• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

military aviation path

20vturbo

I, like probably everyone else, have dreamed of flying. I still run outside to watch jets fly by and I’m about to be 24! I was recently at a friends going away party (air force) and a marine recruiter was there. I got to talking to him and found out that they guarantee that if you pass the qualifications of a certain test that you will get trained as a pilot. I have always said that if I ever knew I had a shot I would take it, however I just got engaged (4/07 is the date), just purchased a house about 2 mo. ago. , and I have a steady career going now (would still give anything to have a career as a pilot) so I also have all of that to deal with and would love any personal experience or advice. I have completed my associates degree and will be attending a 4 yr school in the fall.

My questions is: Was the Marines recruiter correct that you can take a test and be guaranteed a slot to train to be a pilot before you sign your life away and also what are the chances of getting through all of the schools necessary to become a pilot? And now that I have been searching I have heard that Navy pilots have the same guarantee…is that true? I have been looking though the forum and there seems to be about 4 schools you go to for training. They all have abbreviations and some I am not familiar with. If anyone can expand on maybe what the washout rates/procedures are from signing up to being a pilot that would be great! Or if you can just point me in the right direction to find the info I would be grateful!

Thanks for the help :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Please don't quote me and you might want to ask in the Marine section but I do believe they have a pilot guarantee. The Navy does as well, through a specific program but again, not sure what it is. However, nobody can guarantee you a jet slot. The Navy's need and your grades will determine what a pilot gets when he or she finishes primary.

You have to do what you feel is right. Meaning, you now have a family and a good paying job. Are you willing to sacrifice the good pay for mulitple moves, deployments, time away from family, etc. You will hear this a lot, officer first, pilot second. Right now, the committent for pilot is what, 7-8 years after wings. So that means most likely you will have 10 years in before you can get out. Ten years is a long time. Like most I'm sure, I started out single and picked up a wife and daughter along the way. My family life is more important than anything so I have done my best to keep that stable. That meant sacrificing tours that might lead to things like command. I also had the benefit of flying a fleet aircraft that doesn't require as much as others in terms of work-ups, tactical knowledge (known in my case), etc.

pdx

HSM Pilot
If you search around this forum a bit more, you will find answers. Here are some pointers to get you started.

1. Yes, there is an aviation guarantee. If you are selected, you are guaranteed to start flight training. Whether you finish or not is up to you.

2. For you, the commissioning options are. Try for a 2 year NROTC scholarship, do the 2 year NROTC college program, try to join BDCP then go to OCS, or finish your degree and apply to OCS. There are Marine and Navy versions of all these programs. I believe the age limit states that pilots must commission before 27 1/2. Read the stickies and do a search on any of these terms - you will find tons of info.

3. After you commission (whatever route you take), training is as follows: TBS (marines only, 6 months), API (6 weeks), Primary (approx 6 months), pipeline selection (Marines - strike, helos, osprey, C-130, Navy - strike, helos, P-3, E-6), Advanced (depends on pipeline), WINGS (at this point you are a real aviator), RAG, then fleet.

4. If you are motivated, your chances of finishing are good. There is a slow but steady attrition rate throughout training, but most attritions are DORs not actual attrites! The training is hard, but it doesn't take a rocket scientiest. READ before you start asking what your chances are of getting a certain platform. It has been beat to death on this forum, and is very difficult to answer.

5. Is it worth leaving a comfortable and established life to pursue something unknown? Only you and your fiancee can really answer that, but I say YES.

6. Read this forurm, especially the stickies!

20vturbo

bunk22 said:
You have to do what you feel is right. Meaning, you now have a family and a good paying job. Are you willing to sacrifice the good pay for mulitple moves, deployments, time away from family, etc. You will hear this a lot, officer first, pilot second.

That is one of my biggest concerns is the family aspect. None of my family has ever been in the military so I don’t have any experience as far as family life goes. During those 10 to 20 years how is the family life? How long do you go without seeing your family and also what are the benefits, if any?

Thanks for the responses!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
20vturbo said:
That is one of my biggest concerns is the family aspect. None of my family has ever been in the military so I don’t have any experience as far as family life goes. During those 10 to 20 years how is the family life? How long do you go without seeing your family and also what are the benefits, if any?

For starters, your wife gets to bang other guys while you're on deployment, divorce you, and take you to the cleaners, but I digress. :D [/endjack]

Brett

20vturbo

Brett327 said:
For starters, your wife gets to bang other guys while you're on deployment, divorce you, and take you to the cleaners, but I digress. :D [/endjack]

Brett

ouch! but you still get to fly right?!?!! :icon_tong j/k

how does deployment work? how long are you usually gone? ect.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Brett327 said:

Brett

Brett, have much experience with this?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
20vturbo said:

Again, my lifestyle has been a bit better than others when it comes to deployment (COD guy). Less work-ups and generally work ashore when deployed so if I wanted, I could talk every day to the family. I also have yet to do a dissasociated sea tour, meaning a non-flying tour. I've been lucky in that the time I went through flight school, it took so long to get through with the large pools of aviators. May career progressed to the point that I would have had to leave shore duty early to do the dissasociated tour. I chose not to due to the family life. That hurt me as far as being competitive for command but that's what I chose. So, I've done two 6 month deployments, one 5 month, one 3 month and one 1 month deployment (IA). I'm not counting work-up time which for a COD guy, isn't much. If I had done it right with that non-flying tour, probably would have at least another 6 month deployment, maybe two.

So it can put a strain on a relationship being deployed for 6 months at a time. You have to do what you really want but know there are sacrifices to be made by both of you. I tell you though, flight school, if you go that route and make it, is like one long fraternity party. At least it was for me. Something I wouldn't trade for anything.

pdx

HSM Pilot
Brett327 said:
Come on, we've gone over this. Only second hand experience. ;)

Brett

If second-hand divorces count, everybody in the Navy has done it at least a dozen times.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pdx said:
If second-hand divorces count, everybody in the Navy has done it at least a dozen times.
Which has to make you wonder why guys keep allowing themselves to get burned. :confused:

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
20vturbo said:
no good things at all? :(

Ignore Brett, he is a mean ol' fun killer. Among officers that kind of stuff generally did not happen and was frowned upon. Not saying bad stuff happens, but it is not prevelant or inevitable.

Brett, he's new to the forum, give him a break!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
Ignore Brett, he is a mean ol' fun killer. Among officers that kind of stuff generally did not happen and was frowned upon. Not saying bad stuff happens, but it is not prevelant or inevitable.

Brett, he's new to the forum, give him a break!
Come on, Flash. That exact scenario happened with officers in YOUR squadron! :D

Brett