• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MEPS question - inhalers

d00002

You may want to do a search on AW for asthma and waivers. Asthma is definitely waiverable. A methocholine challenge test will define whether or not you have asthma now. If symptom free, waivers are possible.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
You may want to do a search on AW for asthma and waivers. Asthma is definitely waiverable. A methocholine challenge test will define whether or not you have asthma now. If symptom free, waivers are possible.

So I don't see an answer to this, and people need to really follow up on their questions they ask.. Sorry for pulling up an old thread but in 2006 I was given an inhaler for having walking pneumonia the doc said I had (no real test, just asked some questions). Regardless I filled the prescription, used it a few times and that was the end of it..

Am I gonna have to take an asthma test for this? Or possibly need a waiver? I mean I'm sure it's nothing but I already have enough to worry about with having a history of acid reflux..

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
The answer is out there if you look. Try 'DOCs Corner' then search.

Maybe to both of your questions. Acid reflux...easy waiver, assuming the proper meds control it.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
I did a search and this was what stood out to me that matched my case most. I also found this thread,

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97005

Stating any usage of an inhaler for whatever reason maybe is an auto DQ with no waiver.. Idk how true this is but this guy seems to be holding pretty strong by it that all the recruiters are telling him there is no chance in this current day,.. Seems pretty bogus..

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...ments/Waiver Guide - Respiratory 080624r.pdf

I think that Marine is a bit incorrect.

Sorry for my poor reading skills on your original question, somehow I missed the part about walking pneumonia.

Just use of the inahler, especially give the diagnosis, should not be a problem. You could get poked and prodded a bit more than 'normal', and maybe get the asthma test. It is possible you will need a waiver, but, this seems pretty simple. How long ago was the diagnosis?

Here are some results from this website regarding 'inhalers': http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1394620

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Thanks for the response Doc,

This was in 2006 for me and never had an issue since. There is another guy on here telling me he had the same problem and this was a few years ago. He had to get a letter from his congressman to get them to review his medical records. This all seems ob-sered to me, how difficult a a minor prescription for an inhaler unrelated to asthma is becoming such a big deal.