• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mast bumping and other helo terror

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
HA! You caught me...nah, I just never flew in anything but the '60 and just wanted some insight...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Several years ago we had a traffic reporter (recent FW transition) in a R-22 respond to a model rocket climbing up at him by pushing the nose over. Result was mast bump, tail boom speration, rotor blade seperation and fatality.

Wait, so what happened? On top of mast-bumping, did the main rotor strike the tail boom causing separation? That's a horrible fucking day. Basically turn flying machine into beveled brick.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wait, so what happened? On top of mast-bumping, did the main rotor strike the tail boom causing separation? That's a horrible fucking day. Basically turn flying machine into beveled brick.

Yep. Took a cut out of the flimsy tail boom and it folded right up. Of course the blade came off after hitting the tail boom. NTSB said his FW training probably caused him to operate the cyclic like he would a stick in a plane once startled by the approaching rocket.

Pags

N/A
pilot

It's not like the mast bump hadn't already screwed him over. Once the rotors have left the helo, there's not much more you can do. The fact that the rotors took the tail with it when it left just means that a little bit less of your helo will accompany you to your crash site.

Also, there are some helos where excessive aft cyclic and low collective can cause the MR to contact the tail boom. When I was at HSC-3, there was a IGB cover with a gash in it from a MR blade. Came within inches of hitting the IGB. H-3 and Hind are also notorious for this sort of behavior.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It's not like the mast bump hadn't already screwed him over. Once the rotors have left the helo, there's not much more you can do. The fact that the rotors took the tail with it when it left just means that a little bit less of your helo will accompany you to your crash site.

Also, there are some helos where excessive aft cyclic and low collective can cause the MR to contact the tail boom. When I was at HSC-3, there was a IGB cover with a gash in it from a MR blade. Came within inches of hitting the IGB. H-3 and Hind are also notorious for this sort of behavior.

Oh, I'm well aware. I was just saying that's almost impressively bad how he managed to take the tail boom with the main rotors too.... Like insult to injury... :(

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
So how do you mitigate low-g conditions during terrain masking? I know you want to cross cliffs/peaks at a diagonal to reduce the magnitude of the pitch change, but is there an accelerometer or does the pilot's butt serve as that instrument to determine .5g?

Pags

N/A
pilot
So how do you mitigate low-g conditions during terrain masking? I know you want to cross cliffs/peaks at a diagonal to reduce the magnitude of the pitch change, but is there an accelerometer or does the pilot's butt serve as that instrument to determine .5g?

Well, this mast bumping crap only applies to helos with a flapping rotor system. Fully articulated rotor systems allow for a lot more maneuverability. But, part of the bunt maneuver is to freeze the collective as you come over the ridge, which keeps power on the head and allows cyclic inputs to be effective.

If you go into lower g regimes in a 60, you can make a control input and the helo won't respond to the position of the rotor system. When you put power back on the head, the helo will follow rotors. Clear as mud?

You see, there's a mechanical axis and a virtual axis...The mechanical axis is basically the rotor shaft. The virtual axis is perpendicular to the tip path plane (or rotor disc, which tilts around as the cyclis is moved.). The virtual axis is basically the direction that the lift vector is going. The mechanical and virtual axis don't always line up. When you move the disc forward to accelerate forward, the virtual axis is no longer in line with the rotor shaft. The fuselage (and mechanical axis) will attempt to realign itself with the virtual axis, resulting in a nose down accelerating attitude. If you are in zero g, the mechanical axis can't realign with the virtual axis, meaning that the rotor disc is moving about but not moving the actual aircraft. crystal clear, right?

MasterBates

Basically, in short, with no G on the head in a 60, you "wallow" until you get G back on the head.

Like in a jet, you can bank over to knife edge, but until you put G on the head, you aint gonna turn.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I did just sit through helo aero, so that actually all makes sense. I just wasn't thinking in 3-D as far as using roll to increase descent rate.

And I just realized the semi-articulated fleet aircraft are going away, anyway.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I did just sit through helo aero, so that actually all makes sense. I just wasn't thinking in 3-D as far as using roll to increase descent rate.

And I just realized the semi-articulated fleet aircraft are going away, anyway.

MB Isn't talking about using bank angle to increase descent rate (although it probably would to a degree). He is saying that using angle of bank to positively g-load the rotor-head while descending keeps you from the zero-g regime while still descending.