• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Officers...before and after

MrFreakinKite

I guess I will start this thread by telling about myself. I'm a senior in high school, and I want to be a military pilot. As you can see in my avatar, I decided to do this pretty early. I applied (with the other 15,000 fuckin people) to the USNA, got turned down, did not get an NROTC scholarship (yet?), but I still want to be an officer. I don't want to be the guy who goes to college, gets a high-paying job with a big company, retires with a nice 401k, and stays in the same state his whole life. I want to be the guy who spent a year killing pirates in Somalia, or in Afghanistan killing terrorists. I want to do something that I'm proud of.

I was talking to my grandfather the other day (20+ yrs AF pilot, Korean vet), and I was telling him that I'm kind of happy I didn't get those programs offered to me (mostly because I like keeping my head up when the chips are down), because then I could focus my energy towards studying engineering when I'm in college (so I could be good at something ELSE). I told him I wouldn't want to join the military if I knew there was no possibility that I couldn't fly. It's not exactly true, but I just think I would be more interested in being a mechanical engineer than a nuke.

Based on what I've told him and what my parents have told him about me (of course my parents would tell you I "have trouble following orders"), he thinks I have no business going into the military.

So I have to ask, how many of you military officers out there never had any problems with your parents because you were trained (I guess when you were born) to always do what you're told? And how many of you out there developed this trait AFTER you joined up?

Personally, I don't have an attitude problem. I see kids in class who just CAN'T STAND being told "no," "put your cell phone up," "take notes" and I think these people are just retarded.

And is it possible to go to OCS after college and not having done ROTC or anything like that and still become a good officer?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Go to college and focus on that. You can go to OCS on graduating and even have a guarantee of flight training, something USNA and NROTC can't do. I think that after a couple more years of maturity and independence your grandfather will have a different opinion. If he doesn't, you have to ask yourself why a man that knows you well, presumably wants the best for you, and spent 20 years as an AF officer, doesn't think you belong in the military. His opinion is valid. I suspect there is more to it then just back talking to your parents or not cleaning your room. Go to school. Try OCS in a few years.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I was talking to my grandfather the other day (20+ yrs AF pilot, Korean vet), and I was telling him that I'm kind of happy I didn't get those programs offered to me (mostly because I like keeping my head up when the chips are down), because then I could focus my energy towards studying engineering when I'm in college (so I could be good at something ELSE). I told him I wouldn't want to join the military if I knew there was no possibility that I couldn't fly. It's not exactly true, but I just think I would be more interested in being a mechanical engineer than a nuke.

There is more to the Navy or the military as a whole than SNA or Nuke.. the information for those are in other threads. The magic word for google will be "Sea Bees"

Based on what I've told him and what my parents have told him about me (of course my parents would tell you I "have trouble following orders"), he thinks I have no business going into the military.

So I have to ask, how many of you military officers out there never had any problems with your parents because you were trained (I guess when you were born) to always do what you're told? And how many of you out there developed this trait AFTER you joined up?

You are joining, not your parents. And parents being who they are, will get used to it. Or at least thats the after-school special version.

It's really more like, do what you want, fuck whatever anyone else thinks.

Finally, OCS/OCC/PLC/OTS/ROTC/AFROTC/NROTC/AFA/USNA does not train you to become a lap dog so you can take that "do whatever your told".
You will be trained to think out of the box, you will apply it, and you will do what your told because that is (for whatever reason: because it makes sense, because it causes you less grief down the road) what you want to do.

Personally, I don't have an attitude problem. I see kids in class who just CAN'T STAND being told "no," "put your cell phone up," "take notes" and I think these people are just retarded.

And is it possible to go to OCS after college and not having done ROTC or anything like that and still become a good officer?

Good attitude to have.

The OCS better/worse argument has been discussed to have found NO conclusion. Every program has it's benefits, and every program has had it's share of tools hit the fleet. Some OCS grads may even take offense to that statement.

And on another note, You can be in NROTC without a scholarship, it's called being a college programmer. A lot of times college programmers pick up scholarships anyways, it at least makes you a lil more competitive for one.

