• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Losing an SNA Slot; what happens then?

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
I'm currently working on my application with my recruiter for an SNA slot. My dad asked me the other day something I hadn't really considered; if you lose your flight spot, what would you do instead?

I am more than happy to serve my country in the military, but up to this point I never thought of what else I'd do in the Navy besides fly (and my secondary duty of course). I am only putting down SNA on my application, but I know things happen.

My question is if one was to lose their flight slot, either because the Navy didn't have enough slots anymore, didn't want you anymore, or you didn't pass one of your medicals, do you get a choice in what else you do? It seems everyone I know who has lost their slot has became an NFO. Thanks guys.

sickboy

pilot
Typically you get a shot at transferring to a different community (SWO, Intel, CEC etc) but 90% of the attrites/DORs I know are getting separated.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Typically you get a shot at transferring to a different community (SWO, Intel, CEC etc) but 90% of the attrites/DORs I know are getting separated.

Excuse me ignorance on the subject, but that would be an "honorable" discharge from the service, correct?

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
If you DOR/Attrite, your odds of transferring to another community depend on many things. If that community is willing to take you AND/OR if they have the space available to take you as well. Secondly, it might also depend on what kind of student you were. Obviously that will be dependent also on what phase of training it happened in.....if you were a hard worker and worked your butt off but for some reason, flying wasn't for you, your command will probably be more willing to fight for you to transfer somewhere else.

On the not the opposite end of the spectrum, I've had some friends who lost their SNA slots due to attrition or otherwise, were offered to come in as an NFO. I think out of 7 of them, 6 of them took the deal. Why the other guy didn't take it, I don't know....I do know he's no longer in the Navy though. The other guys are in NFO training currently, a few winged in the P-3 community and some are in VT-86 and a few are up here at -120 with me. All are happy to still be flying and happy they chose to stay.

If it comes down to it, be honest with yourself, if you want to stay in the Navy and still serve, then check out the other communties. If you honestly don't and can't see yourself anywhere but aviation, however, aviation isn't working for whatever reason, no one will fault you if you choose not to stay. Just weigh your options heavily, because after you head down one road, it may not be possible to reverse it.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Excuse me ignorance on the subject, but that would be an "honorable" discharge from the service, correct?
Officers cannot receive a dishonorable or other-than-honorable discharge. You can be separated (voluntary or involuntary) or dismissed (not 100% sure, but I believe dismissals must come from a court martial.)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Officers cannot receive a dishonorable or other-than-honorable discharge. You can be separated (voluntary or involuntary) or dismissed (not 100% sure, but I believe dismissals must come from a court martial.)
Not true!! Block 24 of my DD-214 says HONORABLE. Moreover, everyone gets an RE code (reenlistment code) that specifies if your service and nature of separation makes you eligible to re-enter the military and under what circumstances, if any.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Not true!! Block 24 of my DD-214 says HONORABLE. Moreover, everyone gets an RE code (reenlistment code) that specifies if your service and nature of separation makes you eligible to re-enter the military and under what circumstances, if any.

Yeah, I said O's can't receive a dishonorable or OTH.

phrogpilot73

I think he was trying to clarify your post - since on the surface it seems as though you were saying there is no classification of service. If you wanted your post to be clearer, you could have put "Officers are honorably discharged, or dismissed. Dismissal is a bad thing - you'll probably in the back of your mind see it coming."

I don't think that’s accurate, Officers do not receive an RE code, their commissions just expire. My DD-214 has "N/A" for the RE code. What have you got on your member 4 block 27?
Maybe he was talking about the separation code, which classify why you separated. RE is for reenlistment.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

Officers CAN get a Honorable, General (under Honorable conditions), General (under Other Than Honorable conditions...OTH), or a dismissal.

Dismissal is, for all intents and purposes, a Dishonorable Discharge.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I don't think that’s accurate, Officers do not receive an RE code, their commissions just expire. My DD-214 has "N/A" for the RE code. What have you got on your member 4 block 27?

Right. My 214 from OCS says RE-2 "to accept commission in same branch service" and my 214 from active duty to the reserves says N/A "completion of required active service."

Although I'm not holding my breath that the second one is error-free... the PSD that filled it out didn't fill me with confidence when they inexplicably faxed it to la-la land instead of the fax number for BUPERS I handed them. :mad: Yayyy PSD! (Trust but verify, people. Trust but verify.)

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
If you DOR/Attrite, your odds of transferring to another community depend on many things. If that community is willing to take you AND/OR if they have the space available to take you as well. Secondly, it might also depend on what kind of student you were. Obviously that will be dependent also on what phase of training it happened in.....if you were a hard worker and worked your butt off but for some reason, flying wasn't for you, your command will probably be more willing to fight for you to transfer somewhere else.

On the not the opposite end of the spectrum, I've had some friends who lost their SNA slots due to attrition or otherwise, were offered to come in as an NFO. I think out of 7 of them, 6 of them took the deal. Why the other guy didn't take it, I don't know....I do know he's no longer in the Navy though. The other guys are in NFO training currently, a few winged in the P-3 community and some are in VT-86 and a few are up here at -120 with me. All are happy to still be flying and happy they chose to stay.

If it comes down to it, be honest with yourself, if you want to stay in the Navy and still serve, then check out the other communties. If you honestly don't and can't see yourself anywhere but aviation, however, aviation isn't working for whatever reason, no one will fault you if you choose not to stay. Just weigh your options heavily, because after you head down one road, it may not be possible to reverse it.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I always worry that by signing a contract if for some reason they didn't want me SNA anymore they could stick me anywhere they want and I'm stuck there for the duration of my contract.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
I think he was trying to clarify your post - since on the surface it seems as though you were saying there is no classification of service. If you wanted your post to be clearer, you could have put "Officers are honorably discharged, or dismissed. Dismissal is a bad thing - you'll probably in the back of your mind see it coming."

Yes, that is what I meant, should have clarified. Sorry, wink.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Officers CAN get a Honorable, General (under Honorable conditions), General (under Other Than Honorable conditions...OTH), or a dismissal.

Dismissal is, for all intents and purposes, a Dishonorable Discharge.

I'm with HD. Not sure where you guys are getting they can't be other than Honorable (lower case "other"). I've seen first hand an example of that something other than Honorable of an O-4.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I'm with HD. Not sure where you guys are getting they can't be other than Honorable (lower case "other"). I've seen first hand an example of that something other than Honorable of an O-4.

[Thread Hijack]

So I have a question since we were kind of discussing this off the OPs question. What happens to all the Skippers and such who get fired from their jobs and are put in some "stash" job in some command until I guess they go to a board? I know in the most recent case, that female skipper from the USS Ponce I believe, is being allowed to retire as an O-5. Is that the case with every skipper or can they get other than Honorables as well?

[/Thread Hijack]

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think they fill staff positions until their cases are being resolved and they can retire.