• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medication

mts4602

I have an anxiety problem. Well, not diagonosed but I know thats the problem. When I am in new/stressfull situations I get sick to my stomach. Not just nervous but to the point that depending on the situation, I'm not very productive in what I'm doing. On a daily basis I am completely fine. I have had test after test and have found nothing wrong physically. My question is if I go ahead and tell my doctor I'd like to seek treatment for anxiety as with counciling or medication am I going to DQ myself from ever becoming a military officer? If taking medication is going to DQ me then I might try talking to someone first and see if that helps.

Also if anyone has been in a similar situation, any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Matt

Ajaxus

I don't know the rules for anxiety medications, but I would assume it is the same as the rules for any other medication for a psychological disorder. As someone that's been medication free for 16months and counting, the info I received about these medications is that the military views them as "mind altering" drugs. And at the time that I last spoke with a recruiter they said I must be medication free for 24mo's and able to prove that I have overcome any disabilities that resulted in the taking of such medications.

I would assume this info is still correct.

The thing to keep in mind is that alot of people have psychological disorders, it's just that some are diagnosed and treated for it and others go untreated. Contact a recruiter and ask them just to be sure that my info is still accurate.

If you can't get your anxiety undercontrol without medication then there is a chance that you will be limited from doing certain jobs or joining the military altogether.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I have an anxiety problem. Well, not diagonosed but I know thats the problem. When I am in new/stressfull situations I get sick to my stomach. Not just nervous but to the point that depending on the situation, I'm not very productive in what I'm doing. On a daily basis I am completely fine. I have had test after test and have found nothing wrong physically. My question is if I go ahead and tell my doctor I'd like to seek treatment for anxiety as with counciling or medication am I going to DQ myself from ever becoming a military officer? If taking medication is going to DQ me then I might try talking to someone first and see if that helps.

Also if anyone has been in a similar situation, any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Matt

Yes. You will probably put your officerhood at jeopardy. But, I think you need to reevaluate your career choice here anyway. If you get sick to your stomach and "nervous but to the point that depending on the situation, I'm not very productive in what I'm doing" then you probably do not belong in the military.

Do you think it is a smart idea, considering that you will be sent to war? Which is kind of full of stressful situations? You're liable to injure yourself and put a lot of your marines/shipmates/wingmen in danger.

It takes a lot of balls to recognize that you have a problem, and I commend you for that. I dont mean to degrade you, or anything, but I wonder how secure I would feel if I were oyu... knowing I was putting my friends and shipmates at risk everytime we did something stressful.

Not to mention, (this is an aviation website, so pardon my assumption) Aviation training is FULL of stress! I take stress very well, and I have been close to overwhelmed at points. No matter what careerpath you choose in the military... just your training will probably cause you a lot of undue pain and suffering if you are as sensitive as you say.

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
concur with what purdue said, dude if you can't handle stress being a military officer is not for you, especially in anything aviation related. Are you trying to get into aviation? I guess there might be some jobs for an officer that are relatively low stress, but yes, if you put down on your app that you recieved treatment for an anxiety disorder I think that would hurt your chances of being accepted.

mts4602

Purdue, Yes I understand everything you are saying. Which is why I haven't even spoken to an officer recruiter yet. It is specifically why I asked the question in the first place. I would not make it through the first day of OCS if my problem wasn't resolved. I KNOW that. Which is why I asked the question about medication b/c it is a route I may have to go. Day to day life I am fine but joining the military I would not be if I didn't fix whatever is wrong with me. I'm not dumb enough to think it will go away on its own. If I were to go the civilian route and fly that way I would be fine, but it's not what I want to do. So I might just have to see if I can get it resolved without medication and if that works I'll start applying then. Until then I can still PT and work on finishing college which is what I'm here to do anyways.

I'm not stupid guys. I don't need to be told I couldn't do it with my current situation. If I can get it resolved I would be fine. I was asking for advice on the military's stance on medication.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since your condition hasn't been diagnosed, you really don't know what you have. Armchair psychiatry is a bad way to approach potentially serious health problems. You're never going to get better if you withhold information from your doctor. It's not as though you can hide that kind of condition from the Navy either. Best bet is to get your condition treated, then move on.

