• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps versus Navy Aviation Questions

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someone searched and posted a follow on question to a thread that was started just shy of 8 years ago. Is this a record?

We sometimes merge older threads when a new question pops up that has been asked before. What you're reading is the merger of three separate threads.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
We sometimes merge older threads when a new question pops up that has been asked before. What you're reading is the merger of three separate threads.

Damn, I was going to be very impressed with the new guy using the search button. Guess today isn't that day.

Topper Harley

Good NEWS everyone!
Marines GUARANTEE Flight school?

I've been reading on a number of different Marine Corps websites and have seen them state on all of them that they are the only branch of the U.S. Military that GUARANTEES a spot at flight school if you pass a written, physical, and mental exam. One site also stated that the Navy and Air Force are prone to offering a flight contract and then you end up as an aviation maintenance officer or something. Is this true? How is the Marine Corps guarantee as opposed to the Navy SNA contract? Thank you for your help?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I've been reading on a number of different Marine Corps websites and have seen them state on all of them that they are the only branch of the U.S. Military that GUARANTEES a spot at flight school if you pass a written, physical, and mental exam. One site also stated that the Navy and Air Force are prone to offering a flight contract and then you end up as an aviation maintenance officer or something. Is this true? How is the Marine Corps guarantee as opposed to the Navy SNA contract? Thank you for your help?

No, the Navy and Air Force both guarantee a slot at flight school as well. You can go to OCS as a an SNA in the Navy, and as a Pilot slot in the AF...

81montedriver

pilot

The Marine Corps guarentees a spot at flight school assuming that you have been awarded an air contract, and get through OCS and TBS. Realize that although you will be working in aviation as your job, you are a Marine Officer first. Many air contract Marines get a bad name from the start with the FIGMAC mentality. They think the stuff learned at TBS will not matter because they will never have to use it which is not true at all.

As was also stated, it is great that you have a goal of wanting to fly jets, but one of the best pieces of advice I can give you is to keep your options open. I have never spoken to a Marine Aviator who has not loved their job, whether they are a jet pilot, helo pilot or Herc pilot. After spending some time around helo's at TBS lots of guys get moto about helo's. If they still want to be jet pilots after TBS, others find out during primary that they do not like the feeling of pulling G's or flying upside down and change their mind there.

So control what you can control, keep your options open, and enjoy the ride.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Thank you for your help?

I'm Ron Burgundy?

d39ef8449fc12118a02384ca3390eecc.jpg

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
What percent use the search function?:D
Because you're one of the good guys, I'm going to let you slide this time........

But if any of you other yahoos that think this one time leniency I'm showing makes it okay to use any permutation of the percent question, think again. The ban hammer is always eager to smash someone.