• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Losing an SNA Slot; what happens then?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
[Thread Hijack]

So I have a question since we were kind of discussing this off the OPs question. What happens to all the Skippers and such who get fired from their jobs and are put in some "stash" job in some command until I guess they go to a board? I know in the most recent case, that female skipper from the USS Ponce I believe, is being allowed to retire as an O-5. Is that the case with every skipper or can they get other than Honorables as well?

[/Thread Hijack]

That all depends on what the guy did to get into trouble.

Typically for "minor offenses" (DUI, adultery, buffoonery) the stash job is an administrative place to hang your hat while your retirement/resignation paperwork gets expedited through the system. Most of these folks don't actually go to work. They take as much leave as they can.

For more serious cases while a GCM/BOI is being convened, they do minor administrative tasks on the staff after they've burned off all their leave. I suspect a decent amount of basket leave is involved as well.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
In API I lost my spot, along with many others in a summer where they raised the NSS (grade requirement) to 43. That required us to average 96 or so to graduate.

A lot of my friends lost their spots, most were allowed to go to redesignation boards. This was a special case, but many SNAs were given that opportunity. I was going to a board for going NFO, got the spot, and a week later got whisked back into an SNA slot by the CO. Turns out after a lot of wrangling with BUPERS (no one liked this policy of raising the NSS apparently), they dropped the NSS requirement to 40 for Navy pilots. Five of us got grandfathered into the new NSS and were allowed to continue as SNAs.

Not everyone was nearly as lucky as me and the other four of us. I owe my career to the CO of NASC. That being said, a lot of my friends are perfectly happy being intel officers, which is where most of the redes'd people went that summer.

Your mileage will vary though... but it's the Navy. Anything can happen.

exNavyOffRec

If you are in OCS and are found unfit to be SNA they are moving them to NFO if they want to stay, if a person is not qualified for aviation they are generally going home, a few are being redesignated.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I'm currently working on my application with my recruiter for an SNA slot. My dad asked me the other day something I hadn't really considered; if you lose your flight spot, what would you do instead?

I am more than happy to serve my country in the military, but up to this point I never thought of what else I'd do in the Navy besides fly (and my secondary duty of course). I am only putting down SNA on my application, but I know things happen.

My question is if one was to lose their flight slot, either because the Navy didn't have enough slots anymore, didn't want you anymore, or you didn't pass one of your medicals, do you get a choice in what else you do? It seems everyone I know who has lost their slot has became an NFO. Thanks guys.

I think the point nobody brought up is that you join to become an Officer FIRST, and an Aviator SECOND. Not sure what you meant by "secondary duty" but flying is most definitely not your "primary duty." Your primary duty is leading Sailors. Just wanted to clarify that...
Pickle

exNavyOffRec

I think the point nobody brought up is that you join to become an Officer FIRST, and an Aviator SECOND. Not sure what you meant by "secondary duty" but flying is most definitely not your "primary duty." Your primary duty is leading Sailors. Just wanted to clarify that...
Pickle

You may or may not be surprised at how many people that apply for Pilot only want to be a Pilot and if they cannot they don't want to join or as many of my ensigns coming back from OCS have told me just choose to come home vice being an NFO, back when board were more open we could figure out who thought this as they would apply for multiple designators.

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
Pickle

By "secondary" I meant whatever they call the second job you do when you aren't flying (staff position or what have you). I think in my post I demonstrated that I'm not just wanting to join the military to fly; but I am wanting to be realistic about what happens if I can't and what I'd choose to do for the Navy instead. I don't think I'd be asking this question if all I wanted to do was fly jets...

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
By "secondary" I meant whatever they call the second job you do when you aren't flying (staff position or what have you). I think in my post I demonstrated that I'm not just wanting to join the military to fly; but I am wanting to be realistic about what happens if I can't and what I'd choose to do for the Navy instead. I don't think I'd be asking this question if all I wanted to do was fly jets...

See, the thing is that Flying is your SECONDARY JOB. Your primary job as mentioned above is to lead. As long as we are on the same page it is all good.