• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mishap videos

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What does this mean?
Uhh Joe, I think I can clear this up. On the day/night you were born (from my Flt Logbook), I was a 26-yr old LTjg, at sea doing day & night refresher landings on our new USS RANGER, in our new A4D-2s. The following month, Ranger would leave on her 2nd Westpac deployment ever (and my first of seven)! I kinda look at it as mature.. not old [big smilie]!

*Just out of arresting gear. Was tanker for Ranger family day airshow off SFO coast - 11-06-'59.
11.06.59 Hugh Magee CVA-61.jpg

Last edited:

Joe Kaposi

Uhh Joe, I think I can clear this up. On the day/night you were born (from my Flt Logbook), I was a 26-yr old LTjg, at sea doing day & night refresher landings on our new USS RANGER, in our new A4D-2s. The following month, Ranger would leave on her 2nd Westpac deployment ever (and my first of seven)! I kinda look at it as mature.. not old [big smilie]!

*Just out of arresting gear. Was tanker for Ranger family day airshow off SFO coast - 11-06-'59.
View attachment 12859

Nice photo. We operated A-4's right up to about 1980. I think a couple of mishaps resulted in them not going to sea for Melbourne's last 1 or 2 cruises. I had an A-4 flip over my head into the sea one day during my time aboard (77-79), i was stbd chockman, sitting on the main wheel when a huge quartering swell put the ship into a heavy roll, as i was only inches from the deck edge i had a fantastic view. Another time i did'nt duck when i should've during a recovery in fly1 and took a quick trip down the deck.