• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Man Buys Sea Harrier

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Roger that. I truly understand that sentiment, believe me. But this dude is going to have a life long hobby, is going to make starry eyed boys and girls at air shows and the like want to become fighter pilots like he was, and the fighter doesn't get used by another nation with less scruples than the U.S. to drop stuff on people in the name of ethnic cleansing, tribal warfare, and other atrocities. Plus, we don't risk our own pilot's lives if that country the U.S. sold it to decides they don't like the U.S. anymore and pulls a fast one. Doesn't that make sense?
If you sell to individuals how can you prevent that?

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Even if you could buy one, current & proposed FAA regs would prevent you from registering & operating the aircraft.

Dingobat

Guess she don't like the Cornbread either...
If you sell to individuals how can you prevent that?
I was assuming that when you sell a fighter aircraft to another country, you would take out your countries' special/secret avionics and the like, but still leave it capable of being used as a weapons platform. If one were to be sold to a civilian I would assume all ordinance delivery systems and war fighting ability would be stripped and it essentially would be a very fast, very sexy private jet.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I was assuming that when you sell a fighter aircraft to another country, you would take out your countries' special/secret avionics and the like, but still leave it capable of being used as a weapons platform. If one were to be sold to a civilian I would assume all ordinance delivery systems and war fighting ability would be stripped and it essentially would be a very fast, very sexy private jet.

While I can see your point, I think (this is me thinking, so my head hurts now) that the FAA's/big brother's point of view is it's easier to strap bombs and rockets on an ex-fighter plane than on Bubba's Cessna 172 (black market supplies, etc).