• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lost and Found?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I was PMRF Barking Sands, we went out in our trusty UH-3A to recover an expended training round but never found it. I'm sure it happens more often than you think. This could have easily come from Barking Sands....

-ea6bflyr ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do we shoot live/practice rounds at them? In the third picture of the linked article it looks like it has some possible impact points below the right wing.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Yes, that is what we use for missile shoots. Since we don't have Air Force money to send up QF-4s.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Yeah, yeah. There are several things we shoot at. I can sit here and list them all if you'd like.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Yeah, yeah. There are several things we shoot at. I can sit here and list them all if you'd like.

That was for the plopter pilots, wannabes, etc-- not so much for you. When I was a wannabe way back when I learned a bunch of cool things from lurking on this site. Just returning the favor.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Do we shoot live/practice rounds at them? In the third picture of the linked article it looks like it has some possible impact points below the right wing.

Air to air gunnery, if that's what you are referring to, is usually done using a towed banner and "simunition" type rounds that are colored red, blue, etc. That way you have actual proof in the debrief that you got more rounds on target than lead did.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
... is usually done using a towed banner and "simunition" type rounds that are colored red, blue, etc.
"SIMUNITION"? Jeez, first we simulate flying, then missions, D/N carqual... now simming shooting live rounds in the air??? We're gonna put all our Plane Capts & Ordies, Grapes etc. on unemployment. Why don't we just simulate daily life, and edit out all the woes & pitfalls... oh wait, that's virtual reality, we already have that on the toob. Somewhere A4s weeps!!!:(
BzB

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Air to air gunnery, if that's what you are referring to, is usually done using a towed banner and "simunition" type rounds that are colored red, blue, etc. That way you have actual proof in the debrief that you got more rounds on target than lead did.

I was also thinking of shipbborne weapons as well but good info, thanks.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

"SIMUNITION"?

Sounds like paintball in the sky...

-ea6bflyr ;)

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
"SIMUNITION"? Jeez, first we simulate flying, then missions, D/N carqual... now simming shooting live rounds in the air??? We're gonna put all our Plane Capts & Ordies, Grapes etc. on unemployment. Why don't we just simulate daily life, and edit out all the woes & pitfalls... oh wait, that's virtual reality, we already have that on the toob. Somewhere A4s weeps!!!:(
BzB
I'm down for simulated deployments.

phrogpilot73

Sounds like paintball in the sky...
That's exactly what simunitions are. They're used on the ground side as well. They swap in a new upper receiver to the M-16/M-4 and fire cartridges that are essentially paint balls. Actually pretty damn good training.