• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Microsoft Flight Simulator?

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
"I'd like to bust your butt but I can't. I got another problem here. I gotta send somebody from this squadron to Miramar."

I fully believe that playing various flight sims over the year helped me score well on the ASTB, but going further than that and saying that they will help me become a better pilot... I'd be awfully skeptical.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
I haven't done nuc school in the navy, but I think the pressure cooker that sometimes gets to people in flight school is being tested on how fast you can pick something up. You can't go and study it, or even really think about it much. If you are shown something in a flight they want to see if you can perform it practically right away. Some can, some can't...and the grades will reflect that. It is a test of how fast you can pick up on (some) academic ideas and many physical applications (like an athletic event, in a lot of ways).

I am not sure if I am describing that very well. I imagine people who have felt the pressure there know what I mean. It is much different than taking a test or reciting something you had to learn.

As for the pure academic/studying part of primary, I am not suprised to hear the nuc school is more intense. I only thought the first couple weeks were a strain study-wise at primary. After that you have plenty of time to learn the information needed. Even with a beach close by.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Oops...and as for the actual topic...
I thought FS was good for instruments. It is like RIOT, but actually forced you to hit/hold altitude and airspeed while doing other stuff.

Junior

pilot
"I'd like to bust your butt but I can't. I got another problem here. I gotta send somebody from this squadron to Miramar."

I fully believe that playing various flight sims over the year helped me score well on the ASTB, but going further than that and saying that they will help me become a better pilot... I'd be awfully skeptical.
Yeah I was trying to imply that flight sims would help with the ASTB.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
The FS is also a good way to practice pattern work, and to a limited degree, course rules (especially the radio calls). But you can't really work on these until you get to Primary.