• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Media Support For Troops

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Saw this story this morning on Fox News - the plt. commander is a bud from my OCS plt. Kudos to the cameraman and the Marines who continue to bring the fight to the enemy.

Lobster

That's an awesome thing he did to get out and go back for the marine, cheers to the reporter.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Amazing he didn't get seriously injured by the ammo that fired. Definite props to the reporter. This goes beyond simple "media support for troops"

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Great story....thanks for posting. I wonder what Geraldo, Keith Olbermann, or Chris Matthews would have done??

Lobster

Great story....thanks for posting. I wonder what Geraldo, Keith Olbermann, or Chris Matthews would have done??

Haha speaking of the big names, does anyone remember Matt Lower on the Roosevelt about 10 years ago. He was down in the chow hall and was talking to the sailors and didn't know he was live and on the air. He looked at some sailor's food and goes "What the hell is that?" They cut back to Katie Couric in the studio in New York and her face just dropped in shock...Kind of off the beat and path of this thread I know but it just popped in my head.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Some reporters will probably fault him for not maintaining his "objectivity." After all, I remember a journalism panel some years ago wherein some major TV journalists said that they would not tip off US forces to an impending enemy ambush because they would lose journalistic credibility.

On the other hand, maybe this cameraman can finally take that d-bag Ollie North's place on Fox.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
After all, I remember a journalism panel some years ago wherein some major TV journalists said that they would not tip off US forces to an impending enemy ambush because they would lose journalistic credibility.

Just out of curiosity, if a reporter did tip troops off could that make him involved in what's going on? I don't want to say combatant, but it's almost like using cruise ships to carry munitions. Am I off here or is it a possibility?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Just out of curiosity, if a reporter did tip troops off could that make him involved in what's going on? I don't want to say combatant, but it's almost like using cruise ships to carry munitions. Am I off here or is it a possibility?

You mean like the QE2 and the Canberra during the Falklands? :)

I think I know what you are saying, but it probably applies more to red crosses than anything.

If you are a citizen of a country at war, you shouldn't even be putting yourself into a position where you are regularly interviewing, or reporting on the enemy for journalistic purposes. It's wrong by patriotism, AND it's wrong by objective journalism. It's just ethically out-of-bounds.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

I think I know what you are saying, but it probably applies more to red crosses than anything.

If you are a citizen of a country at war, you shouldn't even be putting yourself into a position where you are regularly interviewing, or reporting on the enemy for journalistic purposes. It's wrong by patriotism, AND it's wrong by objective journalism. It's just ethically out-of-bounds.

someone needs to tell that to that broke-nose SOB from CNN

2007-07-17-CNN-TSR-Ware.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

They carried troops (with their personal weapons of course) to the war zone, they were not used as ammo ships.

someone needs to tell that to that broke-nose SOB from CNN

2007-07-17-CNN-TSR-Ware.jpg

He is actually one of the smartest reporters on Iraq, a lot better than almost any other on a US network. That is, when he is not getting in a fights over Lara Logan. :D

Yankee Uniform Tango

Just because they criticize the current administration, doesn't mean they wouldn't support their fellow countrymen (or whomever) when faced with such a situation.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Geraldo already endangered the troops once with an OPSEC violation. Olbermann is a communist. Matthews is a liberal, but the only man among those three.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
They carried troops (with their personal weapons of course) to the war zone, they were not used as ammo ships.

He is actually one of the smartest reporters on Iraq, a lot better than almost any other on a US network. That is, when he is not getting in a fights over Lara Logan. :D

He just can't seem to remain objective...a small problem when you are a journalist.

navy09

None
Geraldo already endangered the troops once with an OPSEC violation. Olbermann is a communist. Matthews is a liberal, but the only man among those three.

Agreed. Matthews is certainly liberal, but I'd consider him one of the more well informed, likable (watchable) journalists on TV. Olbermann is a psycho- even more so than O'Reilly IMO.