• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS & OCS Physical

Status
Not open for further replies.

squatrrs

I am surious as to what the physical at MEPS entails? What things do they do? What things disqualifies candidates at that physical? Also, what is the initial medical screening at OCS for? Is it to make sure that no injuries have occured since the MEPS physical? Lastly, what kind of dental disqualifications are there during the physical?

Thanks!

Good Luck to all of you applying to OCS!!! A big Congrats to those accepted!!!

kimphil

Originally posted by squatrrs
I am surious as to what the physical at MEPS entails? What things do they do? What things disqualifies candidates at that physical? Also, what is the initial medical screening at OCS for? Is it to make sure that no injuries have occured since the MEPS physical? Lastly, what kind of dental disqualifications are there during the physical?

That's a rather broad question. Let's start with the easy stuff. Illegal drug use, alcoholism, missing limbs, blindness. See where I'm going? If you have a specific question about what might disqualify you (ie you've had an operation, recent hospitalization, etc.) please ask. There are too many things that can disqualify to answer your question. As far as dental , I don't recall any disqualifications at MEPS, however, since you are on airwarriors.com, you should know there is a separate flight physical you will have to take and you can be disqualified there for dental.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

squatrrs

I had knee surgery 8 years ago to fix my meniscus and a broken arm 11 years ago that required surgery. Both have releases from my doctor and my OSO knows about them, but what happens at MEPS with those and my knee, specifically?

kimphil

Originally posted by squatrrs
I had knee surgery 8 years ago to fix my meniscus and a broken arm 11 years ago that required surgery. Both have releases from my doctor and my OSO knows about them, but what happens at MEPS with those and my knee, specifically?

Sorry, I have know I idea. Never broke a limb or spent a day in my life in the hospital, so I can't help you. However, I would guess you'd need (and would get) waivers for those. Anybody out there have a more concrete answer?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

WFU2USN

Try doing a search at about.military.com I know there's stuff about medical qual's./disquals on there. There are also the forums at www.military.com.

Expect the MEPS physical to be as thorough as you can imagine!!! They look at EVERYTHING! Phys. history, bloodwork, poking, prodding, the whole bit. I don't know all of the specifics for men, but I'm sure it's equally as annoying as the phys. for women.

Good luck!

Robin

Aimee

squatrrs, I had ACL reconstruction on one knee and had a fractured hip... MEPS sent me for an ortho consult. He x-rayed me and tugged on all my injured areas to see if it felt loose, etc. Also questioned me as to whether or not any of the old injuries bothered me (Correct answer to that: "Absolutely not"). So long as you aren't experiencing any complications from those injuries, I don't see why they would give you any problems. Good luck!

WFU2USN

Aimee,

Have you re-visited Victoria Secret to stock up on those white granny panties? I know you're leaving shortly...

haha

Good luck!

Robin

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
The time to get worried is when they tell you to drop your pants while they are putting on the latex gloves. Those hands are sure cold sometimes.

Q

Marine Helo Pilot

UVAFighter

Q-Ball is right. When the elderly doctor told me to bend over and spread my cheeks, my exact words were, "You're kidding, right?" Everybody that walks out of that little room has a huge frown on his face.

O-man

I broke my femor in three places when I was 11. I even spent seven weeks in traction,then 3 in a body cast. I had no problems getting in.

davidsin

Since you're at this site I'm assuming you're planning to go air. You gotta keep in mind that Meps has to porcess a lot more people as opposed the air physical, so the meps physical is a lot easier to pass.

As an example, my eye exam at meps was 20/20 on both eyes, and 20/30 when I took the air physical. And they have a whole other set of physical requirements for the air physical that you don't get tested for at Meps.

Things you gotta pass at meps: vision test, urinalisis (drug test), hearing test, physical dexterity test (joints-flexibility), draw blood (checking colestoral, blood sugar count etc.), previous medical records (may have to get waivers for previous injuries), etc.

Don't worry about not passing. If you're healthy now I don't think you gotta sweat it. You could get waivers for previous injuries. Just make sure you're not gonna test positive for drugs, HIV or STDs.

------------------------------------------
Semper Fi

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Quick question about height ...
I have always been measured at 5'4" since I can remember ...... I just found out that I will be going to meps in a couple of weeks so ..... as I am the curious person that I am, I started to measure myself only to discover that I am like 5'3" and like centimeters ... (maybe 3/4s). Is this going to be a problem. When I applied for Navy I didn't go to meps but the recruiter had to do all the meausrements before I submitted and said that I was good to go. Am I just being paranoid? Thanks.

peace,

Spin

davidsin

Here's a height and weight standards chart. If your height is not on there...then i think you're not qualified, but there are waivers for that. Min is 64" which is about 5'4" (5'3.9999996")

http://www.marinestoday.com/standards.php
------------------------------------------
Semper Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.