• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine to Sailor?

johnsmith3168

This summer I graduated from USMC OCS in the PLC/COMB 08. I originally chose the USMC because I was told that they were the only ones who can actually guarantee a shot at flight school before taking a comission. I have passed the flight physical in corpus christi and the only things between me and flight school now are graduation from college (dec. 08) and TBS (who knows when). I got 8's on my ASTB and am graduating with a degree in Electrical Engineering with a 3.5 GPA. I am not committed to the Marine Corps until I raise my hand and take my oath after college graduation.

I am wondering if there is any way for me to switch over to the Navy and their officer programs on a guaranteed flight school contract without having to attend OCS again. Is it possible to "get credit" for the USMC OCS and go straight to flight school after graduation from college? I have 6 friends that are doing the Navy and love every minute of it. I have only one friend flying for the USMC and he never seems to happy... I dont have a preference for platform and only care that I am flying...

I was also looking at the coast guard. And before you knock the puddle jumpers, they have guaranteed flight options, but they also have new special operations programs what will allow you to do both flying and spec ops. No where else can you do that! They also have an exchange program with the US Navy which allows the coasties to go through SEAL training and after one deployment in the teams teach anti-terrorist training to the coast guards special forces (D.O.G.). Unfortunately for me though, my college doesn't qualify for the guaranteed flight program, blue-21. :(

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
First of all, before you give up on being a Marine, maybe you should get some more info about Marine Corps aviation. Shit man, you already finished OCS. Just because your friend doesn't like what he is doing doesn't mean you won't ... is there more to it that just that? I hope so - banking all of your hard work on what one friend says isn't the best move.

Whatever happens, good luck...

BTW, you will be hard pressed to find anyone here knocking the "puddle jumpers" as you call them. The Coasties have arguably the toughest flying to be found anywhere and are damn fine aviators ... after all they are Naval Aviators and nothing less would be expected :D

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
^^ What he said.

Plus, your OCS time won't mean squat to the navy. You can either reapply before you get commissioned and go to navy OCS, or get commissioned and go throught the painful dick-dance of interservice transfer.

It's up to you. Good luck.

USMC Helo Bubba

Contributor
Not trying to be a dick, but if after OCS you are still not sold on being a Marine you are probably doing it for the wrong reasons. I would not close any doors though!

Good luck!
USMC HB

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Seriously. Don't throw away the opportunity to be a Marine because your buddy isn't happy in flight school. I know lots of people from all branches who aren't happy here. Flight school is a red ass for everybody. The navy and coasties don't get a special program. Consider your source.

Like Devil Dog said: learn about the missions of Marine, Navy, and Coastie aviation. They aren't the same.

In the end, it's your commission. Good Luck.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I am wondering if there is any way for me to switch over to the Navy and their officer programs on a guaranteed flight school contract without having to attend OCS again. Is it possible to "get credit" for the USMC OCS and go straight to flight school after graduation from college? I have 6 friends that are doing the Navy and love every minute of it. I have only one friend flying for the USMC and he never seems to happy... I dont have a preference for platform and only care that I am flying...

I was also looking at the coast guard. And before you knock the puddle jumpers, they have guaranteed flight options, but they also have new special operations programs what will allow you to do both flying and spec ops. No where else can you do that! They also have an exchange program with the US Navy which allows the coasties to go through SEAL training and after one deployment in the teams teach anti-terrorist training to the coast guards special forces (D.O.G.). Unfortunately for me though, my college doesn't qualify for the guaranteed flight program, blue-21. :(

I wouldn't base your decision on one disgruntled Marine. There are plenty of unhappy people in any profession. I find it odd that you'd want to switch after having gotten through one of the harder parts of the required training to become a Marine aviator.

Ditto what HD said about how hard it would be to switch. Also realize that there might be a considerable wait for Navy OCS. You will likely have to explain to the Navy why you declined a Marine commission already--they might think you're some weido who just enjoys being yelled at. Interservice transfers may not be available at all once you join--they're dependent on your own service having an excess of people while the receiving service has a shortage. Right now, it's the opposite of what you would need to switch--the Navy has too many people, while the Corps doesn't have enough.

Lastly, no one here is likely to bust on the USCG, except in jest. They're a good service that also is receptive to interservice transfers who have COMPLETED their obligated service in another branch. You may be doing flying in support of USCG special ops, such as they are, but I guarantee you no service is dumb enough to break a pilot by sending him to SEAL BUD/S training.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Interestingly enough I'm at the crossroads of deciding which service I am going to join. I got all my papers in with the Corps, but still not 100% sure yet. Though it's weird to hear you went through OCS, then later decided you might not want to be a Marine. Usually don't people use OCS as the way to decide whether or not the whole thing clicks?

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Usually don't people use OCS as the way to decide whether or not the whole thing clicks?

Eh, maybe. OCS is not the Marine Corps. They are the gate keepers. You get a taste of the culture at OCS. The real 'magic' happens at TBS.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Eh, maybe. OCS is not the Marine Corps. They are the gate keepers. You get a taste of the culture at OCS. The real 'magic' happens at TBS.

Yeah, when I think 'TBS' I think 'magicical' ... ;)

joshmf

If the OP is still interested, I used to be in the Marine Corps, and am now in the Navy. To be honest, I've loved pretty much every minute of both, though they've both had their share of suck. I joined the Marine Corps when I was 18 because I wanted to jump out of a helicopter blazing a machinegun. I joined the Navy at 26 because it matched my professional goals, and I'm looking forward to cruising the world and enjoying exotic ports.

The point I'm making: find out about the mission of both services, and go with the one that appeals to your gut. Both services have great cultures and a vital mission, so go with the one that 'feels' right, and don't listen to your friends who may mean well, but aren't YOU.

johnsmith3168

The thing that caused me to second guess was my platoon commander said to pick the mission and not the platform, that way you will always be proud of what you are doing. There are great missions in all of the services. I picked the USMC without considering any other branches because I wanted to be a part of the service which in my mind was the best and have the sense of honor knowing that I had truly accomplished something that most people cant do. I wanted the leadership experience and I thought that I wanted to be a rifleman as well. Having been through OCS, the infantry is not where I want to be. I am glad that someone does it, and I think they are truly the thoughest group of individuals out there, but it just isn't for me... I wanted to look at the Navy to avoid TBS which as far as I can tell is a continuation of OCS and infantry training, but if I have to suck it up for six months in order to contribute in the area I am most suited for, then I will.

Being a Marine Aviator is much more than being a Naval Aviator (i wouldn't even think of going to any other flight school, it is second to none), it requires the Corps before yourself, and I identify with that. I am not a quitter and I didn't want anyone to ever tell me that I couldn't cut it. That is why I made sure to finish leaving no doubt and keeping my options open. You should always finish what you start, and accomplish the mission.

My first choice, if I pick the mission, is the coast guard, I would much rather risk my life to save someone without having to take life in the process. But I still feel the call of duty in the Marines, I just wanted to avoid the infantry if possible. If I have to do OCS again for the Navy, than I would rather just do TBS and go with the Marines, especially since I already have put in so much time (and the Corps has also).

Thanks for the information and your opinions. It has been helpful. Now, I guess I have a choice to make if I want to take a bird in the hand with the Marines or take a risk and go for the coast guard.