• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MH-60R Sleds

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Speaking of heavy lift helos, I was surprised to hear an MH-53E flying into Mayport this morning. Made my otherwise boring preflight more interesting to see that behemoth flare and taxi over to the transient line. I could even hear it over at the gas station on the other side of the base.

MasterBates

Grapes? We have civvie contractors who make our PC's run 1/4 mile to the pits, and then run back to the line. Wouldn't want to touch a helo, ya know.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, I was just making a funny. Although I did have an ABH recover me in the T-34 and get me fuel at the T-line. Not so much in the -60.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Maybe this?

Wow, looks just like a CH-53E......just bigger......bigger is better, right?.....:D

The HLR/ CH-53K is a Marine program. I haven't seen any sign of the Navy getting on board.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think some funding was identified for Sikorsky to look at a possible AMCM mission / Navy heavy lift mission for this new helo. It has been high on the MH-53E OAG (operational advisory group) "top ten" for the last 2 years. I don't recall on where (or if) it broke out on the All Helo top ten requirements list.

With program costs totalling over $20k per flight hour (MH-53) the bean counters seem to want to divest and look at other programs/platforms that could possibly do the mission (to some standard...maybe the good enough standard).

Who knows, though. The current airframes are being extended and there is a move afoot to get glass cockpits. Someone is looking out for Navy heavy lift.

We'll enjoy the airframe while we have it.