• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine to Sailor?

sodajones

Combat Engineer
sisterinabrothel.jpg

I kid, I kid.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
... Having been through OCS, the infantry is not where I want to be. I am glad that someone does it, and I think they are truly the thoughest group of individuals out there, but it just isn't for me... I wanted to look at the Navy to avoid TBS which as far as I can tell is a continuation of OCS and infantry training, ...

Being a Marine Aviator is much more than being a Naval Aviator (i wouldn't even think of going to any other flight school, it is second to none), it requires the Corps before yourself, and I identify with that. I am not a quitter and I didn't want anyone to ever tell me that I couldn't cut it. That is why I made sure to finish leaving no doubt and keeping my options open. You should always finish what you start, and accomplish the mission.

My first choice, if I pick the mission, is the coast guard, I would much rather risk my life to save someone without having to take life in the process. But I still feel the call of duty in the Marines, I just wanted to avoid the infantry if possible. If I have to do OCS again for the Navy, than I would rather just do TBS and go with the Marines, especially since I already have put in so much time (and the Corps has also).

First, you realize that the Marines and Navy go to the same flight school, right?

OCS is not what TBS is, and TBS is not what the Marine Corps is. They are important parts of what make up the Corps, but they are not what you'll experience once you are out in the real Marine Corps.

I wouldn't get all philosophical about taking or saving lives. Plenty of Marines have done casevac (casualty evacuation) in their aircraft. When they say, pick the mission, think about it. Do you want to drop bombs, shoot missiles, or carry Marines to battle? On the other hand, do you want to be flying out in crap weather to drop a rescue swimmer? There's no right answer, but that's the kind of thinking they say when the phrase, "pick your mission is used."

If you think the Corps would be second place to the USCG, then by all means, go Coastie.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
OCS is not what TBS is, and TBS is not what the Marine Corps is. They are important parts of what make up the Corps, but they are not what you'll experience once you are out in the real Marine Corps.
It's worth reading that part again. There is much shared agony for all during both. As far as flight school goes, its a great time. I wish it didn't have to end so fast. Some guys just can't get enough, ask MB.

NavyAsh

This summer I graduated from USMC OCS in the PLC/COMB 08. I originally chose the USMC because I was told that they were the only ones who can actually guarantee a shot at flight school before taking a comission. I have passed the flight physical in corpus christi and the only things between me and flight school now are graduation from college (dec. 08) and TBS (who knows when). I got 8's on my ASTB and am graduating with a degree in Electrical Engineering with a 3.5 GPA. I am not committed to the Marine Corps until I raise my hand and take my oath after college graduation.

I am wondering if there is any way for me to switch over to the Navy and their officer programs on a guaranteed flight school contract without having to attend OCS again. Is it possible to "get credit" for the USMC OCS and go straight to flight school after graduation from college? I have 6 friends that are doing the Navy and love every minute of it. I have only one friend flying for the USMC and he never seems to happy... I dont have a preference for platform and only care that I am flying...

I was also looking at the coast guard. And before you knock the puddle jumpers, they have guaranteed flight options, but they also have new special operations programs what will allow you to do both flying and spec ops. No where else can you do that! They also have an exchange program with the US Navy which allows the coasties to go through SEAL training and after one deployment in the teams teach anti-terrorist training to the coast guards special forces (D.O.G.). Unfortunately for me though, my college doesn't qualify for the guaranteed flight program, blue-21. :(

You should definitely weigh all your options before you make any kind of decision. I am not sure if it's possible for you to get credit for USMC OCS or not, but the Navy just launched a new site that contains detailed information about their officer programs, if you want to check that out.