Brett

mts4602

Since your condition hasn't been diagnosed, you really don't know what you have. Armchair psychiatry is a bad way to approach potentially serious health problems. You're never going to get better if you withhold information from your doctor. It's not as though you can hide that kind of condition from the Navy either. Best bet is to get your condition treated, then move on.

Brett

I understand. I've been working on getting it treated for the past year and a half. Which has put me in the situation I am in now. My last doctor, my pediatrican had a ton of tests done on me. We went from one test to another. When one test didn't find anything he tried another. Not too long ago my doctor said he thinks it may be anxiety related and nothing physical since obviously we haven't found anything wrong with me. Also my dad has a similar problem. He told me though that he really couldn't treat me anymore becuase I was getting too old. He referred me to another doctor which I am at right now and have only seen him once so far just to get started. I have not witheld any info from him but since I only saw him for the first time, he is exploring all the things that could be wrong with me physically even though the tests have already been done. He has even gone as far to tell me to just "try to relax and maybe it will help". I am going to see him again soon so maybe I will actually get somewhere this time.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand. I've been working on getting it treated for the past year and a half. Which has put me in the situation I am in now. My last doctor, my pediatrican had a ton of tests done on me. We went from one test to another. When one test didn't find anything he tried another. Not too long ago my doctor said he thinks it may be anxiety related and nothing physical since obviously we haven't found anything wrong with me. Also my dad has a similar problem. He told me though that he really couldn't treat me anymore becuase I was getting too old. He referred me to another doctor which I am at right now and have only seen him once so far just to get started. I have not witheld any info from him but since I only saw him for the first time, he is exploring all the things that could be wrong with me physically even though the tests have already been done. He has even gone as far to tell me to just "try to relax and maybe it will help". I am going to see him again soon so maybe I will actually get somewhere this time.

Anxiety disorders aren't diagnosed with "tests," but by an evaluation of symptoms per the DSM-IV, a manual published by the APA and used by mental health professionals. Most schools offer mental health services to their students. I'm sure they could hook you up so that your condition can be evaluated by a competent authority and not a GP or pediatrician.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anxiety disorders aren't diagnosed with "tests," but by an evaluation of symptoms per the DSM-IV, a manual published by the APA and used by mental health professionals. Most schools offer mental health services to their students. I'm sure they could hook you up so that your condition can be evaluated by a competent authority and not a GP or pediatrician.

Brett
That's true, but anxiety disorders tend to manifest themselves in the form of physical ailments. A person may not even know they have an anxiety disorder. Often they go to the doctor with some physical "problem" they want to get checked out. The doctor will often find nothing physically wrong, even after doing test after test. The doctor tells the patient that he/she is fine. I'm sure that's where this guy has been for the last year and a half.

Ajaxus

Brett is right on the money. As someone who's been working in the medical world for the last 3 years, a pediatrician is the furthest doctor from what you need right now. Their knowledge of psychological disorders is very limited. You're going to need a psychologist first to diagnose whatever is wrong with you. And if you and the psychologist deem medication to be necessary (it isn't always, therapy does help alot with many disorders) then you will need to find a psychiatrist for writing your prescriptions.

But more than anything you should talk to a Recruiter to get the full requirements and limitations. I would recommend talking to one AFTER you have been properly diagnosed by an experienced professional.

Edit: Steve is right as well. There are many things that need to be approached first before you go about talking to a Recruiter, let alone applying.

mts4602

Thanks for the help. After I see my doctor again in a couple of weeks I will definitly set up something with a psychologist. I guess I'm just scared that if I was diagnosed with something that it would affect me joining the military, but after thinking about it, I wouldn't make it in the military with my current situation right now anyways so if getting help rules out the chance of a military career at least I will be feeling better. Nothing has been ruled out yet. I need to get this figured out so my life can run a little smoother, much less a military career. I will update this later as things change and see if you all can advise me as to what to do next.

