• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Pilot slot in NROTC?

FutureMarine311

The OU NROTC website says its possible for Marine-Option NROTC students to be given a pilot or NFO MOS guarantee similar to the PLC contract early on (Sophmore/Junior year).

I have heard this other places as well.

Can any confirm this?

Im still trying to decide which route (PLC/NROTC) would be best for me.

Thanks.

mjcIII

USMC LCpl
I can give you a little input. If you decide to go PLC... PLC will not interfere with your college life at all. Whereas NROTC can.( i.e. if you go NROTC you are required to take their classes). So say you are trying to major in psychology, you have a 3pm psych class and a 3pm NROTC class. Guess which one comes first. PLC you do not have to take classes for. You go to two 6 week courses during you summers, if accepted as a freshman; or sophomore or one 10 week course as a junior. All of which are done in-between your college years.

FutureMarine311

Yeah what you said is definetly true.

I took JROTC in High school and I never had any problems with conflicting schedules, but I know that college and real-ROTC is a whole different ball game.

My only issue with PLC is that it seems pretty competitive, if you don't get accepted, you are out of luck.

College program NROTC offers a commission to all college students who are qualified and will put in the effort.

From what Ive seen here are the pros of each

ROTC:

Comradiere with your fellow students (you will be attending all the summer cruises, OCS/TBS with the same people)

4 years of a semi-military enviornment and a lot of knowledge can be packed in that time that you won't get from two sessions at PLC

A good chance of getting a aviation slot with good GPA and commander ranking

Scholarships

Get commissioned/into TBS right after graduation

PLC:

Aviation contracts

Doesnt interfere with school academic year

Higher pay once you are commissioned

Some tuition assistance

No commitment to service

I have some time to make my decision, and I want to be as informed as I can.:)

pilotvmi

I'm pretty sure you can get an early guarantee on a flight slot in nrotc. It can be a hassle, but for me it was worth it. I dont know exactly how plc works but I didnt have to pay one cent for college. We even got a stipend for books. Paying off college loans from what I hear is a hassle.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I can give you a little input. If you decide to go PLC... PLC will not interfere with your college life at all. Whereas NROTC can.( i.e. if you go NROTC you are required to take their classes). So say you are trying to major in psychology, you have a 3pm psych class and a 3pm NROTC class. Guess which one comes first. PLC you do not have to take classes for. You go to two 6 week courses during you summers, if accepted as a freshman; or sophomore or one 10 week course as a junior. All of which are done in-between your college years.

This is not entirely true. If there's a schedule conflict and you need to take said class at that time because it's a req (but not because you don't want to take it at 7:30am), you can find ways to work w/ the unit to fulfill both requirements. When I went through ROTC, there was a separate company/platoon/group of people that met at a different time than the rest of the battalion. The size would vary from semester to semester, but they certainly made allowances for education. A lot of nurse options were usually in that group since their classes went all day at the hospital.

I don't mean to try and steer you any one direction, just sharing in the interest of full disclosure.

mjcIII

USMC LCpl
I would listen to any of those with experience. I have met with the XO Lt. Col. (who is also a family friend). He has told me that PLC is a great way to go and the OSO told me that PLC is one of the best kept secrets in the military. I have a buddy who received ROTC and NROTC scholarships and decided to go 92 day reserves ->PLC instead( he signed up under me). Weigh your options and recommendations and decide which route to go from there. Take your time, it took me 3 months of research to decide which route to take.

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor
There are aviation guarantees for Marine Option NROTC students that can be secured as soon as the second semester of your sophomore year.

Also, like gatordev stated, the purpose of NROTC is to graduate and commission officers. Obviously, if you don't graduate, you don't commission. So, classes that conflict with the ROTC drill period will take precendence most of the time. Generally, you won't be asked to volunteer for something or attend ROTC functions if it requires you to miss class. My unit even offers the chance for Midshipmen to be excused from morning PT a few times a semester if they have a test or a big paper due that day and they would benefit from the extra study time or sleep. Also, I know of many people in NROTC who have studied abroad for a semester. Bottom line is that it is in the interest of the ROTC unit to have Midshipmen go to class and make good grades. That said, you will be expected to sacrifice on occasion, and won't be excused from your 1400-1700 drill period because you want to take the 1400 Scuba Diving class instead of the 0800 class.

My opinion based on my ROTC experience compared to PLC:

If you are not on the 4-year Marine Option NROTC scholarship or do not pick it up after ~1 year of being a college programmer, PLC is a better choice.

