• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps or NAVY

CalPolyPilot

I am aspiring military pilot. Currently I'm a GA pilot and a full time student at Cal Poly SLO, CA in the Aerospace program. I am at sort of a crossroads and I need some advice from experience. Tuesday of this coming week I will be taking the ASTB at the NAVY recruiting center in Los Angeles. Initially my plan was to pursue the BDCP program and get my school paid for and hope for a pilot slot. However, I just talked to a Marine Corps Officer recruiter at a career fair and he informed me that if I qualify for the Marine Corps OCS internship offered to college students in the summer, I will have a guarenteed slot out of OCS into Flight School; however, I get no financial aid what so ever. So I guess the big question is: which is the better deal? I posted this in the general forum so I can hopefully get some opinions from NAVY and Marine Corps pilots. Thanks to anyone who reads this and I greatly appreciate any advice given to me.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
you are in SLO but going to L.A.? I saw cal poly and thought 'Pomona'.

IRfly

None
BDCP is also a "guaranteed" spot in flight school. For BDCP you apply to a community (e.g. intel, aviation, supply) and if they accept you then, barring unusual circumstances, that's where you're going. You might want to keep in mind as well that BDCP does not exactly pay for school. It pays you a set salary and allowances every month. Therefore, if you're going to an in-state school with low tuition, you get to keep the extra money. Other benefits of BDCP include health coverage, accrual of leave, and accrual of time-in-service (meaning that you'll receive time-based pay raises and, in the distant future, retirement before many of your colleagues on the same career track). I can't tell you what the better deal is for you personally, but if you don't have an especial desire to join the Marine Corps, then BDCP is by far the most financially beneficial officer recruiting program out there.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
That said, don't join one or the other because of the money differences. Look into the culture and decide which is the best fit. Because they are very different.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
That said, don't join one or the other because of the money differences. Look into the culture and decide which is the best fit. Because they are very different.

Good advice. The cultures are a good bit different. Different mission and different history cause this. I'm going to take a guess and say that if you're even considering what the OSO is saying, then you want to be a Marine deep down inside. If you aren't looking past getting through school then BDCP will probably win out.

Oh yeah...And you have to be able to make it through Marine OCS and TBS which isn't exactly something the average guy does easily.

red_ryder

None
Whereas Navy OCS is more like a vacation. Free room and board, free exercise program, free motivational speakers, and free wake up calls, all within 5 mins of the beach. ;)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Good advice. The cultures are a good bit different. Different mission and different history cause this. I'm going to take a guess and say that if you're even considering what the OSO is saying, then you want to be a Marine deep down inside. If you aren't looking past getting through school then BDCP will probably win out.

Oh yeah...And you have to be able to make it through Marine OCS and TBS which isn't exactly something the average guy does easily.

I would take this Koolaid with a grain of salt (no offense Mike). Just because he "considered what the OSO said" doesn't make his veins flow green all of a sudden. It is a decision that many make and go both ways. It appears that he is looking at the Marines because he wasn't aware that BDCP was a guaranteed SNA slot and the Marine OSO told him that Marines guarantee SNA. That is how I read his post. On top of that, why wouldn't he be enamoured with Navy Culture? Is the Navy only about BDCP money? I personally chose Navy culture over Marine culture (a big factor in my decision between the services). If he is looking beyond college and likes the Navy culture, then he'll choose accordingly. This isn't intending to bash the Marine Corps, but rather to defend the Navy.

Either way, the bottom line is this: Both services offer a guaranteed SNA slot upon signing a contract. BDCP pays you during school (Active duty E-3 pay with full benefits and time in service). The Marine corps pays you over the time you are are in OCS and it appears that they now will wipe out your college debt (depending upon your situation's applicability to the new instruction).

So it comes down to this: do you like the Navy's culture or the Marine Corp's culture better? Money is money, and they pay you in different ways at the beginning, but in the end it is a career that you're going to have to enjoy or be miserable, so find out as much as you can and choose wisely!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I never said anything bad about the Navy. I wanted to, but I didn't!

Truly though, there is nothing wrong with either branch. Apply to both at the same time and make them work for you. But it's okay to admit it...you want to be a Marine.

As far as OCS...I don't think you want to get in a pissing contest.

MasterBates

Contrary to Jarhead teachings, not everyone wants to be a Marine.

I know the fact that you have drank the juice of the YutYut berry makes this hard to believe, but it is true.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I never said anything bad about the Navy. I wanted to, but I didn't!

Truly though, there is nothing wrong with either branch. Apply to both at the same time and make them work for you. But it's okay to admit it...you want to be a Marine.

As far as OCS...I don't think you want to get in a pissing contest.

Fair enough. Let the man choose for himself!

And it's been said time and again on this site: Marine OCS = more PT (obviously). Navy OCS = more suck.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Contrary to Jarhead teachings, not everyone wants to be a Marine.

I know the fact that you have drank the juice of the YutYut berry makes this hard to believe, but it is true.

Mmmmm...yut yut berries...

standard.jpg

Not to be confused with yut yut melons....

51J2D0XKKAL.jpg

Mmmm...yut yut melons.