• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Military Officers...before and after

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, I'm old lol but not A4's old :icon_tong I didn't have the grades to go to the Naval Academy or pick up an NROTC scholarship so I went CP to get my foot in the door. Just a suggestion.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
As for the PRK, wait until you have an actual Navy physical before getting it done. I thought I needed one throughout college before finding out my vision was 20/40, just within limits. Feels great to save 3-4 thousand dollars.

Either way Good luck.

haha for some of us it's not so close ;)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
As you can see, there are about a hundred ways to access into the officer corps. I highly recommend PLC-Air and BDCP.

And tell your gramps and your momma and daddy to pound sand. Obedience to your parents as a 17 year old boogerflicker in no way equals suitability as a grown ass man to be a military officer, or even to be an enlisted man. Anybody who thinks much different is ignorant.

ZekeBathory

Doe-eyed Hopeful
Based on what I've told him and what my parents have told him about me (of course my parents would tell you I "have trouble following orders"), he thinks I have no business going into the military.

So I have to ask, how many of you military officers out there never had any problems with your parents because you were trained (I guess when you were born) to always do what you're told? And how many of you out there developed this trait AFTER you joined up?

I'm not an officer, but I'll tell you it's an incredibly foolish thing to compare your home life with military service. You'll come to find your parents asking you to do the dishes isn't such a big freaking deal after all. If you take issue with that, you might consider a different path.

No matter what you choose to do with yourself, have some respect for your Mom and your Pop. You can't take all the credit; they helped make you who you are.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
ok, well I was out searching through the recently updated threads, minding my own business when I came upon this gem

At this point, I just go on Mondays and "participate actively in unit activities, wear my uniform properly... yada yada yada" It's totally gay.

However, had I joined when I was younger, I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

This kind of attitude and this kind of commitment to an organization is the kinda crap that would make your grandpa think you'd be a shitty officer.

seriously, If you don't want to be a part of something quit and don't waste anyone elses time.
And If you actually do participate in CAP, don't come on a forum trashing it because you think you'll save face with the officers on here.

There is a difference between being an active CAP member and being a tool, and you tried so hard to not come off as a CAP tool, that you went right into the other direction to being a Douche Nozzle.:icon_rage

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
I would contact an officer recruiter and get the ball rolling. Go to meps, get your official vision and then inquire about PRK. Take a loan if you have to, wait six months, and by the time your a sophmore you should be good to go for BDCP.

You will more than make the money back through BDCP.

If USNA is out, ROTC out (depends on your school), you have BDCP or waiting and applying to OCS after graduation left basically. BDCP is in my opinion my first choice anyways. Take the ASTB and see where you stand. If you suck, study your ass off for the next 6 months while your eyes heal and take it again (remember 3 times MAX for life).

Just don't give up. If this is what you want, make it happen.

Also remember, if you don't have the heart for it, don't get your self into it. You won't make it and going to great lakes will suck compared to serving as an officer.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ok, well I was out searching through the recently updated threads, minding my own business when I came upon this gem

Originally Posted by MrFreakinKite

At this point, I just go on Mondays and "participate actively in unit activities, wear my uniform properly... yada yada yada" It's totally gay.

This kind of attitude and this kind of commitment to an organization is the kinda crap that would make your grandpa think you'd be a shitty officer.

AV8 has brought this right around where I started it. You guys are so eager to share your successes and help the guy out you missed a huge point. Just why does this guy's grandfather, who is a 20 year AF officer, think his own grandson does not belong in the military? Does that not bother you guys in the least?

MrFreakinKite

seriously, If you don't want to be a part of something quit and don't waste anyone elses time.
And If you actually do participate in CAP, don't come on a forum trashing it because you think you'll save face with the officers on here.

There is a difference between being an active CAP member and being a tool, and you tried so hard to not come off as a CAP tool, that you went right into the other direction to being a Douche Nozzle.:icon_rage

There's a lot behind that story that you don't know, and I really don't feel like getting into. And that post was about 2 weeks before I DID quit.

I'm guessing you're in CAP? I'm sorry if I offended you.