I accepted the 4-year MO scholarship out of high school, so NROTC has been worth it for me. Because I have my tuition and books paid for, receive a monthly stipend ($250/month as a freshman, +$50 more every year afterwards) which helps but certainly does not cover my housing and living expenses, and have even received scholarships from my unit's alumni foundation totaling $3,000 during my time here, I can justify wearing the uniform to class once a week, getting up early a few times a week to PT, taking ROTC classes, and going to the 3 hour drill period every Thursday, along with the inevitable weekends spent fundraising, participating in drill competitions, or attending mando-fun events.

If I was not on scholarship, I would have a harder time justifying the work and time I put into ROTC when I could get the same commission through PLC.

I do believe the leadership development that occurs in NROTC is a significant benefit over PLC. The billets I have been assigned while in NROTC have given me an opportunity to develop basic skills like how to stand in front of a platoon and lead them in drill, or how to plan and organize events for 100+ people. Spending 2 summers in Quantico doesn't compare to the leadership and management skills you'll gain through 4 years of NROTC. Now, I'm not saying it's not something you can't get out of being in any other club on campus or quickly learn at TBS or soon thereafter, but NROTC certainly doesn't hurt your leadership skills.

And you only have to go to OCS for 6 weeks, no one wants to go back to that place a second time.

FutureMarine311

Yeah, with NROTC you also get to interact with senior officers for four years and soak in their knowledge and experience. Something you are'nt afforded in PLC.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Yeah, with NROTC you also get to interact with senior officers for four years and soak in their knowledge and experience. Something you are'nt afforded in PLC.

Ideally, yes this is true. Unfortunatly, my unit thinks that we should learn from Enlisted Marines about how to be officers...
I'm sorry, but how is an E-5 qualified to lecture me about how to be a good officer? :confused:
I think the most productive labs are when the Skipper and XO share experiences and give thier .02.

forbes

I finished up PLC last summer. Its a great program. However, from someone who went the PLC route i will say that NROTC is a great idea solely for the fact they pick up the tab when it comes time to pay tuition. If mommy and daddy are payin for it then id go PLC and spend your time studying and PT-ing. In response to a guaranteed commission, that is a load of crap. If you are a marine option you still attend OCS and are in a platoon with PLC-types, MECEP's and other NROTC guys. We had more NROTC guys get dropped than the others. playing soldier for a couple of years on campus and wearing a cute uniform dont make you a marine. youll still be evaluated like everyone else and if you cant hack it you wont be a marine officer.

forbes

-In response to FMRAM's post. If your going to pursue getting a commission as a marine you should probably begin to realize that noone will show you more thouroughly how to be a marine officer than a SNCO. Dont kid yourself, Enlisted marines are the backbone of the marine corps and its their lives your put in charge of so they should be the ones to train you....hence drill instructors at OCS.

forbes

By the way any of you NROTC guys know what happens to NROTC guys that get dropped from OCS? they ahve to pay it all back to the navy or do they get navy commission?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
-In response to FMRAM's post. If your going to pursue getting a commission as a marine you should probably begin to realize that noone will show you more thouroughly how to be a marine officer than a SNCO. Dont kid yourself, Enlisted marines are the backbone of the marine corps and its their lives your put in charge of so they should be the ones to train you....hence drill instructors at OCS.

Drill instructors? They are there to yell at you and show you how to fold your underwear... There is a reason that we don't have drill instructors at NROTC... I was speaking about more of a mentor relationship than a Full Metal Jacket scream session.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
noone(sic) will show you more thouroughly how to be a marine officer than a SNCO.

Did you come to this conclusion after your years of experience as an officer? It's certainly not like that in the Navy or the Corps. I didn't learn about being an officer by watching a Chief, and I certainly didn't learn it from a Second Class. Please stop throwing around those cliché recruiting poster phrases. It just confirms to all of us that you don't know what you're talking about.

Brett

forbes

-Brett327
I came by that conclusion from common sense. And did you come by that conclusion by your experience in the Marine Corps or the navy? Because, if the latter, with all due respect, I dont think there are many similarities. If the former and youve spent time as a Marine officer then my apologies and I stand corrected.

-FMRAM
If youve completed OCS and you learned nothing more than how to fold underwear from your staff then I feel your truly missed out on a challenging and humbling experience. Dont for a minute think that your ROTC program is OCS. Im quite sure NROTC is a great experience in which a great deal is learned. OCS wasnt created to teach you military history or terminolgy. Its a screening process.