Do a search, and you will find most of your questions answered here.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
I say that if you know you can handle being told what to do from time to time in the military, then you know you can.

Alot of times going for something your passionate about can bring out qualities that many did not know you had. So if this is your real passion, I say go for it.

Also check out the BDCP program, you can't join untill your junior year but you can start planning for it now. Through the program you get paid and selected for your career pipeline. For example, im finishing my junior year of college, getting paid, and when I graduate I go to OCS and Flight school by contract. Pending I don't f*ck up.

Educate yourself of military life and all the options, weight them, and decide for your self if its worth the risk and rewards.

Your the one who signs the contract, it's your life. Listen to everyone and use all the (credible) information for the best decision.

JTB7

I am not an expert on this stuff, but I have acquired a wealth of information on this site. My parents tell me I dont listen also, but any Marine/Naval personnel would talk to me I will listen. I think all parents tell their kids that one time or another. I think if you have the drive to be an officer you can do it.

If you dont get the NROTC scholarship you should still attend NROTC, as I heard you can pick up a two year scholarship if you prove yourself.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Is the College Program NROTC option still available? That's how I sarted then picked up a 2-yr NROTC scholarship. I wouldn't say NROTC is anywhere near the real Navy but it gives a nice little insight into it. I got 6 hours in the TA-7C plus flight time in the T-34C, T-44A and TH-57. Spent 4 weeks on the USS Lang as well. This was from 1988-1993.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Is the College Program NROTC option still available? That's how I sarted then picked up a 2-yr NROTC scholarship. I wouldn't say NROTC is anywhere near the real Navy but it gives a nice little insight into it. I got 6 hours in the TA-7C plus flight time in the T-34C, T-44A and TH-57. Spent 4 weeks on the USS Lang as well. This was from 1988-1993.

It was in 2006-2007 when I was in NROTC, I was a college programmer.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
College Program is still available, but frequently there is little budget and/or very few quotas. Lately, it has been hard to get.

Lobster

I have to get PRK so BDCP is basically out of the question... unfortunately...

Seems like it'd be a worthwhile investment...spend some money to make some money...

PRK has nothing to do with your selection in to BDCP.

You can't even apply for BDCP until your Junior year, so plenty of time to get PRK before then.

If he's an engineering major he can apply after his Frosh year its a technical degree so all he has to do is be 36 months from graduation, non-techs are only eligible 24 months before graduation.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
To add on to this yes the college program is still avail, and actually I hopefully should hear back within a week or so if I got picked up for it or not.

I Just wanted to give a little bit of insight and my 2cents to the OP. I am sorry to hear you did not get picked up for NROTC or USNA off the get go.. Both (depending on the school for NROTC) are very competitive programs to get picked up for. So don't beat yourself up too bad over it. As most of the officers have said on this board and what I will re-iterate as living, breathing proof... "Where there is a will, there is a way" (Read my avatar quote) I am 26 years old and wanted to become an officer since I was 18. Now granted I've had my own curve balls thrown my way or what not.. but I still have not let it get me down.. As I stated earlier I am trying for the 2yr scholarship..If I do not get that I am ALREADY studying for my ASTB for BDCP..

It's all about how bad you want it and what you are willing to do to get there... There is a WIDE variety of commissioning programs offered that you can get picked up for. Do a bit of research on this site and you will find out about them..

Ultimately, the best advice I can give you is the same advice most of these Officers have already given you.. Focus on school and excel to be the best.. keep your eye on the prize and do not give up. Be mindful of constructive criticism, but never listen to any negative bullshit people will throw your way (And trust me, for some reason people like to do that when they know you are going for something like this.. because it gets them thinking they are inferior)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Wow you're ol.... no I won't go there. :D

Yes you can still "walk on" as a college programmer. Assuming you start school in the fall, you can earn a merit-based scholarship as early as the spring semester. If not and you still perform within standards, you can always pick up a regular scholarship the following year.

As for the PRK, wait until you have an actual Navy physical before getting it done. I thought I needed one throughout college before finding out my vision was 20/40, just within limits. Feels great to save 3-4 thousand dollars.

Either way Good luck.