MrFreakinKite

AV8 has brought this right around where I started it. You guys are so eager to share your successes and help the guy out you missed a huge point. Just why does this guy's grandfather, who is a 20 year AF officer, think his own grandson does not belong in the military? Does that not bother you guys in the least?

This is something that I just don't understand. I've fucked off a lot in these past couple of years, and I know I've made the wrong impression on him in some ways. But I grew out of that attitude/mindset.

He has never seen the side of me that makes me think I could do it. Right now, the only time that part of me comes out is in the boxing ring

It sounds like I'm just being poetic, but seriously, I know I have it in me.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
There's a lot behind that story that you don't know, and I really don't feel like getting into. And that post was about 2 weeks before I DID quit.

I'm guessing you're in CAP? I'm sorry if I offended you.

Not offended, I just hate when I waste my time with someone with a bad attitude.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is something that I just don't understand. I've fucked off a lot in these past couple of years, and I know I've made the wrong impression on him in some ways. But I grew out of that attitude/mindset.

He has never seen the side of me that makes me think I could do it. Right now, the only time that part of me comes out is in the boxing ring

It sounds like I'm just being poetic, but seriously, I know I have it in me.

No one on this forum can know your personal life like your grandfather and you. Consider this. Some of the guys on the board just might see things like your grandfather. If you can convince your grandfather you are right for the military then maybe you can convince an OCS board.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
No one on this forum can know your personal life like your grandfather and you. Consider this. Some of the guys on the board just might see things like your grandfather. If you can convince your grandfather you are right for the military then maybe you can convince an OCS board.

I concur Wink, HOWEVER I'm sure that if there were Military officers who knew me in HS or early college, they'd say there was NOOO way I'd be able to make it as an officer/aviator in the military and they'd be wrong, since here I am. People change, mature, and with enough goal-setting, hard work, tenacity, and desire for change can achieve even something so seemingly incongruent with their historical personality/work ethic/ethos.

(gee.... Joboy666 circa 2005 rings a bell...) :icon_wink

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't judge me based on CAP, it's very inaccurate. You would have had to known the people where I was at and the events that took place to understand why I had my attitude towards CAP.
Maybe, but the post showed no respect for the CAP as a whole or even the individuals in that unit. At least some, and I suspect most, of the youth in the unit were serious about their participation no matter how lame it all seemed to you. That they stuck it out and put something into it probably benefited them in some way. That you didn't, means you probably missed something. And as some one who has spent years with a couple youth organizations and has had a passing associating with a couple others, don't be so quick to disrespect the effort of the adult leadership. Those guys could be out fishing, golfing or just sipping a cold one. But instead they volunteered their time so guys like you could be exposed to the CAP and find it "gay". I know some CAP, JrROTC, BSA, Sea Cadets, you name it, can be tiresome. Some are run better then others. But your lack of perspective and deference, especially given your youth, in your critique of your CAP program is notable, particularly when you want to be in the military.
Hey, it isn't the end of the world. Just know it might be something you can work on over the next couple years before you can apply to OCS.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I concur Wink, HOWEVER I'm sure that if there were Military officers who knew me in HS or early college, they'd say there was NOOO way I'd be able to make it as an officer/aviator in the military and they'd be wrong, since here I am. People change, mature, and with enough goal-setting, hard work, tenacity, and desire for change can achieve even something so seemingly incongruent with their historical personality/work ethic/ethos.

(gee.... Joboy666 circa 2005 rings a bell...) :icon_wink
Ah, actually, I did meet you in college, knew some of your buds, talked to profs and had a hand in your application. I even did my part to ensure you survived long enough to get from joyboy to Ottowrote8 on AW. I'd be one of the guys you can thank for being fully aware of people's capacity to grow, change and mature. That is why I never said Freakinkite didn't have a chance or didn't belong in the military. I have advised of some red flags my experience tells me might be an issue. Then I encouraged him to go to school, mature, gain perspective, and apply for OCS/BDCP in a couple years. I could have said the same thing to you some time ago. And as you point out, it would have been good advice, no?