• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Microsoft Flight Simulator?

Brydown1

FY-07 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
Ok so a bunch of people I know have told me to start playing microsoft simulatorto prepare me for learning how to fly. The question I have is it worth it? Will it actually help me out? Any personnel experience that someone may have I would love to hear it.

Malice 1

pilot
I love it for helping me with Instrument procedures and navigation. If your want to do VFR stuff though, it's just another video game. All in all, I think it's worth the money.

Brydown1

No, this is like only my eight post and all of the other ones have been about NROTC. And plus I was on duty last night so I only had a couple minutes to check the website. I am really trying to learn the lingo that pilots use. So I am assuming VFR is virtual flight reality, but if I am wrong please feel free to 'upgrade' me. I know I have a long way to go until I get through college and then report to p-cola. So really I am just looking for things that I can do in the mean time that will help me better understand how to be a pilot.

yteggitdtoh

It can be a valuable training tool, it helped me.
I messed around with MS flight simulator for (infinity) years before I started flying. Nothing serious, just screwing around, and on my first flight my instructor told me he had never seen a new student with such good stick skills. I know that I am one heck of an instinctual pilot, but some of the credit has to go to MS.
Recently I have used a P-CAD (correct name?) and it helps a lot with procedures, instrument scans, ect.

PS.
VFR = Visual Flight Rules

SlickAg

pilot
VFR stands for Visual Flight Rules; i.e. flying using ground reference checkpoints for navigation. As for if Flight Sims, can help, I vote for yes. It will get you familiar w/ aviation terms and definitions. In my opinion though, nothing can really replace actual flying, but, if used properly, FS can help. I felt a lot better prepared for IFS b/c of my previous FS exposure, and my instrcutors seemed to agree. That's why the Navy has tried to integrate it into the flight program.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
VFR is an acronym for visual flight rules...these are the rules that govern flight when you are in VMC...visual meterological conditions...good weather.

Nothing gets you better at flying VFR (using the term now to mean flying in clear skies, head out of the airplane, concentrating mainly on the horizon and not your attitude gyro for attitude control etc....) than flying.

Junior

pilot
That is the first time I have ever heard anyone publicly say they think they are a good instinctual pilot. Other people tell you that you are a good stick, not yourself. End rant.

Back to the original post. A flight sim will probably help you learn some of the very basics. I had the cheapest of flight sims in high school and played it on my keyboard (didn't have a joystick). I think it helped just figuring out what an attitude gyro was and looking at other things. Give it a shot, but realize the limitations.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
If you want to buy flight sim for somthing fun to do everyonce in a while I'd say go ahead. If you want to get it to prepare yourself for real flying I'd say no. Flight Sim is good for practicing instrument procedures not for initially learning to fly (If you have charts). It may give you an introduction to what a 172 cockpit looks like but thats about it. If anybody thinks that they became some kind of flying prodigy from playing flight sim they're full of it.

Bottom line, it wont hurt you to play it but realize that you won't be any better off than every other new pilot. You're going to be overwhelmed the first time you fly but it's part of the journey so just enjoy because you won't always have the wonderful excuse that you're just starting out.

Brydown1

If you want to buy flight sim for somthing fun to do everyonce in a while I'd say go ahead. If you want to get it to prepare yourself for real flying I'd say no. Flight Sim is good for practicing instrument procedures not for initially learning to fly (If you have charts). It may give you an introduction to what a 172 cockpit looks like but thats about it. If anybody thinks that they became some kind of flying prodigy from playing flight sim they're full of it.

Bottom line, it wont hurt you to play it but realize that you won't be any better off than every other new pilot. You're going to be overwhelmed the first time you fly but it's part of the journey so just enjoy because you won't always have the wonderful excuse that you're just starting out.

Good point, never thought of that. So I guess that brings up another question. I am in the nuclear field currently, and they always rant and rave that it is the hardest school in the Navy ( I highly doubt it) but how hard is the flight path and how many people fail out of it and are forced into other areas of the navy?

SemperApollo

As stated before computer sims are great for procedures, learning VOR and DME work, etc. Knowing how to use them can make your time during a lesson more productive. They are also good for preparing you for flying into unfamiliar areas. If you want to know where to look for large visual checkpoints and get a feel for where a certain field is before going on a crosscountry, slew around in the sim.

However, be careful not to get too hooked on the stick/yoke sensitivity. Your seat in front of your computer does not move. Fly a real plane like you can on the sim and every dinner you ever ate will be all over the cockpit....that or your instructor will beat you mercilessly with the control lock.

Just $0.02 from a bug smasher:)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I am in the nuclear field currently, and they always rant and rave that it is the hardest school in the Navy ( I highly doubt it) but how hard is the flight path and how many people fail out of it and are forced into other areas of the navy?

<<Don Nomex flame suit>>

Been to Nuc school, doing flight school. Nuc school is academically, much more difficult. The days are longer, the material more ridiculous, and the testing/level of knowledge is just simply more difficult. That said, flight school is no free lunch. Not only do you have material that you need to absorb, but you have to teach your body how to fly, which isn't always easy. Additionally Primary is a more pressuirzed environment than Nuc school. Grades didn't matter there, (2.50...same size crow...did they still say that?) and although people tell you not to think about grades here, how the hell can you not? Bottom line, neither are easy...

Yes, people fail. Don't worry about it. Go into it KNOWING that you won't, and you will be fine. Do whatever it is you have to do to succeed.