• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mishap in Key West

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
One of the local Flight Surgeons informed me that VFA-125 had a misahp in Key West today

I sure hope it is a rumor....

KBayDog

http://www.nbc6.net/news/6791702/detail.html

Military Jet Crashes Near Key West; Pilot Rescued
KEY WEST, Fla.

POSTED: 5:53 pm EST February 6, 2006
UPDATED: 6:46 pm EST February 6, 2006

KEY WEST, Fla. -- A fighter jet pilot was rescued after ejecting from his plane as it crashed near a naval air station, authorities said Monday.

The pilot, who was not immediately identified, ejected from the Navy FA18 fighter jet and was picked up by a U.S. Coast Guard helicopter, said Lt. Cmdr Chris O'Neil, spokesman for the 7th Coast Guard District in Miami.

The pilot was being taken to a nearby medical facility and his condition was not known, O'Neil said.

"I can confirm that a Navy FA18 crashed in the vicinity. One pilot from the aircraft has been recovered by the Coast Guard," O'Neil said.

The pilot was the only person aboard the plane, O'Neil said.

The plane crashed about five nautical miles south of Boca Chica in the Florida Keys, O'Neil said.

Navy spokesman Jim Brooks said the jet had taken off from the nearby Naval Air Station Key West.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Navy looks at every bit of evidence it can find to create an accurate reconstruction of events. Personal testimony will be weighed along with the data from any flight recorders. They may even salvage the entire wreckage for more info. The weight of each bit of info lies within the Mishap Board. Ultimately all the info will be used to tell the story. At least most of the time it will. Each case will have a different outcome on a career. There is no cookie cutter answer on that one.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm guessing if the jet went down 5 miles from Boca Chica, they will indeed recover the whole jet. It's not that deep in that neck of the woods. It's also amazing how much info they can piece together when they have a recovered airframe.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Yes it is, I got to do a middy cruise with them last summer, all great guys. Good to hear the pilot made it okay.

Thats the 7th Class A mishap this (fiscal) year.:(

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
firefriendly said:
So in situations like this, does the aircraft record the last minutes/seconds of the flight and does the Navy analyze all that and then make a decision, or does the pilots personal account have much weight? How do they treat ejections (concerning the pilots career) whether it was the pilots fault or not?

ECAMS is the system which does that. Da black box.

Enhanced Comprehensive Asset Management System

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Next time I'm just going to delete the thread instead of locking it.

mike bennett

F/A-18 Crash

The aircraft that went down is an F/A-18D - two seater but only one crew
I checked the press releases from the 7th District Coast Guard and the NAS Key West - both were very helpful - the information is from that allowed in the public domain - please view my website where I try to keep up to date
regards
Mike Bennett
Project Get Out and Walk
www.ejection-history.org.uk

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No reason to lock or delete...everything here from start to finish came from news reports on Feb 6th and later.

Now if I posted stuff from navy message traffic or names not yet released, that would be bad and eligible for a wrist slap.

batman527

Banned
I don't see "M" anywhere in VFA-125". I don't think it's there. Maybe I'm wrong. I may also be a smart ass. :icon_smil