• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine vs Navy EA-6B

Ralph

Is there any difference mission wise between the two? I know that Marine Prowlers don't deploy on boats.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is there any difference mission wise between the two? I know that Marine Prowlers don't deploy on boats.

They're functionally equivalent. There are two flavors of Navy VAQ squadrons - ones attached to Carrier Air Wings and those who perform the "expeditionary" mission. Marine Prowlers and Navy Expeditionary Prowler squadrons generally deploy to the same places (Iraq, Afghanistan, Japan). One long term difference though is that the Navy will begin replacing their fleet of Prowlers in 2009 with the new EA-18G, whereas the Marines are going to keep their Prowlers around a bit longer, probably until 2013. The future of Marine EA is uncertain, but most people think they'll get out of EA/EW altogether when they retire their Prowlers. So, if you want a career in EA, the Navy is the place to be.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They're functionally equivalent. There are two flavors of Navy VAQ squadrons - ones attached to Carrier Air Wings and those who perform the "expeditionary" mission. Marine Prowlers and Navy Expeditionary Prowler squadrons generally deploy to the same places (Iraq, Afghanistan, Japan). One long term difference though is that the Navy will begin replacing their fleet of Prowlers in 2009 with the new EA-18G, whereas the Marines are going to keep their Prowlers around a bit longer, probably until 2013. The future of Marine EA is uncertain, but most people think they'll get out of EA/EW altogether when they retire their Prowlers. So, if you want a career in EA, the Navy is the place to be.

Brett
Tell us Brett....how much sea time do you have? :icon_wink

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Hey Brett...
as much as I love seeing your avatar of "Old Serpenthead", (that's from his wife, MM, by the way), I have always wondered why you chose him, seeing that you are one of the elder spokesman of this forum.

Casey

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
3 days? Were you not the "det-ing" type when you were LAMPS?

Going from VP sea duty, to LAMPS shore duty (no dets), to expeditionary Prowlers doesn't leave much room for being underway. I had to go out of my way to get what little underway time I do have. Don't worry, the Navy is going to get their pound of flesh as my upcoming period of back to back sea duty will be on a boat.

As for for Jimi Carville, that pic is what I imagine AW users think I look like as I spout my curmudgeonly rants. Frankly, I think he's insane and/or a space alien. :)

Brett