• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Medication

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Thanks for the help. After I see my doctor again in a couple of weeks I will definitly set up something with a psychologist. I guess I'm just scared that if I was diagnosed with something that it would affect me joining the military, but after thinking about it, I wouldn't make it in the military with my current situation right now anyways so if getting help rules out the chance of a military career at least I will be feeling better. Nothing has been ruled out yet. I need to get this figured out so my life can run a little smoother, much less a military career. I will update this later as things change and see if you all can advise me as to what to do next.

Thanks again,

Matt

Brett and Steve have passed along some pretty good gouge in their posts. I think your approach to finding a solution is off to a good start and definitely headed in the right direction. No matter which career path you choose, you must get the proper diagnosis.....then proceed accordingly.

Tom, chronic sinusitis is NPQ.

fubarsix, go here: for more info on sinus related issues. The first step is getting a proper diagnosis. http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver Guide - ENT.pdf

FWIW, nasal polyps before entry are generally DQ. However, if you are 3 years post surgery and have no problems that might be ok. For those in the Navy, waivers are considered.

Kulderas

Thanks for the info. I read the pdf and it says that "A common waiver stipulation is that the patient must have an ENT consultation for the first 3 years after surgery before waiver continuation can be recommended". I'm currently 23 so if I got the surgery tomorrow, I would be 26 before I could apply for a waiver...:( Isn't the max age to apply for pilot 27? That would be cutting it close...especially if I don't make it in the first time...what about a waiver for a waiver shortening the 3 year period? lol

Josh

mc282000

Does anyone know the answer to fubarsix's question? What exactly does this phrase mean "...patient must have an ENT consultation for the first 3 years after surgery before waiver continuation can be recommended"? What exactly is "waiver continuation"? Does that really mean people who have sinus surgery have to wait 3 years before a waiver will be granted? Or, does that mean that you can be granted a waiver shortly after surgery and for the waiver to continue to be valid ("waiver continuation") for subsequent physicals, you must have periodic check ups with an ENT for 3 years? Any help/clarification is greatly appreciated.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Thanks for the info. I read the pdf and it says that "A common waiver stipulation is that the patient must have an ENT consultation for the first 3 years after surgery before waiver continuation can be recommended". I'm currently 23 so if I got the surgery tomorrow, I would be 26 before I could apply for a waiver...:( Isn't the max age to apply for pilot 27? That would be cutting it close...especially if I don't make it in the first time...what about a waiver for a waiver shortening the 3 year period? lol

Josh

"A common situation....." doesn't mean it must happen. Of greater importance would be that: 1. You are documented as being asymptomatic and 2. You have been approved for and passed a low pressure chamber flight. My take on the sentence you quoted is that once you get a favorable ENT consult, you are good to go AND you must continue to get a consult in order for your wavier to be continued.

Your quote is also after this sentence: "If the patient successfully completes the run without pain or significant facial pressure, a waiver is generally recommended and usually granted."

In other words, IF you pass the LPC flight (OR SCUBA diving or aerobatic flight) without pain/pressure, you are good to go.

Or you could find a civilian LPC. My guess is that the NOMI docs will look more favorably upon a waiver for you.

IF I were in your position, I would call NOMI and ask them for specifics about your options. They may even be able to point you towards a civy LPC.