Thanks again,

Matt

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the help. After I see my doctor again in a couple of weeks I will definitly set up something with a psychologist. I guess I'm just scared that if I was diagnosed with something that it would affect me joining the military, but after thinking about it, I wouldn't make it in the military with my current situation right now anyways so if getting help rules out the chance of a military career at least I will be feeling better. Nothing has been ruled out yet. I need to get this figured out so my life can run a little smoother, much less a military career. I will update this later as things change and see if you all can advise me as to what to do next.

Thanks again,

Matt
Understand that any psychological disorder will be a factor if and when you go to get an FAA medical certificate, regardless of whether the disorder has been diagnosed.

Kulderas

Hey mts4602...not meaning to hi-jack your thread, but I'm kind of in the same situation, except mine deals with sinuses...

Probably about 10 years or so ago, I was diagnosed with Acute Sinusitis and was put on an antibiotic, which I'm not sure really helped (being so long ago)...well, I know I have sinus problems now (sinus headaches, sinus pressure, nasal drainage, and other crappy stuff). Anyway, if I go and seek treatment, what types of things will DQ me? I want to tell the doc to do whatever it takes, surgery included, but I'm sure that will DQ me correct? Why does it matter when it has been permanently fixed? Will certain medications DQ me?

I know I should go through with whatever fixes my sinuses, because I know it would make me feel a crapload better, but it really sucks that I could DQ myself from a dream.

Has anyone gone through this or has official word on this?

Thanks in advance.

Josh

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I believe Acute Sinusitis is a possible DQ for pilot. When I was young I have cronic sinus infections. When I was at MEPS I reported this. The doctor I was seeing vaguely asked, "So tell me about your sinuses." He seemed like he was digging for something, but I told him it was not a problem and does not affect the way I live any more. Sinus problems can incapacitate a pilot (and I presume a NFO too.)

Fubarsix, your sinus problem could kill an aviation career. I have known guys with sinus problems trying to do GA flight training. You would not believe the amount of pain they suffered on their bad days trying to descend. I would recommend seeing a civilian doctor and trying to get a remedy as soon as possible, if possible.

Mts, as for your issue I hope I can give you some help from my experiences. I went to MEPS with a past migraine condition. 1.5 years prior I got DQ'ed by DODMERB entirely while applying to the USAFA. An unsolved problem could do you in. I would try to get everything addressed NOW. Say you fix, partially or fully your issue. The worst that can happen is DQ you, but it is not always for life. Go in, do you best and if the doctor does not like something, wait until the time limit is up for your issue. If the Navy is a dream, do not give up on it. Life is not a race. As long as you get to where you want, nothing else matters. Worst case scenario, the Navy does not budge. You have done your best and the cards you were dealt did not favor you. No regrets there.

I wish you both the best of luck. I know the horrible feeling of uncertainty in medical situations.

IrishNavy05

pilot
Contributor
Hey mts4602...not meaning to hi-jack your thread, but I'm kind of in the same situation, except mine deals with sinuses...

Probably about 10 years or so ago, I was diagnosed with Acute Sinusitis and was put on an antibiotic, which I'm not sure really helped (being so long ago)...well, I know I have sinus problems now (sinus headaches, sinus pressure, nasal drainage, and other crappy stuff). Anyway, if I go and seek treatment, what types of things will DQ me? I want to tell the doc to do whatever it takes, surgery included, but I'm sure that will DQ me correct? Why does it matter when it has been permanently fixed? Will certain medications DQ me?

I know I should go through with whatever fixes my sinuses, because I know it would make me feel a crapload better, but it really sucks that I could DQ myself from a dream.

Has anyone gone through this or has official word on this?

Thanks in advance.

Josh

At his pre-commissioning physical, they diagnosed my brother with Nasal Polyps - not sure how similar this is to Acute Sinusitis, but I know they're both sinus problems. Anyways, it disqualified him from going unrestricted line, but restricted line was fine. He's now a IW guy.

Good luck