• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Midshipman escapes Kenyan riots

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Heh...TRA.

I was down in Nairobi in october, when all the electioneering was spinning up. The local talk at the time was that the candidates were making this a much more tribal and religious thing than is normal in Kenya. It's an unusual place, first-world modernity laid over a whooooole lot of really severe poverty. Not a recipe for stability. It's a shame, really - it's a beautiful country with a lot going for it if the people could just get their political shit together.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....I was down in Nairobi in october....

I was in Nairobi and Mombasa in August ... 1974

Speakin' of Kenyan riots .... and we almost started a riot @ the Tamarind Restaurant (M-Bassa) when we couldn't pay for what turned out to be a $400 dinner. :eek::eek:

$400. For 4 guys .... in 1974 dollars. :eek::eek:

It was forever known in the AirWing as the "Night of the Golden Lobsters" ... :D

dsc02029mk0.jpg

airwinger

pilot
Ahem don't know about 1974 but the tamarinddhow dining experience is out of this world, heard the current prez loves that place
http://tamarinddhow.com/

the violence was interesting, very localized. Watching the live coverage would make you think the entire city was ablaze yet driving through most parts it was mostly cops and enterprising newspaper vendors. The "CNN" effect I call it. I imagine that most of you who watched the LA riots from afar(say in san diego) in 92 would have been quite puzzled if your canadian friends had called very worried about you

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ahem don't know about 1974 but the tamarinddhow dining experience is out of this world, heard the current prez loves that place ......
WOW, Still goin' strong after all these years ..... the Tamarind is probably still living off the largess garnered from the "Night of the Golden Lobsters". :)

Cars in Kenya you say?? Not too many if you weren't white South African, local Brit, or Rhodesian in the ol' days. The windshield view in 1974 from my cab ...

HUJAMBO BWANA!!!:D

dsc01939wp2.jpg