the houses and apartments CNFJ has set up across all of Honshu are ~ 1500 sqft but my memory could be wrong.