• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine F/A Super Hornet down - pilot ejected safely

MasterBates

RetreadRand said:
Bitter Much, Bates? :)

Nah, I had fun with it. Just a reminder that the needs of the Navy, Percieved or Real take precedence over what you want.

But, any flying job is a good job.

For those who have not met me, my sarcasm/humor does not come across online well..

mike bennett

F/A-18 Hornet Down - More "Breaking News"

Dear Forum Members,

I've been keeping an ever watchful eye on the information about the mishap and I can understand the frustration that you must feel when reading the information that reaches the public in the public domain -from "the Media".

In there effort to fill columns and news reports the aditional speculative information added is for the main "erroneous", and at worst incorrect and often indirectly suggests human error. This can only generate a complete misconception in the eyes of the reader.

I fully support the moderators editing of my earlier post that was "quoted" from a news alert and now appearing in dozens of publications.

As a member of the "public" and the intended audience of this never ending stream of 24 hour "news" trying to determine the facts I agree that waiting for the investigation report is important.

Without wishing to further frustrate you I did think that the following taken from another set of news alerts might be of interest.

". . . The cause of the incident is under investigation. Investigators will interview the pilot and listen to the tape of his communications with the flight tower."

They could have padded it oout with such speculation as -
". . . the investigators will probably be awake, sitting down in a comfy padded leather chair, sipping a wam coffee - etc etc.

Perhaps, and this is only a suggestion, as you end up having to deal with this kind of unhelpful reporting, you could offer classifications to such reports in a similar manner that mishaps carry.

I won't offer any as I'm sure you have many of your own - I expect though - "and this is only speculative - that there will be a B/S of the week" class:D .

Regards and respect

Mike Bennett

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Personally, I don't understand Mr. Bennett's almost macabre fascination with this subject.

First of all, of all the things to invest my time in, keeping a historical database of aircraft ejections would not be very high on my list.

Secondly, I personally know 2 men who have had to eject from damaged aircraft & neither one likes to discuss their experiences. Granted, this is an extremely small sample to form an opinion from, but I can't help but feel that there are others who have had to eject who feel the same way.

Just my 2 cents.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
First of all, of all the things to invest my time in, keeping a historical database of aircraft ejections would not be very high on my list.

Secondly, I personally know 2 men who have had to eject from damaged aircraft & neither one likes to discuss their experiences. Granted, this is an extremely small sample to form an opinion from, but I can't help but feel that there are others who have had to eject who feel the same way.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, there's lots of people that don't understand why I like to make stuff out of wood, or play with guns and reloading stuff or fly fish and tie flies or do computer stuff or play with old Italian cars or work on an old house or have an interest in aircraft of the 1920's and 30's or a myriad of other things. For that matter golf holds little fascination for me.

Mike, although a new member here, has been working on this project for years and has been active in mucho newsgroups on Usenet and HTML sites over that time. While I have little to contribute to the cause never having need to step outside while airborne, I respect his interest and passion in such matters.

FWIW I've known perhaps a dozen people over time that have had to eject and those that remember it had no qualms in describing it as a lesson on what to expect for those of us that hadn't and that includes one gent who left one of his hands in a Prowler attached to his watch.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The following is from the Navy News Stand.

CVW 9 Pilot Rescued in North Arabian Sea
From USS John C. Stennis Public Affairs

USS JOHN C. STENNIS, At Sea – ...

The pilot ejected from the aircraft, an F/A-18C Super Hornet assigned to Marine Fighter Attack Squadron (VMFA) 323, at approximately 3:19 p.m.

And this is from a Navy source. What excuse do they have?

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Personally, I don't understand ...

Fair enough. But take a second or two and try to magine a world where everyone had the exact same preferences in life.

Ahh, robots come to mind. I think I will stand on the side of diversity.:confused:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fair enough. But take a second or two and try to magine a world where everyone had the exact same preferences in life.

Ahh, robots come to mind. I think I will stand on the side of diversity.:confused:

THREAD JACK WARNING
I hate what the word diversity has come to mean in most contexts. I know what you meant. Your comment brings to mind an audit the FAA did many years ago at an airline of their hiring and the resultant pilot that ended up in the cockpit. Essentially, they found that the pilot corps of that particular airline was too homogeneous. It was suggested that more variety in personality types, aeronautical experience, training backgrounds and previous employment was safer. Guys with a little less in common showed more interest in the others experiences and lessons. Some differing personalities were more compatible with each other then some others that were the same. Just because guys were of similar personality and background did not guarantee they got along or promoted CRM. That airline was encouraged to loosen up the broad strict set of requirements it applied to applicants.

Just for fun, consider this when "quality spread" is debated.

End Thread jack

MasterBates

I have lively discussions on:

Divorce
Women
Selection
FITREPs

Just hard to pick out the ones that re not threadjacks..

Dammit, I'm threadjackin again..

/threadjack