• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Staff SGT. accused of rape

Lawman

None
One of my memories from Oki was when we went snorkeling at a really popular spot on a civilian part of the island, I don't remember the name. As we were packing up to go in the very crowded parking lot filled with locals a few Marines, you could tell by the massive tattoos that each one was sporting of the EGA/a Bulldog/USMC etc, starting throwing full beer cans and chasing each other through the parking lot. Not only was I angered by the waste of beer but was just a little bit more than disappointed by their total lack of regard for the numerous civilians who were looking at them in disgust.

Just another day in Japan......:D

Did you at least go over and say something. You know like, "You guys still want those?"

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did you at least go over and say something. You know like, "You guys still want those?"

In all seriousness, we were going to say something to them to save us all from embarassment but they were gone before we knew it. I guess all that PT finally paid off for them........:D

The Chief

Retired
Contributor

Interesting. Between the lines reading "...substantial amount of money changed hands in exchange for dropping charges". Japanese National Police could have still charged him even though the complaint was dropped. Saw several of these, in one instance, 5 of my men went into a Gay Bar in Yokohama and cleaned house. Pretty serious damage resulted. Think the figure was $10,000 to settle or $2K each, about $100K in todays $$ Yen rate. However, "DA" refused to drop and drug the case out for about 9 months. All five were in a legal hold. Finally dropped with Navy intervention. Another case, one of my men hit a pedestrian, not his fault under US law but he received 6 years in prison. Not sure if he served all as I left before it all went down.

Moral. Be very very careful in foreign lands. Most foreign countries have laws that are far different from ours. Japanese prisons are no picnic.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Interesting. Between the lines reading "...substantial amount of money changed hands in exchange for dropping charges". Japanese National Police could have still charged him even though the complaint was dropped. Saw several of these, in one instance, 5 of my men went into a Gay Bar in Yokohama and cleaned house. Pretty serious damage resulted. Think the figure was $10,000 to settle or $2K each, about $100K in todays $$ Yen rate. However, "DA" refused to drop and drug the case out for about 9 months. All five were in a legal hold. Finally dropped with Navy intervention. Another case, one of my men hit a pedestrian, not his fault under US law but he received 6 years in prison. Not sure if he served all as I left before it all went down.

Moral. Be very very careful in foreign lands. Most foreign countries have laws that are far different from ours. Japanese prisons are no picnic.

Must have been some serious "Gomenesai" money. (have no idea how to spell it).

As usual, the Chief knows what he's talking about. "Fish heads and rice" is not a euphamism. Folks loose serious weight in the Japanese slammer. It sure as hell isn't American style color TV country club jail.

Lawman

None
Must have been some serious "Gomenesai" money. (have no idea how to spell it).

As usual, the Chief knows what he's talking about. "Fish heads and rice" is not a euphamism. Folks loose serious weight in the Japanese slammer. It sure as hell isn't American style color TV country club jail.

My favorite part of it is that they make the prisoners be their own custodial staff. And if anybody has ever seen pictures of those places they are immaculate compaired to the filth that is the norm in our prisons.

adam28270

One thing I found out there during my cruise was that they love to practice their english on you. Around Tokyo everyone seemed to love us, it was a blast because people were so polite. We ended up partying with one group of Japanese who spent a few hundred dollars on us.

One thing I would suggest is to learn some basic Japanese though, and how to pronounce it correctly. Also learn the katakana and hiragana symbols so you can read signs. There is alot of english around Tokyo, but when we tried to catch a train back to Atsugi from the country side, there was no english to be found. Luckily a Japanese guy helped us out.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Japanese National Police could have still charged him even though the complaint was dropped.

An article I read this morning said that in a rape case, Japanese law says that they can not prosectue without the consent of the victim, so they couldn't move forward with the case once she dropped the complaint.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
An article I read this morning said that in a rape case, Japanese law says that they can not prosectue without the consent of the victim, so they couldn't move forward with the case once she dropped the complaint.

Could be, and I would never ever question a reporter regarding "facts" in their story.:eek:

The law could have changed over the years. Spent many a night in the Yokosuka lock-up, freeing up a wayward sailor or two. Frankly the Japanese National Police were always glad to get rid of a US Sailor, or Marine, happily giving them back to the military for the administration of justice.

Maybe it is the crime, that is, maybe rape cannot be prosecuted without consent of victim but simple assault and battery or willful destruction of property rises to "that" level. Was never involved in a rape case, most always drunk and disorderly, destruction of property, driving offenses, so have no first hand knowledge.

But on the other hand, guess it really makes no difference in the broad scheme of things. The Japanese will surely follow the case as it winds through the military justice system. We might hear about the case down the road. Hope not.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Their legal system, like ours, can be complicated. As I understand it, they don't need the victims permission/consent to prosecute.

Unlike our system though, if they lose at trial, the prosecution can appeal. I saw a guy have his case go all the way up to whatever their equivelant of the Supreme Court is after "winning" his case several times over.

Bottom line, don't fuck up in Japan. The rules are different, the consequences are more dire, and you'll feel a LOT of pain both inside the military and in their court system no matter how minor you think the infraction is or how little evidence they have.

A buddy of mine got a Japanese DUI after one (1) beer. He was a stellar individual and the Corps did not come after him, but he paid about 500,000 yen in fines.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
A buddy of mine got a Japanese DUI after one (1) beer. He was a stellar individual and the Corps did not come after him, but he paid about 500,000 yen in fines.

As the CoS reminds us at EVERY Quarters, .03 is the new legal limit. If you are a pax in a car driven by someone over .03, you go to jail too, and pay a huge fine. You even watch a beer commercial and you're over the limit!

One hell of a way to reduce DUI's!