• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine One

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Read about the Army sharing Presidential lift responsibilities in a WSJ piece in the Early Bird. Didn't realize that, but it's true as stated in HMX-1 Official History:

Realizing the urgent need for his presence in Washington, President Eisenhower directed his staff to find a faster way to Air Force One. As luck would have it, an HMX-1 UH-34 helicopter was on Rhode Island in case of an emergency and could be used to fly the President to his awaiting aircraft. President Eisenhower approved the idea, and after the 7-minute flight a precedent was set.

Shortly thereafter, a naval aide to the President asked HMX-1 to evaluate landing helicopters on the south lawn of the White House. Preliminary assessment and trial flights concluded that ample room was present for a safe landing and departure. Formal procedures were finalized and HMX-1 began a long career of flying the President of the United States to and from the South Lawn and Andrews AFB, the home of Air Force One.

Initially this function was shared with the Army. In 1966, the Marine Corps was assigned the sole responsibility and mission of providing helicopter support to the President, worldwide. Today HMX-1 also supports the Vice President, Secretary of Defense, Secretary of the Navy, Commandant of the Marine Corps, and all visiting Heads of States in the Washington, D.C. area.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
The rest of the story that I heard was that somehow the Army screwed the pooch and lost the privilege of Presidential airlift.

aircav06

None
The Army shared Executive Flight Detachment responsibilities from 1958 to 1976.

Attachments

• Army 1.jpg
    Army 1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 95

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
When W landed in the S-3 was he Navy 1?

Yes, he was in 'Navy One'.

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/events/oct_03/oct03_events23.html

If he is in any military aircraft the callsign becomes 'Coast Guard One', 'Army One', 'Navy One' etc. The same goes for any Air Force plane he is in, sometimes he might take a C-32 or a C-40 from the 89th Wing for shorter flights instead one of the two VC-25's.

What I find interesting is that it was a Marine aircraft, a VH-3, but they still called it Army One with just an Army crew. I thought it was always the owner of the aircraft, not the crew.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
That helo that Nixon rode in from the white house is now a test platform at HX-21 in Pax River...just a tidbit.

Grant

Yes, he was in 'Navy One'.

If he is in any military aircraft the callsign becomes 'Coast Guard One', 'Army One', 'Navy One' etc.

I think read somewhere that if the President travels in a civil aircraft, it would have callsign "Executive One". Can anyone conform or deny this?

For what reason the President would ride in a civvy bird, I have no idea.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think read somewhere that if the President travels in a civil aircraft, it would have callsign "Executive One". Can anyone conform or deny this?

For what reason the President would ride in a civvy bird, I have no idea.

That is correct, straight from the FAA:

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/ATC/Chp2/atc0204.html

Nixon flew commercial once, to set an example during gas crisis in 1973. The aircraft did not take the 'Executive One' callsign. Rockefeller often used his own aircraft, and took the 'Executive Two' callsign.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Dammit! The full article is available only to WSJ subscribers. Cliff's Notes, anyone?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Short version: so much capability has been added on that weight has increased to the point of needing total redesign to handle it, moving it from COTS to new development. Goes on to ask if POTUS really needs what he is buying. Lots of political undercurrent to this discussion and lots of blame to go around on why there have been problems.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
The opening part of the article is disingenuous. The President uses Marine One for more than just flying from the White House to Andrews. Does the rest of the article take that into account?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The opening part of the article is disingenuous. The President uses Marine One for more than just flying from the White House to Andrews. Does the rest of the article take that into account?

You're looking for a fair and balanced article from a non aviation media source? Simple equation....controversy = circulation numbers